• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen page

26 posts in this topic

I'm just curious at this stage (especially due to high $:£ ratio) - but how much does anyone reckon this page would go for...?

Watcmen page - from Issue 1

Hello Simon.

I remember visiting London's COMIC SHOWCASE in the late 1980s/early 1990s when the shop was in Neal Street and they had racks full of original art. Bought myself some early Kirby FANTASTIC FOUR pages for £110 each (about $220), amongst other things.

WATCHMEN, V FOR VENDATTA, etc, were not really for me (and I'm sure there must have been lots of potentially valuable pages I flipped past with no interest).

Out of curiosity, do you remember how much you paid for your WATCHMEN page?

I also recall the art in the basement in Neal Street. I bought 6 quality Watchmen pages for an average of gbp 400.00 per page. Seemed quite expensive at the time. Similarly, I wasn't aware of V then, and likely missed them. Last I recall Comic Showcase was in Charing Cross Road - my kids used to go there to get my Christmas presents. Are they still around ? Comic Showcase / Paul H - not the kids.

I also recall the art in the basement in Neal Street. I bought 6 quality Watchmen pages for an average of gbp 400.00 per page. Seemed quite expensive at the time. Similarly, I wasn't aware of V then, and likely missed them. Last I recall Comic Showcase was in Charing Cross Road - my kids used to go there to get my Christmas presents. Are they still around ? Comic Showcase / Paul H - not the kids.

Nope, Showcase has closed now, after a big down closing party, and Uncle Paulie has retired to the coast.

I blame him for putting me on the road to penury!

What pages did you get?

Joseph

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

I do indeed - it was £60, though listed at £65. The owner gave me £5 off for some reason...

I remember thinking what a bargain, £5 off...

Paul Hudson. Nice bloke. I used to negotiate discount with him ( a lot of the American art was on consignment from, I think, Scott Dunbier). Paul would explain that if the art was on consignment, there wasn't much room for discount. Still, I usually had a decent amount shaved off the total amount!

Paul used to own the famous Frank Bellamy HEROS scene featuring the huge battle scene (it was featured in MASTER OF COMICBOOK ART by Peter Garriock) and was instrumental in Bellamy winning an award in a 1970s American event. Paul sold the art to a mutual collector friend. Spectacular piece of art!

I still have no interest in any of that WATCHMEN art (lol)!

Not my cup of coffee (can't stand the tatste of tea) . . .

Ewan!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Orig Poster...how much do you want for it?

Hi Chris - yes still fighting the Copper Corner! Hope you're well.

this advert is from Speakeasy (an UK fanzine) from February 1987 - which I guess was published while the series was still being published.

I suspect there's a lot of artwork out there in the UK - probably many pages with lapsed collectors....

One of my big collecting errors was NOT buying 3 pages back in 2006 from a chap at the London Mart - he was asking for £1,000 - one of the pages was the one where Rorshach kills the dog... It'd probably sell for 5x that now.

I would sell the page on ebay - but wait for the movie to maximise! Unless you want to sell it to me!

Dave Gibbons said at the recent Bristol convention he really regretted sellling all the artwork.

I also have a fond memory of meeting Dave Gibbons & Alan Moore in 1987 (I was 15) when they did the trade paperwork signing tour... again my big collecting error was selling my signed copy (and promo smiley) for all of £10...

Original Watchmen collectibles are fascinating - here's some more cool items... that I wish I hadn't sold...

watchmenmetal2.jpg

watchmenmetalback.jpg

139_3935.jpg

watchmencj.jpg

Dave Gibbons said at the recent Bristol convention he really regretted sellling all the artwork.

Well now there is an understatement !

How much would all 12 issues of OA be worth on the market if he had them ALL locked up? half a mil? a mil? or more ?!?!

Well now there is an understatement !

How much would all 12 issues of OA be worth on the market if he had them ALL locked up? half a mil? a mil? or more ?!?!

Well, I've found where the covers were sold, at least once... These pics are from a Sotherby's catalogue from 1993....

Estimate of $20-25,000 - guess you could times that by 10 easily now...

watchmencovers2.jpg

watchmencovers.jpg

also, here's the original t-shirts from 1987

aug038.jpg