• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 CGC 9.6 slight (P): Monster-PLOD on ebay !

61 posts in this topic

You know I just looked at that book closely. For some reason I thought it was trimmed but it ain't. I would actually buy that book...if it hasn't been tampered with. It's pretty sweet.

R.

It may have graded 7.0 to 7.5 without the work...sounds like basic small piece replacement ...although the piece looks slightly larger than the auction description indicates.The piece seems visable at close inspection.Resto IS SUCH A SCARLET LETTER IN OUR HOBBY.....but from a rational standpoint, that book should be worth every bit of a 7.0 maybe higher.Unfortunately, resto carries so much more stigma above 10 K....personally,I've become very fond of all of the pro restored books that I've owned...but I do still tend to shy away from trimming.That recent 9.2 trimmed JIM 89 WAS very tempting.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This book was initially put forth at $75K a couple of months ago...also went back up for the $49995 and closed with no bids...If I had the expendable dough for this book at $50K I think it's worth it...

He went fishing back then, and we all knew the book was highly suspect. Now he's finally had it CGC'd, and asking $50K... I see this as quite high 9.6 or not, again DD shows the true nature of the books he's pimping.

He actually bought this already slabbed on CL a few years ago for I believe somewhere in the $15K range. Not to legitimize any of his other books, but this is not a copy that he has tried to sell raw.

That's right. It sold for $16,000 within an hour of listing on ComicLink. There were three buy orders placed on the book. I was one of them. I thought I had won the book, but I was a tad too slow. The book is the same book in the same CGC holder it was in before ComicKeys/robojo bought it from ComicLink.

As I recall, the book appeared to be a 9.0 before the restoration, and had extremely minor work done to it (a couple of hits of color touch and a corner squared off with a tiny piece added). It sold on Heritage in 2003 for $8,000 in an auction that I completely missed (the big Nic Cage auction, IIRC) because I wasn't following Heritage very closely at the time. :(

I think the book is still fairly priced at $50,000. I thought it was worth that when it sold on CL for $16,000 a few years ago, and the buy-order frenzy at $16,000 suggests that it was priced way too low then, despite the fact that it had sold the year before for $8,000. The biggest thing keeping that book from selling for more is the purple label, IMO. It's gorgeous.

How can a book be Slight (P) with color touch, tear seal AND piece added? That would seem moderate restoration to me.

Very small piece...likely the book would have graded high even without the resto.

R.

How can a book be Slight (P) with color touch, tear seal AND piece added? That would seem moderate restoration to me.

The number of things done to a book do not necessarily dictate whether it will be slight, moderate, or extensive restoration. The more important factor is how much non-original material was added. That is why a book that has only been cleaned and pressed will get a Slight (P) notation even if what was removed was a huge stain that would have caused the grade to be much lower.

The piece added to the AF#15 in question was the size of a cross-section of a Tic-Tac (like 1/16th of an inch square at the spine corner, if I recall the original ComicLink description correctly), the color touch is just a few very tiny spots (including the tiny replaced piece, plus a spine stress or two), and the tear seal is a tiny edge tear seal that was around 1/16th of an inch long. All of the work is essentially invisible unless you really look for it and know what to look for. The book is 99.9+% as original and was probably an 8.5 or 9.0 before the work was done. That's why it gets a Slight (P) notation. It takes a lot more restoration than that to get to Moderate, let alone Extensive.

SOLD. Do you think it will end up in the club?

50,300- I assume that is a record for a restored silver age book.

Excuse my ignorance, - but which club will it possibly end up in??

Why... the super exclusive Amazing Fantasy #15 club. Membership fees include a picture, story, and a post.

That was interesting. See below.

Why... the super exclusive Amazing Fantasy #15 club. Membership fees include a picture, story, and a post.

Well, - irony or not (its hard to decide on the net)... it aint that exclusive that club is it? I mean the dudes there are flashing 0.5 copies (or worse :sick:)

Well, - irony or not (its hard to decide on the net)... it aint that exclusive that club is it? I mean the dudes there are flashing 0.5 copies (or worse :sick:)

The price of a 0.5 is substantially higher than the average club membership fee!

Paratrooper. Please substantiate your allegations of 'shilling'.

To put up accusations on other members with no argument and no reasoning, - there is a word for that, and that is shere harassment, isn't it. Join in the dialoque in stead. That is a lot more fun.

Are you to decide whether there shall be a thread on these boards on ASM #2 or AF 15, restored or unrestored or other relevant silver-age auctions going on at ebay or C-Link?

Obviously you want to play 'the censorship sherif' here on these boards. But make sure that your conduct does not fall into shere harassment. Because harassment is a violation of board rules! I see You have harassed another thread in the resto-section. Again with unfounded accusation of "fishing" and "shilling". Fishing what !?! dare I ask.

Paratrooper. Please substantiate your allegations of 'shilling'.

To put up accusations on other members with no argument and no reasoning, - there is a word for that, and that is shere harassment, isn't it. Join in the dialoque in stead. That is a lot more fun.

Are you to decide whether there shall be a thread on these boards on ASM #2 or AF 15, restored or unrestored or other relevant silver-age auctions going on at ebay or C-Link?

Obviously you want to play 'the censorship sherif' here on these boards. But make sure that your conduct does not fall into shere harassment. Because harassment is a violation of board rules! I see You have harassed another thread in the resto-section. Again with unfounded accusation of "fishing" and "shilling". Fishing what !?! dare I ask.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOD FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! :baiting::makepoint::sumo: