• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any keys here?

224 posts in this topic

maybe so, but Ghost Rider is on his like 4th series and Moon Knight is on his second.

Marvel/DC speaking, no really important 1st appearances in the copper age.

(besides ASM 300, which you can find all over the place)

NEW MUTANTS 98 could be huge depending on the movie.He probally is considered the Wolverine of the copper age. any other super heroes that debuted in the copper age that made it as big as Deadpool? only for Marvel/DC characters. Valiant,toys and TMNT not included.

i think "key" is thrown around way too nilly dilly (always wanted to use that). blade? who cares, moon knight? really now...who cares. but the same can be said for all periods, 1st ant man...big deal, 1st gambit? a key? hardly.

that's a pretty sad statement, and a huge reflection on diminishing readership. There's no "significant" 1st appearances not because there haven't been any new heroes created but because nobody's reading them..... and therefore no one gives a damn

IMO, most of the great stories during this time period didn't introduce new, ongoing characters which doesn't necessarily signify diminishing readership. Maybe it reflects loyalty to the tried-and-true.

that's a pretty sad statement, and a huge reflection on diminishing readership. There's no "significant" 1st appearances not because there haven't been any new heroes created but because nobody's reading them..... and therefore no one gives a damn

or crappy new characters! :gossip:

I think if you look past DC, there are a bunch of characters with long-lasting appeal. Not sure when copper ends, but:

TMNT, Bone, Usagi, Sandman, Preacher, are good for starters.

with the whole Indie Explosion thing, you've pretty well got to assume that many of the "keys" from Copper would be away from the big two. The problem, as it were, with many of these is that they are keys perhaps more for their historical importance and effect on the industry than solely for the sake of the characters and/or the stories themselves.

With the exception of TMNT... then maybe Usagi... then maybe Grendel or Bone or The Tick(?!?) it's not like a lot of these indie-key books continue to have a large fan base or continual readership. And, really, not even TMNT is doing that well on the comics front. But the historical significance of how these books were made, how they found their way into popular culture, etc... that's pretty key. But it's just not typically something that makes a comic collector stand up and take notice.

Or maybe that's all hooey. I haven't actually thought that much about the difference b/t "key" to a story or development or a character vs. "key" to the industry. But maybe it means something...

I agree, by the 1990s, the Big Two shouldn't have many key issues

because they're not introducing anyone of importance, they're not doing anything new,

and they're not making any significant alterations to their existing characters.

The reason that the 1960s are so important is that the "new company" (Marvel) did so much

to establish the future of their universe. D.C. keys from the 1960s are generally those

books which also do something "radically different" like (or in response to) Marvel.

I'd say it's pretty clear why people are listing independent books as the future keys for the 1990s. They have the only valid claim to "originality" for the era. Marvel and DC keys exist for the Copper Age, but they'll hardly be the biggest keys. In fact, they'll likely be minor ones when it comes to the sale prices of high grade copies.

The key "regular issue" books like Bone #1, or even Harbinger #1 will always be bigger "keys"

on the market than whatever Superman did in his 50th year, or what Spider-man was doing in his 30th.

Let's face it... the keys for any era are all about "what's new" and

the answer for Marvel and D.C. in the 1990s was "not much".

valiantman- excellent post, I could not have said it better myself.

The 90s also saw a big turn around from ongoing series to creator-driven finite series with concrete endings. (Preacher, Sandman, Starman, etc.) The fact that these series ended means that the characters are less in the public's conciousness today, as opposed to Superman, etc.

From the 90s, Bone is likely the one with the longest lasting impression, now that it is in full color books in bookstores, and will eventually be animated. I think it's sold in the millions by now.

You would think with all the money Marvel and DC had since the 1980`s they would come up with more important new characters, as it stands now we got 2 of significance by the big two, Deadpool and Cable and the funny thing is they were both created by Liefeld. that seems to say a lot about the big two.

DC has no new characters that have made any impact.

You would think with all the money Marvel and DC had since the 1980`s they would come up with more important new characters, as it stands now we got 2 of significance by the big two, Deadpool and Cable and the funny thing is they were both created by Liefeld. that seems to say a lot about the big two.

DC has no new characters that have made any impact.

Well, it's still early to know about longterm impact... but I'd say that Venom is a "staple" in the Spider-man mythos, and he has a Copper Age beginning.

For D.C., you've got two new villains Doomsday and Bane...

both were very important for a short period of time... and Azrael.

Depending on when the Copper Age begins, though, the most important Marvel and DC books

may be the Secret Wars and Crisis on Infinite Earths series. They're not very valuable

because of the large print runs, but in terms of "what they started" in massive storylines,

they will probably be viewed as the "first" of what has become an industry standard.

To me I am more inclined to put keys from into two major categories.

Major Keys and Minor Keys

Off course I think you know what I mean when talking about the major keys.

A lot of the minor keys seem to be of characters are from 1983-current.

In my opinion there really has not been a major 1st appearance since the 1970’s in an any publishing comic company.

Venom, Lobo, Electra, Carnage, Image/Valiant characters, etc are not major keys to me.

I also think scarcity comes into play a little as well.

There is nothing key about going to a comic convention and seeing 500 copies of ASM 300 AVAILABLE.

In my opinion there really has not been a major 1st appearance since the 1970’s in an any publishing comic company.

Have you ever read Bone? If so, have you ever tried to find a copy of Bone #1?

Bone is cool, but he is still not a major character by the masses.

I am not saying he is small potatoes, but I dont think you can consider him a major character.

Yes Bone #1 is vey hard to Find just like TMNT #1. hm

To me I am more inclined to put keys from into two major categories.

Major Keys and Minor Keys

Off course I think you know what I mean when talking about the major keys.

A lot of the minor keys seem to be of characters are from 1983-current.

Venom, Lobo, Electra, Carnage, Image/Valiant characters, etc are not major keys to me.

There is nothing key about going to a comic convention and seeing 500 copies of ASM 300 AVAILABLE.

While it doesn't necessarily mean permanent success, the creation of successful major movies about characters is likely to cement their importance in the comic world for years to come... as a result, I'd say that Hellboy books have the possibility of becoming major keys, though the Dime Press #4 is non-domestic, the San Diego Comic-Con #2 has kind of a stupid cover (to be considered an important Hellboy book), and Next Men #21 is a nice book, but about 3rd in terms of Hellboy appearances.

Major keys tend to "have it all", and even though Hellboy has a movie franchise,

there doesn't seem to be a Hellboy key issue that "has it all".

The jury is still out on Watchmen.

(Obviously, the book is important, but it hasn't really become a "major key".)

Bone is cool, but he is still not a major character by the masses.

I am not saying he is small potatoes, but I dont think you can consider him a major character.

Yes Bone #1 is vey hard to Find just like TMNT #1. hm

Depends on what you mean by masses. Watch this.