• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whopping 30% Increase by Collectibles insurance agency

44 posts in this topic

collectibles insurance agency welcomes its new underwriter Lloyds of London to the fold with a mind blowing 30% INCREASE in polocy premium according to the math on my new polocy.

Man, not a good day at all.Just got my 22% increase in my Con edison[electric bill and my 20% increase in my water bill.

A couple of years ago Collectibles Insurance Agency almost DOUBLED my rates in 2 years and I didn't file one single claim! So guess where I told them to stick it? :devil:

Mike

Heh heh, there's NOTHING an insurance agent hates to hear more than

"YOU'RE FIRED!"

in a disgusted voice from an irate customer.

Most of the time you can shop around and find a better deal....

collectibles insurance agency welcomes its new underwriter Lloyds of London to the fold with a mind blowing 30% INCREASE in polocy premium according to the math on my new polocy.

Man, not a good day at all.Just got my 22% increase in my Con edison[electric bill and my 20% increase in my water bill.

They raised my OA insurance about 40% in a single year about 3 years back and could not be bothered to explain it to me or work it out in any way. So I fired them.

This was around the same time that the rate charts that you could look up online coindicentally disappeared for about 6 months. I don't know if they ever put them back up online but there is nothing like hiding the most important information from potential customers to really instill confidence in your operation. (thumbs u

C

I'm wondering, I have renters insurance and my wife and I added about 30k of extra coverage into our policy for my comic, bust, and statue collection. Should I consider dropping it and going with something like Collectibles Insurance Agency instead, or is what I already have sufficient?

I'm wondering, I have renters insurance and my wife and I added about 30k of extra coverage into our policy for my comic, bust, and statue collection. Should I consider dropping it and going with something like Collectibles Insurance Agency instead, or is what I already have sufficient?

You had better check your policy to make sure it covers collectibles. Most renter's and homeowner's policies will have limitations or express exclusions for collectibles and art. You might need to contact your insurance agent to get a specific rider for collectibles.

Hmm, we've read through the policy and it doesn't state any exclusions. We specifically added the extra coverage after speaking with an insurance agent and having them advise us on how much we needed to add to cover everything. I am going to take a look at the policy again just to make sure there is no funny business...

You had better check your policy to make sure it covers collectibles. Most renter's and homeowner's policies will have limitations or express exclusions for collectibles and art. You might need to contact your insurance agent to get a specific rider for collectibles.

Very true.

Hmm, we've read through the policy and it doesn't state any exclusions. We specifically added the extra coverage after speaking with an insurance agent and having them advise us on how much we needed to add to cover everything. I am going to take a look at the policy again just to make sure there is no funny business...

They are not exclusions, they are usually not covered at all. It's like a diamond ring, you need to add a special rider for certain items. Comics and art need special riders with appraisals and or itemized lists, etc... Get it from them in writing that they ARE covered if you feel that's the case.

Appraisal! Get an appraisal and be sure the insurance agent agrees to the value IN WRITING and update it at least annually! THEN negotiate the rider or adder.

I have renter's insurance through Geico -- and they do NOT cover collectibles UNLESS you specifically provide them with an itemized list and value (Overstreet is apparently acceptable). Otherwise, they go with $3 a comic book I was told. So I gave them values and an itemized list obviously. As noted by someone earlier... you do need an appraisal unless the agent agrees to the value without one... which mine did the first year I had it on the renter's policy.

They are not exclusions, they are usually not covered at all. It's like a diamond ring, you need to add a special rider for certain items. Comics and art need special riders with appraisals and or itemized lists, etc... Get it from them in writing that they ARE covered if you feel that's the case.

Ditto!

I got to doing the math a few months ago when huge wild fire came a little to close to our home. Our personal property policy was maxed and still wasn't enough to cover half the we collected even if it was covered. So we've been adding seperate policies.

USAA, unfortunately, does not offer any sort of collector's insurance riders. :( AND, I think my collection is slowly creeping closer to the point of my needing to acquire some form of protection. Even if I take only 50% of the OSPG value of my books alone, that'd still cover my mortgage payments for the rest of the year Add in my OA, and there's probably a few hundred... and I'd hate to think about anything going south :eek:

A typical "all-risk" homeowners policy covers everything that is not specifically excluded. Many homeowners policies exclude comics, many don't. If you're not sure, check with your agent/broker. If he says they are covered, ask him to confirm it in writing. If he doesn't, send him a confirming letter.

15% increase for me :P

Smith & Wesson, Ruger and the ol' Rottweiler's for me :thumbsup:

They even keep those creepy insurance salesman away from my house :headbang:

15% increase for me :P

Smith & Wesson, Ruger and the ol' Rottweiler's for me :thumbsup:

They even keep those creepy insurance salesman away from my house :headbang:

Your rotties can get your comics out in a fire?

My wife and I have Farm Bureau. We live in Missouri. We didn't need any special riders or add ons on our policy. But I did give them scans/pics/FMV for all the books. Then of course backed up the prices via Sales, Ebay, etc. As it stands know the comics total out at $65.000 Mind Boggling when I thought it would be around $40 - 45K!!!! This value doesn't include the recent sales for AF 15 either. I will have to get that re adjusted price wise...

You mean to say that GPA isn't the only business raising their rates!? :o

meh