• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what about the inexpensive books?

5 posts in this topic

A lot of hoo ha goes on around here about multi-hundred or multi-thousand dollar books. How to buy, how to list, what to slab, etc...

So what about the not-pricey stuff? I have a couple hundred Gold, Silver & Bronze that guide for about an average of $20 each, ranging widely from $5 books up to a few over $100 and a couple over $300. These are not Mint books. Plenty of VGs and Fines. Nor are they keys, except the occasional minor keys (like Batman 181).

I can part with any or all of them. How to go about it? Listing individually on Ebay can get expensive and may not be worth the listing fees. Listing them all as one pricey batch can only attract dealers who could just as easily spend the money on better stuff.

I do not demand high profit and can sell for basically cost + list fee. Would that be a selling point or does nobody care? It looks phony to me and I just wrote it.

Lastly, do postage deals attract buyers? Like if I offer no additional postage charge for the 2nd, 3rd, etc book?

Advice is appreciated!

Postage deals work on me when I'm buying inexpensive stuff. Must be a personality defect, but I'll go to great lengths to avoid paying as much or more for postage as I did on the book itself!

I'd suggest dividing your books up into mid-grade runs of the individual titles, and be sure to list each issue number explicitly in your auction title. Frequently I'll be looking to fill a hole or upgrade a single issue, and then come across a lot that also gives me an opportunity to upgrade another neighboring issue. I'd not have made it a priority to upgrade the second issue, but in order to get the first, I'll spring for the lot and "save" (ha!) on postage.

But that's just me.

Postage deals work on me when I'm buying inexpensive stuff. Must be a personality defect, but I'll go to great lengths to avoid paying as much or more for postage as I did on the book itself!

Not a personality defect. I avoid low price books when the postage will cost as much or more than the book. I'll check my local store or wait for a convention. It's just simple economics since I factor in the cost of postage when buying a book.