• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we want the prices (values) to excalate?

155 posts in this topic

I fail to see what is so funny, as with my notable failings in the areas of patience and anger management, the very last thing anyone could say about me is that I'm not intelligent, quick, or have an exceptional memory.

I just have no patience for dim-witted moronz. (shrug)

Joe. Yes you are. There are a ton (milions if not a billion) of people that also are.

But they are not blowing their own horns. That is what we are laughing about. The horn blowing. There would be less laughing if someone else was blowing your horn (and maybe more pleasurable for you to :)

I could come on here and say that I am one of the kindest, most generous and most intelligent guys around. I could say that I have succeded in the Marine Corps, the Navy and as a Police Officer. I could also say that I have received awards for saving lives and awards for arresting someone on the Ten Most Wanted List. I could say that I was Recognized and Honored by the U.S. Congress for my service, upon my retirement, and received letters of congratulations from 6 Senators and a multitude of other National and Local (Cleveland) politicians. I could say that I have won 16 medals in the State of Ohio Police and Fire Olympics over the years (Tennis, Table Tennis, Basketball, Javelin Throw, Racquetball). I could say that in 1976 I was the Marine of the Year in the Marine Corps. I could say that I was captured by the enemy in Cambodia during the Viet Nam war (?) and I escaped within 24 hours.

I could say all of these things and more, but I won't. It just wouldn't be right to blow my own horn. Someone would laugh :)

Joe. Yes you are. There are a ton (milions if not a billion) of people that also are.

But they are not blowing their own horns. That is what we are laughing about. The horn blowing. There would be less laughing if someone else was blowing your horn (and maybe more pleasurable for you to :)

I could come on here and say that I am one of the kindest, most generous and most intelligent guys around. I could say that I have succeded in the Marine Corps, the Navy and as a Police Officer. I could also say that I have received awards for saving lives and awards for arresting someone on the Ten Most Wanted List. I could say that I was Recognized and Honored by the U.S. Congress for my service, upon my retirement, and received letters of congratulations from 6 Senators and a multitude of other National and Local (Cleveland) politicians. I could say that I have won 16 medals in the State of Ohio Police and Fire Olympics over the years (Tennis, Table Tennis, Basketball, Javelin Throw, Racquetball). I could say that in 1976 I was the Marine of the Year in the Marine Corps. I could say that I was captured by the enemy in Cambodia during the Viet Nam war (?) and I escaped within 24 hours.

I could say all of these things and more, but I won't. It just wouldn't be right to blow my own horn. Someone would laugh :)

That would be more impressive than just being extremely smart, verbose and having a great memory. :baiting: But the getting caught part "in the first place" kind of taints the whole thing doesn't it. :kidaround:

I fail to see what is so funny, as with my notable failings in the areas of patience and anger management, the very last thing anyone could say about me is that I'm not intelligent, quick, or have an exceptional memory.

I just have no patience for dim-witted moronz. (shrug)

You have what is called a crystallized intelligence. I really do believe that you have a fantastic memory. But when it comes to fluid intelligence. I.E. problem solving skills, you probably have a problem with this. How, good are you at math? How bout Chess, or Checkers? Do you ever look for the deeper meaning of things or do you always take things as they are? How creative of a person are you? You definitely are a thinker but I think you are lacking in intuition. I think you look down at creative people and problem solvers because they don't think like you. Just remember there are different forms of intelligence and just because a person does not have your type of intelligence does not mean they are stupid.

That would be more impressive than just being extremely smart, verbose and having a great memory. :baiting: But the getting caught part "in the first place" kind of taints the whole thing doesn't it. :kidaround:

Yea. That is why I did not put myself on the super power list on my other thread :)

Seriously though. When you are a Corporal, you don't call the shots (well, you call some little ones). You just do as you are told.

you have what is called a crystallized intelligence. I really do believe that you have a fantastic memory. But when it comes to fluid intelligence. I.E. problem solving skills, you probably have a problem with this. How, good are you at math? How bout Chess, or Checkers?

doh!loldoh!lol

I had a long post written, but then I thought "I'm actually replying to someone critiquing my problem solving skills, who couldn't get an $8 scanner running, or have even a remote idea why it didn't function".

You're a real piece of work and have what I term a "crystallized brain stem". lol

I'm sorry, but that's not what every single standardized and IQ tests I've taken since a kid have told me. If you know a better way of ranking intelligence, send me the test.

Sure, I'm a for tooting my own horn, but I also caught a ton of flak in the past, so that's part of the reason I do it.

Wow Plod. I have heard of Hollinger but didn't know that info. Talk about ahead of the curve. Can you imagine if he believe that, he just might have secreted some select books somewhere for his grandkids. But then again. If he was still in business in 1971, he probably sold everything in a going out of business sale. Someone should contact his heirs and see what he might have left them in a trunk in the attic or safe deposit box.

I believe there was a flood that destroyed all the best issues. In the 1960s I think.

There's a super article on Hollinger in Overstreet 10 or 11?

Btw, if you're ever in the Bay Area we need to play tennis!

There were conventions, and people were paying for a premium for old books as least as early as 1960 - that's the earliest fanzine I have. I'm sure there are earlier ones out there - Xeno?

A/E: 1961 and Xero: 1960.

"Comics were mentioned and discussed as early as the late 1930s in science fiction fanzines. Famously, the first version of Superman (a bald-headed villain) appeared in the third issue of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's 1933 fanzine Science Fiction. Malcolm Willits and Jim Bradley started The Comic Collector's News, the first comics fanzine, in October, 1947. By 1952 Ted White had done a four-page pamphlet about Superman, and James Taurasi did the short-lived Fantasy Comics. In 1953 Bhob Stewart published The EC Fan Bulletin, which launched EC fandom and several subsequent imitative EC this and EC that titles. Somewhat later Stewart, White and Larry Stark did Potrzebie and started the second wave of EC fanzines, the best-known of which was Ron Parker's Hoo-Hah!. After that came fanzines by the followers of Harvey Kurtzman's Mad, Trump and Humbug. Publishers of these included future underground comics stars like Jay Lynch and Robert Crumb. Richard and Pat Lupoff's science fiction fanzine Xero began featuring a series of nostalgic and analytical articles about comics, by Richard, Don Thompson and others, under the heading, All In Color For A Dime. In 1961 came Jerry Bails' Alter Ego, devoted to costumed heroes, a slick revived version of which survives as a semi-prozine.

It started modern-day superhero comics fandom and is thus sometimes cited mistakenly as the first comics fanzine. Contacts through these magazines were instrumental in creating the culture of modern comics fandom: conventions, collecting, etc. Much of this, like comics fandom itself, began as part of standard science fiction conventions, but comics fans have developed their own traditions. Comics fanzines often include fan artwork based on existing characters as well as discussion of the history of comics."

Good point on comics integrated themselves into Sci-Fi Conventions, and didn't some of the bigger shows start off that way?

I remember reading something about how some SF cons were angry about how many comic dealers were there, and forced a break-off into their own shows.

Love to play tennis with (against) you, but the closest I will ever get is probably San Antonio. My son and only grandchild lives there and we are thinking of moving nearer to them.

Joe: Yep, I was doing a sneaky tooting. Tooting without tooting. My point was to let you know that others, perhaps Homerwannabee dude, may just not be the insufficiently_thoughtful_person or nobody you seem to think he or they are. You may be special in your own ways, but many are special. That makes you, uh, not so special. IQ's aside. I will give you the opportunity to tell us your IQ by telling you mine (from 1976, the one and only time it was evaluated). Mine was 121. I am a lot dumber now though, I am sure. My memory is not so good. I have lately started to mispell words that I used to be able to spell backwards and forwards. It comes with age. It will come to you also, later.

Changing the subject because I really don't want to be talking about you or I anymore: Did anyone catch the news about the former Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell's interview on a British radio station whereupon he stated that Earth has been visited by aliens several times. That he was briefed (in his official capacity as an astronaut) concerning same, and that the aliens have imparted technology to us and they are not unfriendly. Granted, he is now 77, but I listened to the broadcast and he does not sound feeble or forgetfull at all. He sounds very sharp for his age. He further states that the Roswell incident was really an alien craft and that the aliens look pretty much like "little strange looking people", mostly like what we are used to seeing them described as. It is facinating when something like this occurs. All of my life it has been reported and stated that to be one of the astronauts picked to fly these space ships and such (Mitchell holds the record for the longest walk on the moons surface), you have to really be sharp and clear minded. Of course there was that female astronaut who allegedly wore a diaper for her cross country drive to fight for her man, so....I don't know what to think about Mitchell. An old man who wants to get in the news? I don't know.

Here is a link where you can hear his radio interview.

http://cryptogon.com/?p=3073

you have what is called a crystallized intelligence. I really do believe that you have a fantastic memory. But when it comes to fluid intelligence. I.E. problem solving skills, you probably have a problem with this. How, good are you at math? How bout Chess, or Checkers?

doh!loldoh!lol

I had a long post written, but then I thought "I'm actually replying to someone critiquing my problem solving skills, who couldn't get an $8 scanner running, or have even a remote idea why it didn't function".

You're a real piece of work and have what I term a "crystallized brain stem". lol

Fell back on the insults again.

JC's problem is pretty simple: he thinks he's right, and judges his self worth on himself being right. He takes this behavior to such an extreme that he can't judge other people's arguments accurately, because he is threatened by them. So he winds up arguing a point for the sake of "winning," not for the sake at getting closer to the truth.

In this example, for whatever reason he felt the need to attack a thesis put forward--that GA comics are scarce because they weren't perceived as being valuable or collectible. There is obviously some truth to this thesis, but JC focused his energy on coming with plausible alternatives: the paper drives of the late 40's and the anti-comic sentiments of the 50's. What he failed to recognize is that the truth is these all three factors--and no doubt others--played a role in GA scarcity.

Given his pyschological need to feel superior to others, he missed a fuller understanding of the "truth"....as he does repeatedly on these boards.

As a manager involved with helping others develop their careers and skills, my experience has been that the key to improvement is self-awareness. Most people are intelligent, but it only through honest introspection and/or a willingness to seek and internalize constructive feedback from others that people begin to achieve wisdom.

In this example, for whatever reason he felt the need to attack a thesis put forward--that GA comics are scarce because they weren't perceived as being valuable or collectible. There is obviously some truth to this thesis, but JC focused his energy on coming with plausible alternatives: the paper drives of the late 40's and the anti-comic sentiments of the 50's. What he failed to recognize is that the truth is these all three factors--and no doubt others--played a role in GA scarcity.

Actually, that is not what transpired, and it's Homer who is 100% of the belief that ONLY his reason is valid, while many forum members have put forth contributing factors to the GA scarcity question (FD among them). And it's not just me, and many others have posted on here, but wisely gave up in the face of Homer-Logic and his $8 scanner.

Check it out, read the posts, and find me ONE instance where Homer totally agrees with you, me, and many other members, that multiple factors led to the scarcity of GA books. It wasn't just value.

Trust me, you won't find it, as it's not there.

And I do not have a need to "be right", but I do have a serious need to stop disinformation like Homer's original post, which even you must admit is incorrect. There are a laundry list of potential reasons, as opposed to his simplistic theory.

Here's the original thesis:

"For instance there is a reason why you rarely see early Action Comics. That being that during the 40's and 50's there was almost no interest in comics at all. As a result future generations had to pay the price by having a very scarce supply to acquire. When Amazing Spider-man came around there was the uproots of a hobby. Certain comics were worth around a $100. So a small group of people decided to keep their comics in hopes that these comics would as well be worth $100 someday. Because of the escalating prices of certain comics in the 60's it is now easier to attain these comics."

Agree or disagree? Yes or no?

Here's the original thesis:

"For instance there is a reason why you rarely see early Action Comics. That being that during the 40's and 50's there was almost no interest in comics at all. As a result future generations had to pay the price by having a very scarce supply to acquire. When Amazing Spider-man came around there was the uproots of a hobby. Certain comics were worth around a $100. So a small group of people decided to keep their comics in hopes that these comics would as well be worth $100 someday. Because of the escalating prices of certain comics in the 60's it is now easier to attain these comics."

Agree or disagree? Yes or no?

I guess I have to be more specific. In the 1940's to 1950's there was almost no interest in something that had potential to bring future profit. When i say almost no interest I am saying that fewer than 1 in a 1000 thought actively collected comics in order to one day sell them all off for a huge profit. During the 60's the percentage of people collecting comics for financial investment drastically increased. Yes comics were burned. But those were more symbolic than anything else. Most comics were thrown out in the trash because they were "cluttering up the house." More people kept hardbound books than comics. Books were not clutter to higher percentage of people. Hence why at any swap meet you can find a ton of books 40 or 50 years old but the percentage of comics from that era is drastically lower. Hopefully the expanded explanation gives some awareness to your cognitive faculties.

When i say almost no interest I am saying that fewer than 1 in a 1000 thought actively collected comics in order to one day sell them all off for a huge profit.

Interesting, but exactly where did you get those very specific stats from? hm

Your $8 scanner or your upcoming Mr Invincible comic book? lol

But those were more symbolic than anything else.

Let me get this straight, you think the massive "wartime paper drives", Wertham's "Seduction of the Innocent" and subsequent comic book burnings and trashings, were all "symbolic"?

BUY A 1940-50 HISTORY BOOK AND READ IT. :makepoint:

Or even talk to someone who was around in the early 1940's and see how patriotically these people worked for the paper and aluminum drives.