• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first CGC submission returned :)

30 posts in this topic

I got this from Metropolis as an 8.0 and got some help over on the grading board as to the actual grade... (thread)

I managed to do exactly what I wanted with it, however... got it signed by Al Feldstein at HeroesCon, and it became my first CGC submission. I'm totally ok with it coming back a 5.5 although I definitely wish it would have been at least FN... Still. I liked talking to the CGC rep and ended up having a smoke with him later. And waiting on the box to show up with anticipation was a lot of fun too. Despite the grade coming in lower than expected, it was, overall, a really good experience. Lots of fun, and I just thought I'd share. :)

Shock SuspenStories #1 SS Al Feldstein

EDIT: I just realized that you can read my IM conversation in the background of that photo... I do not know what "stoned" means.

Congrats on the signature! But Metropolis should be ashamed of themselves for ever calling that book 8.0.

My first clue that it might not be an 8.0 was their little disclaimer about how they do not accept returns just b/c some other 3rd party may or may not agree with the grade they assigned to the book. Oy. doh!

I had a similar experience with my first submission. I turned in a book to my local LCS that I was absolutley certain would yield at least a 9.2. It came back a 8.5. It looks like they hacked you for the large crease that was 3 inches long on the bottom front part of the cover. If that was not a flaw in the comic, your comic would of been a legit 8.0 or higher. I guess this makes sense. If you have an inch crease the best you can hope for is a 7.0. Just take this as a valuable lesson learned. If you ever acquire a comic that only glaring flaw is a large crease, come prepared in knowing there is a high chance that you will get a grade that is lower than 6.0. Looks like John T at least gave you a little warning when he said he would feel guilty in giving it a 6.0 grade because of the crease.

oh yeah... the crease was definitely a huge problem... It was really hard to see on the scan from Metropolis... but since it was NCB, I was ok with it. I still think it presents beautifully. Plus Al signed right over the crease, so... you know... what crease? ;)

Oddly, I saw another copy of #1 on ebay the other day with a nearly identical crease on it... that was very very strange to me...

But yeah... definitely learned a little bit with the experience.

And now I'm wishing I'd just have somehow found the extra money to submit my Primer 2 and Grendel set for SS by Wagner. It was fun, but it sure was expensive...

I just need to find something else to grade now. I'm a terrible grader and I actually do read all my stuff, but I think they sucked me in...

Another good reason not to buy raw books unless unavoidable. you know the person from which you are purchasing the books.

Fixed! (thumbs u

Good fix. Reading is good.

Another good reason not to buy raw books unless unavoidable.

It's ok to buy raw...just know how to grade. We've all been duped with delusions of grading grandeur from dealers/sellers...just make sure it makes your expectations for the grade/price...and of course a return policy if it is found to be restored. :thumbsup:

No, just another reason not to buy raw books from Metro.

Especially now that they have the "3rd party" disclaimer.

Pathetic

You mean that they don't have a no questions asked 10 day return policy? Or is that "if you get it graded we ain't accepting it back just because it grades lower" guarantee?

No, just another reason not to buy raw books from Metro.

Especially now that they have the "3rd party" disclaimer.

Pathetic

You mean that they don't have a no questions asked 10 day return policy? Or is that "if you get it graded we ain't accepting it back just because it grades lower" guarantee?

probably the latter Sterling.

I see their point tbh.

But i have seen too many examples of books that are 2-3 points overgraded to think about buying raw from them.

They also tossed in this little nugget:

All "in person" sales (conventions, in office etc.) are final. There are no returns, refunds, credits, exchanges accepted on "in person" sales. The only exception is explained below in the Unrestored Guarantee section.