• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first CGC submission returned :)

30 posts in this topic

well... to be fair...

GRADE GUARANTEE: All comics are carefully and strictly graded by Metropolis Collectibles owners Vincent Zurzolo or Stephen Fishler. They use Overstreet standards to grade each book. Metropolis does not guarantee that other dealers or CGC will grade Metropolis graded comics the same. Under no circumstance does Metropolis take a return based on a difference of opinion from another dealer or CGC. Customers have 10 days to return any raw comic they do not want. If customers are interested in CGC grades they should only buy CGC graded comics.

So you have a little time to decide... I don't understand why they put that disclaimer about CGC or "other dealers" tho. If you have 10 days, you have 10 days. Who's to say that I don't go to the LCS and get a grade and then return it to Metropolis after that? Hell, if I could get it slabbed in less than 10 days, it seems like I still have the option of returning the book. After, perhaps, I cracked the slab... I dunno...

In this case, even though 8.0 was way way high, I still felt ok with the price mostly b/c the colors are SO bright on the cover... so I kept it. Even though the grading was way off, you kind of do have to respect that the owners are doing the grading and are up-front enough about it to even put their names right there on the page...

If I am buying something and am super-concerned with grade, however, it would have to be a great deal for me to use Metro again. Although I'd still buy from them before MHC any day...

To be fair....

Although grading is subjective, there is a huge discrepincy between a 5.5 and an 8.0, and I could care less whose name is on there or whom it came from.

Now see, in person sales I don't mind that disclaimer (shrug)

Sight unseen and based on a scan, I do.

yep, and after reading it...you still have 10 days...and if you spend for Walkthrough and don't like the grade...you can still return it (how are they going to know it was certified). I guess they are specifically targeting those that come back 3 months later and want $x off the book or return it....THAT I would understand why they would crack down.

That's why it's just easier to grade the book in hand...and if you don't like it...send it back...really easy to me. (restoration issue aside)

"...you kind of do have to respect that the owners are doing the grading and are up-front enough about it to even put their names right there on the page..."

That's an awful lot of books for just those two guys to be grading. Doesn't seem like an efficient use of their time to be grading lower value books.