• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bye Bye jonnydouble

174 posts in this topic

• Administrator
I don't think anyone would argue that JD's comment was allowable, but I'm sorry, that's a completely unfair and reactionary banning of JD. Dena's inconsistent by allowing all the nonsense and garbage (in the water cooler) she allows without outright banning people and then bans JD because of the word he chose to use. I'm not defending his action, but I think the application of the rules is just plain unfair. Apply two strikes, suspend him for 30 days fine... banning him? It's inconsistent. But I guess since this isn't "real life" she can do what she wants.

I want to address this point because I would agree with you if I were a member on this board like everyone else. I am not. I work for the Certified Collectibles Group. I helped implement this board and I am here to answer questions, solve problems and referee the hopefully occasional squabble. I don't post here for my own recreation.

I treat everyone on this board with respect and I expect to be treated the same way in return.

This situation was completely ridiculous because nothing happened that should result in his attack of me whatsoever. Even so, he posted in that thread and I let him do that without jumping in to contradict him even though he wasn't representing the situation for what it really was. I didn't post in that thread at all.

It's pretty funny because his final post was actually in response to someone else's post.

And this situation is real life. If you were to walk into a place of business, ask the female manager a question and then call her that name after she answers you politely, you would be told to leave.

This is not a mod rule, it is a rule of common decency known to everyone, everywhere.

Kudos to Dena for banning JD,

I am a father of 2 young boys and its people that use words like what JD used that make me sick. My boys are very much into this board as I am. They love to collect comics and sport cards so we spend much time on these boards. The last thing I wish for is them to be sitting next to me when in a post someone starts throwing out words that their little eyes don't need to see. So thank you Dena for running these boards in a way that most repectible people would like them to be run. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

And this situation is real life. If you were to walk into a place of business, ask the female manager a question and then call her that name after she answers you politely, you would be told to leave.

In your example the person would be lucky if all that happened was he was "told to leave". Leaving under his own power wouldn't even be an option in plenty of places.

My boys are very much into this board as I am

Good point and that's actually good news about passing along interst for this hobby. BTW, keep them away from the Water Cooler and the Babe Test thread...adn the Jailbait test....and any of my posts... foreheadslap.gif

Good point and that's actually good news about passing along interst for this hobby. BTW, keep them away from the Water Cooler and the Babe Test thread...adn the Jailbait test....and any of my posts... foreheadslap.gif

Yea my 11year old wanted to know what jailbait was. foreheadslap.gif I told him his mom when I first started dating her. 893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

They know the darth man already, seeing you had bids on my auction. If I make money they make money. 893applaud-thumb.gif

This from a guy with Hello Kitty as his avatar... gossip.gif

I would also like to take a moment and thank Dena, Arch, Gemma and any other mods for the work they do. The CGC forums are a place where collectors can trade stories, share their passion for the hobby, and/or discuss related issues. The mods are here for a purpose and that is to moderate the language/discussions on these forums. They must read every post and for most this is no easy task. If the post is questionable, they must decide how best to handle the situation. Depending on the severity of the offense, they can choose to issue a strike or ban the person altogether. Their choice and theirs alone.

Everyone on these boards deserves the opportunity to be treated with respect. I think a lot of time, we see these boards as a mask of sorts. We can say or do anything we want, because it won't infringe our "real life". Most of the time I choose to stay away from the Water Cooler, because most of the people there post threads simply to cause trouble. You can tell who they are simply by looking at their posting history. They are the ones that only post in the Water Cooler. Sometimes by just being the bigger person, hostile situation can be averted.

So again, THANK YOU Mods!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

The CGC forums are a place where collectors can trade stories, share their passion for the hobby, and/or discuss related issues.

what does the paris hilton tape have to do with the hobby? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most of the time I choose to stay away from the Water Cooler, because most of the people there post threads simply to cause trouble. You can tell who they are simply by looking at their posting history. They are the ones that only post in the Water Cooler. Sometimes by just being the bigger person, hostile situation can be averted.

you sure were hanging out in the h2o thread last night. blush.gifforeheadslap.gifdevil.gif

I would also like to take a moment and thank Dena, Arch, Gemma and any other mods for the work they do. The CGC forums are a place where collectors can trade stories, share their passion for the hobby, and/or discuss related issues. The mods are here for a purpose and that is to moderate the language/discussions on these forums. They must read every post and for most this is no easy task. If the post is questionable, they must decide how best to handle the situation. Depending on the severity of the offense, they can choose to issue a strike or ban the person altogether. Their choice and theirs alone.

Everyone on these boards deserves the opportunity to be treated with respect. I think a lot of time, we see these boards as a mask of sorts. We can say or do anything we want, because it won't infringe our "real life". Most of the time I choose to stay away from the Water Cooler, because most of the people there post threads simply to cause trouble. You can tell who they are simply by looking at their posting history. They are the ones that only post in the Water Cooler. Sometimes by just being the bigger person, hostile situation can be averted.

So again, THANK YOU Mods!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I have to give them props as well. This board is actually very easy going, from a censorship point of view, compared to many discussion boards. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The CGC forums are a place where collectors can trade stories, share their passion for the hobby, and/or discuss related issues.

what does the paris hilton tape have to do with the hobby? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That was the trading stories part.

Most of the time I choose to stay away from the Water Cooler, because most of the people there post threads simply to cause trouble. You can tell who they are simply by looking at their posting history. They are the ones that only post in the Water Cooler. Sometimes by just being the bigger person, hostile situation can be averted.

you sure were hanging out in the h2o thread last night. blush.gifforeheadslap.gifdevil.gif

I said most of the time, not all but most. I try to stay away from the political threads, because that is just asking for a headache.

Dena:

Let me be clear. I'm not in ANY way excusing or condoning the conduct of JD. There's no excuse and he shouldn't do it.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and (the other mods) to decide who should and should not be banned.

This is not a mod rule, it is a rule of common decency known to everyone, everywhere.

I completely agree with your stance on this issue. But, they would also remove people who engaged in the same name calling in their presence. Deceny is a standard which applies to all equally, not to some people particularly, whether they are mods or not. Drawing a distinguishing line of punishment meaded out is inconsistent and in my opinion, unfair, if you there is a pattern whereby you do NOT ban members for constant harassment, belittlement, vulgar name calling etc. It's the SAME thing, just not directed at you. It's still far over the line of decency.

And the reason I know you are aware of this, is because you've warned the members to knock it off. And I agree. A great deal of the posts in the water cooler are nothing more than insulting, demeaning and hateful language directed at certain groups of people. I'm sorry... it's not in good fun. It's language that would NOT be tolerated and should be "known to everyone, everywhere".

The mods do a good job. Ideally, we're not children here... we shouldn't need monitoring... but the mods have done a reasonably fair job in not being too restrictive.

My position remains, it's not that your stand on the issue isn't correct, but that the application of the rules is just simply inconsistent. This does not mean we excuse JD's behavior, it means that if there is a set of rules, they should be applied equally to all persons on the board. Ban the people engaging in similar behavior. Be consistent.

Again, there is no question that you are absolutely correct in being offended and outraged by the remark. It was way out of line. But it is equally clear that banning JD is done for one reason and one reason only: you took that particular term as over the line, set it apart from all others... and in my mind, it categorizes insults, puts them in better and worse groups you can and cannot insult, and justifies punishment as different for different terms and people who use them.

Dena:

Let me be clear. I'm not in ANY way excusing or condoning the conduct of JD. There's no excuse and he shouldn't do it.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and (the other mods) to decide who should and should not be banned.

I completely agree with your stance on this issue. But, they would also remove people who engaged in the same name calling in their presence. Deceny is a standard which applies to all equally, not to some people particularly, whether they are mods or not. Drawing a distinguishing line of punishment meaded out is inconsistent and in my opinion, unfair, if you there is a pattern whereby you do NOT ban members for constant harassment, belittlement, vulgar name calling etc. It's the SAME thing, just not directed at you. It's still far over the line of decency.

And the reason I know you are aware of this, is because you've warned the members to knock it off. And I agree. A great deal of the posts in the water cooler are nothing more than insulting, demeaning and hateful language directed at certain groups of people. I'm sorry... it's not in good fun. It's language that would NOT be tolerated and should be "known to everyone, everywhere".

The mods do a good job. Ideally, we're not children here... we shouldn't need monitoring... but the mods have done a reasonably fair job in not being too restrictive.

My position remains, it's not that your stand on the issue isn't correct, but that the application of the rules is just simply inconsistent. This does not mean we excuse JD's behavior, it means that if there is a set of rules, they should be applied equally to all persons on the board. Ban the people engaging in similar behavior. Be consistent.

Again, there is no question that you are absolutely correct in being offended and outraged by the remark. It was way out of line. But it is equally clear that banning JD is done for one reason and one reason only: you took that particular term as over the line, set it apart from all others... and in my mind, it categorizes insults, puts them in better and worse groups you can and cannot insult, and justifies punishment as different for different terms and people who use them.

893applaud-thumb.gif