• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bye Bye jonnydouble

174 posts in this topic

There is no parallel word that blacks can use against whites (because whites still control most positions of power) or women can use against men (because men still control most positions of power).

Being a white man I'd like to go on record as saying...........it's good to be a white man, or "cracker" if you prefer. acclaim.gif

Joanna:

All the slurs concerning sexual promiscuity are attacks on women... and insults them in the basest of ways... slut, whore, b**ch etc. they're insulting and demeaning. You're picking out one particular word and saying... Hey, this is worse than all the rest... because as a woman, I'm insulted more. It doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't it make sense? Shouldn't women be the ones to determine the relative degree of anti-female insults? I don't know any women who would accept being called that particular word (there may be some low self-esteem women who would, but no one I know). To the majority of women, it is the worst of the bunch (and I'm not fond of any of them, believe me).

Joanna - I agree with Foolkillers' assesment that it should not be up to the mods the varying degress of offense of any one word as oppossed to another. While I didn't realize what happened when I had the first post to this thread, I do strongly and passionately support that it should not be at the discretion of the moderators to arbitrarily decide the level of insult and thereby apply the rules.

Case in point - I would like to bring up an attack agains Delekkerste where he was called a racial slur by a member. While the post was rightfully deleted the members has not been banned. I personally was outraged by this particular insult and notified the moderators. If you are going to ban someone for using a word derogatory to women but not ban a user for using a word for that is derogatory to asians that is discrimination in and of itself.

more food for thought: why hasn't Bug been allowed to return to the forums? The 30 days has well passed.

DAM

more food for thought: why hasn't Bug been allowed to return to the forums? The 30 days has well passed.

he is allowed to come back, i'm assuming he just doesn't want to come back yet under the ID bug.....and yes, i agree that there is a double standard. confused-smiley-013.gif but as i previoulsy mentioned in a prior post, i think the mods trigger finger now has a "hair trigger". blush.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Joanna:

Here's the scenario I'm looking at though:

Call someone else an offensive name, get a strike or suspension.

Call a mod an offensive name, get banned.

That's called a double standard.

You're right. It's a no brainer.

Joanna:

And now you know the rule!

I guess I always thought this was pretty obvious. You don't bite the hand, etc.

As for it being a double standard -- this board runs by their standards, not yours or mine. So it's a single standard in their eyes, I guess. For them, the only double was Jonny, and he's out.

-- Joanna

Joanna:

JD use of the "C" word with a "K" was the first time that I had seen it on these boards...

The no-brainer is that some words are more powerful than others....I have been holding off using this comparason but I would like to illustrate my point...

If a board member were to use the "N" word directed toward a mod of "African-American" descent...don't you think that would be justification for banishment???...

Seems cut & dry to me....of course it would... foreheadslap.gif

IMO...The "C" word with a "K" was just as blatantly offensive as the "N" word...

JD use of the "C" word with a "K" was the first time that I had seen it on these boards...

The no-brainer is that some words are more powerful than others....I have been holding off using this comparason but I would like to illustrate my point...

If a board member were to use the "N" word directed toward a mod of "African-American" descent...don't you think that would be justification for banishment???...

Seems cut & dry to me....of course it would... foreheadslap.gif

IMO...The "C" word with a "K" was just as blatantly offensive as the "N" word...

here's a case against your arguement, how many times did daniel dupcak/comic-keys use racists/gender slurs against me? he wasn't outright banned right away. a matter of fact he was either thrown in the penalty box or given a strike. that's the case that i have against the arguement, he was given so much rope from arch that he finally had to hang himself with it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

And don't forget it was "dumb ____", meant to further inflame. Use that modifier in front of your example. Not a smart thing to say.

One question: why can't you guys just drop this? Johnnie stepped over the line, AND he was foolish enough to do so with the wrong person. That's life. Let's get back to talking about comics.

sign-rantpost.gif

supa...gotta agree with you there...perhaps now the mods will be more aware and less tolerant of such behavour...

I agree. I wouldn't mind at all if people were held to a higher standard around here -- including the water cooler.

One question: why can't you guys just drop this? Johnnie stepped over the line, AND he was foolish enough to do so with the wrong person. That's life. Let's get back to talking about comics.

There aren't any threads talking about comics? I could've sworn I saw a whole mess of them.

And don't forget it was "dumb ____", meant to further inflame. Use that modifier in front of your example. Not a smart thing to say.

The sad part is, this won't be the end of it. Things will be posted in the future that will again have this reaction. While you may just ignore the whole thing and move on. Which is fine, others would like to address what they feel is a bias among the mods. If you don not want to discuss this, don't read this thread.

While it is true that this should be an open board where thoughts and ideas should flow, there needs to be limits. Regardless of whether comic-keys (or whatever shill) was given numerous warnings, doesn't make his behaviour any less acceptable. Much of what is said here should not be allowed, but the mods cannot punish every minor infraction. So some things allowed to be posted, and some things are not.

sign-rantpost.gif