• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bye Bye jonnydouble

174 posts in this topic

Foolkiller...while your argument is somewhat valid...it proves to be redundant when you take the full context of JD's rude behavour...he was over the line before the offensive "C" word with a "K"...

The arguing that is going on in the forums is usually a mutual slamming of one another...where insults are batted back and forth with usually complicit players...

Dena was not engaging in this type of behaviour and did not deserve to be so publicly insulted...thus her banishment does not constitute a flaw in the "Forum Fairness Doctrine".... I so decree... sumo.gif

Foolkiller...while your argument is somewhat valid...it proves to be redundant when you take the full context of JD's rude behavour...he was over the line before the offensive "C" word with a "K"...

The arguing that is going on in the forums is usually a mutual slamming of one another...where insults are batted back and forth with usually complicit players...

Dena was not engaging in this type of behaviour and did not deserve to be so publicly insulted...thus her banishment does not constitute a flaw in the "Forum Fairness Doctrine".... I so decree... sumo.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't want to continue to drag this out... I'm not going to say anything new here, so it's just going round and round...

Your distinguishing point is that the parties are willing parties to the exchange... but I disagree. The bulk of the language and insults and rather abusive language that goes on in the water cooler is directed often times at people who have not done anything or said anything to warrant such comments. Also, there have been other instances of similarly spelling vulgarities to slide them past the mods directed AT someone else. We are elevating one particular word that many women find highly offensive. That makes no sense. Vulgarity is vulgarity, and there isn't some permissive scale.

Look, I'm not going to keep belabouring the issue. And no one's saying she deserved to be insulted... that's obvious. I'm only looking at the application of the rules... which are her (the mods) own rules. They made the call, JD has to live it with it. Life will go on.

Not the right words to say to an african american. Seems a bit of a racial component to your statement. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Those are the words I said if you don't care for it, do something about it. If you feel that anything said negatively to you is racially motivated then you have much larger issues to deal with.

Not the right words to say to an african american. Seems a bit of a racial component to your statement. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I hate it when people say things like "African-American" or "Polish-American" or anything-American. You're an American, period. If you must pay homage to your "roots", don't put America last.

sign-rantpost.gif

I hate it when people say things like "African-American" or "Polish-American" or anything-American. You're an American, period. If you must pay homage to your "roots", don't put America last.

ahhhh... this is whole other topic of conversation.

Your distinguishing point is that the parties are willing parties to the exchange... but I disagree. The bulk of the language and insults and rather abusive language that goes on in the water cooler is directed often times at people who have not done anything or said anything to warrant such comments.

I agree with this statement. It is extremely rare for there to be a civil discussion in the WC on any topic, unless it is completely devoid of controversy. I've also noticed that the bulk of posters don't like to be insulted and called names -- they just like to do so to others. The worst offenders are often the biggest whiners when the tables are turned.

It's a very unpleasant place.

We are elevating one particular word that many women find highly offensive. That makes no sense. Vulgarity is vulgarity, and there isn't some permissive scale.

I disagree with you here. The key is "highly offensive." There are harsh racial slurs that are not allowed on these boards. The word Jonny used is of the same level -- it's a label whose only purpose is to demean women in the basest of ways. There is no parallel word that blacks can use against whites (because whites still control most positions of power) or women can use against men (because men still control most positions of power). Much as I used to like JD, had I been in Dena's shoes I would not have hesitated a milisecond to do exactly as she did. Jonny has lost all the respect I used to have for him.

Bottom line, there will always be levels of slurs as long as there is inequity between groups. And there will be levels of punishment because of the inequity in status on these boards. Don't mess with the mods. And then treat everyone on this board as if they had the same power -- because everyone here deserves respect.

-- Joanna

My boys are very much into this board as I am

Good point and that's actually good news about passing along interst for this hobby. BTW, keep them away from the Water Cooler and the Babe Test thread...adn the Jailbait test....and any of my posts... foreheadslap.gif

Yea my 11year old wanted to know what jailbait was. foreheadslap.gif I told him his mom when I first started dating her. 893naughty-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

They know the darth man already, seeing you had bids on my auction. If I make money they make money. 893applaud-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Sorry, man. If I post anything that's "off topic", you might not want to open it when your boys are around.

Joanna:

All the slurs concerning sexual promiscuity are attacks on women... and insults them in the basest of ways... slut, whore, b**ch etc. they're insulting and demeaning. You're picking out one particular word and saying... Hey, this is worse than all the rest... because as a woman, I'm insulted more. It doesn't make sense. Calling some names a f**ker or whatever is just as bad... it's insulting, it's purpose is to demean the other person.

Look, I have never nor will I ever condone the name calling... But my point is just to publicly indicate that this sanction is done on a completely reactionary basis. You insulted a moderator, therefore the punishment is worse. Why is that? The answer is, because she can. I think there's more than just some people who might be troubled by that logic.

Nonetheless, we are talking about an Internet message board, and not anything of any real power so I can't lose any sleep about it... I don't intend to volley racial slurs, hateful speech or vulgarities anytime soon, so I doubt it'll be an issue... but I defend my stance on the basis of what is a clear inequity. having the power to do something, doesn't make it the fair thing to do.

Joanna:

All the slurs concerning sexual promiscuity are attacks on women... and insults them in the basest of ways... slut, whore, b**ch etc. they're insulting and demeaning. You're picking out one particular word and saying... Hey, this is worse than all the rest... because as a woman, I'm insulted more. It doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't it make sense? Shouldn't women be the ones to determine the relative degree of anti-female insults? I don't know any women who would accept being called that particular word (there may be some low self-esteem women who would, but no one I know). To the majority of women, it is the worst of the bunch (and I'm not fond of any of them, believe me).

Look, I have never nor will I ever condone the name calling... But my point is just to publicly indicate that this sanction is done on a completely reactionary basis. You insulted a moderator, therefore the punishment is worse. Why is that? The answer is, because she can. I think there's more than just some people who might be troubled by that logic.

I'm not troubled by it. The mods run this place. They speak for the owners. They make up the rules and we agree to abide by the rules when we sign up. They can ammend those rules at any time, to adjust for new circumstances. This was, most likely a new circumstance. So now we all know: don't call a mod a highly offensive name. Seems like a no-brainer, to me.

-- Joanna

having the power to do something, doesn't make it the fair thing to do.

I think that's where the misunderstanding is coming from. As long as you're under the mis-impression that the moderators care about being fair then it'll never make sense to you. devil.gif