• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard luck collectors

22 posts in this topic

Yannis post of the Crimson Avenger story reminded me of something I've been thinking about for a while. What are the worst second tier characters to like, from a $$ standpoint? For example, it would suck to be the world's biggest Tex Dawson fan. Because you need to buy all those early Actions (and the earliest episodes of your favorite character are only in black, white, and red to boot! lol )

How about being a Golden Arrow or Lance O'Casey fan and you need to buy 155 issues of Whiz Comics, including a few very pricey books. (The only thing worse than that is collecting Paratrooper covers and having to buy an Action 2. :) )

I'm sure you guys can come up with examples for this thread.

The first one that comes to mind is not quite in the same league but a Powerhouse Pepper fan has a tall order in front of him. The books might not be high $$$ but probably more of a pain to find!

Barry O'Neill sounds like a headache. The character appeared in:

New Adventure: 31, Adventure Comics: 32, 34 - 60, Big Book of Fun Comics, New Fun: 1 - 5, More Fun: 7 - 9, 21 - 29

That's a good one!

Also, it depends on how you define second-tier but a complete Destroyer collection from Timely doesn't sound like an easy task either but the character is probably too high profile. Wouldn't have been if Roy Thomas didn't resurrect him in the Invaders though.

Edit: Same with The Blonde Phantom.

The thing is, I like a lot of these characters because I read them at a very formative age through the Famous First Editions that DC put out. Imagine being a big fan of little boy blue or whatever it was called from Sensation 1! Or the Gay Ghost.

Slam Bradley would be a good one. Zatara probably had a lot of fans in the day, those are great stories. I got to read some in the Action 11 and 20 (coverless) I had recently.

I have to admit, the backups that somehow really held my interest were the ones in Whiz. Ibis, Golden Arrow, Lance O'Casey, I really liked those damn stories in that Famous First Edition. The only other one that I think was really up there for me was the Wildcat story in Sensation.

To go a little later, how about being related to the guy who used to draw Cap's Hobby Hints in DCs in the 50s and 60s and to honor him you want to collect them all. But for a half-page feature you have to buy a lot of what must seem to be very pricey pieces of paper!

How about Cotton-Top Katie!! She's in: All-American Comics: 89, 91 - 97, Flash: 88, All Star Comics: 34, All-Flash Quarterly: 26, Comic Cavalcade: 19, 24 - 29, Green Lantern: 23, 25, 28, Sensation: 70. What's better than random appearances across the entire line!

Slam Bradley would be a good one. Zatara probably had a lot of fans in the day, those are great stories. I got to read some in the Action 11 and 20 (coverless) I had recently.

In that vein / caliber, I would place Tomahawk who appeared not only in his own title but also in Star Spangled and World's Finest. This fits your question to a T.

New Adventure: 31, Adventure Comics: 32, 34 - 60, Big Book of Fun Comics, New Fun: 1 - 5, More Fun: 7 - 9, 21 - 29

That's a good one!

:cloud9: Serendipity. At the exact same time I posted the above as culled from the Keltner guide, here's what was posted to a Pulp mailing list I subscribe to: (N.B.: Contents below not my own)

"I read that Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson's story (the founder of DC

Comics) "THE HOUSE OF FANG GOW" published in TOP-NOTCH Feb. 1933 (!)

was later used in NEW FUN #1 Feb. 1935 - #6 (DC/NATIONALS Very First

Comic Ever and was was the first comic book containing all-original

material or rather the character 'FANG GOW' appeared there. NEW COMICS

changed it's name to MORE FUN COMICS #7 Jan. 1936 and Fang Gow

continued to battle BARRY O'NEIL up to #35 Sept. 1938. He later

appeared in (NEW) ADVENTURE COMICS (1938) #31 Oct. 1938 -#60 March 1941

(NOT IN #33) -Barry O'Neill is a wealthy, independent playboy (weren't

they ALL) adventurer who attracts the anger of Fang Gow,

the "inscrutable and vengeful enemy of the Human Race," who is a ruler

in China and has cult members all around the world. Barry and his

assistant Le Grand take on and defeat the forces of Fang Gow, and then

move on to attack and defeat other international criminals, becoming

the "ace spy-smashing team of the French Intelligence Office." All of

this would make FANG GOW THE VERY 1ST DC COMICS CHARACTER TO EVER TO

APPEAR!!! Then look at the price of that TOP-NOTCH issue and then any

of the above named comics. Timely/Marvel is the same way with their

character KA-ZAR who appears in pulps (only 3 issues) 3 years before

appearing the the Very First issue of MARVEL COMICS #1 (MARVEL MYSTERY

COMICS #2 and up)."

Problem with Hitler covers is no matter what the guide says, most of the "cheap" ones go for many multiples of guide. Of course there's a few hidden inexpensive gems to find as well.

I love the hobby hints! Not going to collect them though....

I'd love to see a Zatara or Slam Bradley reprint, either in Showcase or Archive edition. No way I'm going to purchase those early Tecs and Actions just for those two but I'd love to read the stories.

That's a good one!

Yep that would suck!

Since I already collect those I have read most of the Barry O'neil stories. They are very cool.

I love the hobby hints! Not going to collect them though....

I'd love to see a Zatara or Slam Bradley reprint, either in Showcase or Archive edition. No way I'm going to purchase those early Tecs and Actions just for those two but I'd love to read the stories.

Zatara and Slam Bradley :cloud9:

In that vein / caliber, I would place Tomahawk who appeared not only in his own title but also in Star Spangled and World's Finest. This fits your question to a T.

I was thinking Tomahawk as well. I'd love to collect those.

Mutt and Jeff would be tough!

Jack

Yannis post of the Crimson Avenger story reminded me of something I've been thinking about for a while. What are the worst second tier characters to like, from a $$ standpoint? For example, it would suck to be the world's biggest Tex Dawson fan. Because you need to buy all those early Actions (and the earliest episodes of your favorite character are only in black, white, and red to boot! lol )

How about being a Golden Arrow or Lance O'Casey fan and you need to buy 155 issues of Whiz Comics, including a few very pricey books. (The only thing worse than that is collecting Paratrooper covers and having to buy an Action 2. :) )

I'm sure you guys can come up with examples for this thread.