• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are any of the first 50 issues of National Lampoon worth keeping?

31 posts in this topic

I went halves on a collection with a small local dealer (for a quick flip) and it apparently includes an unread/close to unread run of the first 50 issues of National Lampoon. Are any of them worth keeping for myself? Also, what do early 'Poons usually sell for?

They don't sell for much but they are definitely worth keeping. I don't know what early issues go for or or which ones are considered rare but i imagine there'd be high interest in any of the Frazetta covers or any other classic cover in high graded. I sold a VFNM 70s Frazetta cover for $20 (naked babe playing King Kong on Empire State Building).

Obviously check ebay but rarely are they high grade there. Problem is, the heavy hitters aren't into comic magazines like these so prices are pretty low/flat.

Ed

Thanks. The only Lampoons I read were the ones from the late 70s/early 80s that were still kicking around at my grandparents place from my uncle's high school days. My favorite feature was the "Send a picture of your girlfriend naked with a paper bag/whatever on her head"! I will never forget the day my grandmother found us with them (I was 8 or 9) and told us not to read them. My uncle was home that holiday weekend and asked why. Her response was classic: "Because they are full of pictures of, of, of, beavers!" lol

So this is the reason you needed to sell a few comics. Can you tell us a little of the collection and how you heard about it?

The magazines are the remnants from a huge OO collection in LA I have been buying piecemeal for the past 3 or 4 years. Mel and I did not want the mags since we only dealt with comics and magazines were slow sellers, but I went to one local dealer I thought that might be interested and he said yes. However, he could not afford it all so I went halves on it with him for resale. In addition to the Lampoon run, there is also a complete run of Mad from #1 - #130 something, plus all of the early annuals, one-shots, specials; runs of Sick and Cracked from #1 to the early/mid 70s; a few low grade ECs (FR condition), plus a bunch of Archies, a bound edition of Prize Comics #12 - 17 (or something like that), and a few miscellaneous comics/mags/fanzines/paperbacks.

Doug Sulipa knows a lot about National Lampoons. Oddly enough, when we talked about them he really wanted the later issues...you know...the ones that had low print runs.

There's one that has a chear-leader showing just a bit more bottom ( think it's called the "High School Reunion" issue) than normal, naturally Frazetta covers...and any covers with a certain actress' pic on the cover..sorry...can't think of her name but her first role in a movie was a 12 yr. old prost.....I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to figure that one out and let you know.

cworld@mts.net

for all the answers.

Doug Sulipa knows a lot about National Lampoons. Oddly enough, when we talked about them he really wanted the later issues...you know...the ones that had low print runs.

There's one that has a chear-leader showing just a bit more bottom ( think it's called the "High School Reunion" issue) than normal, naturally Frazetta covers...and any covers with a certain actress' pic on the cover..sorry...can't think of her name but her first role in a movie was a 12 yr. old prost.....I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to figure that one out and let you know.

cworld@mts.net

for all the answers.

Brooke Shields? :baiting:

cworld@mts.net

for all the answers.

Brooke Shields? :baiting:

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks greggy.Anything with a Brook Shields cover is in demand.

I sold mine recently. Now mind you I didn't have the first few but none of my first fifty got money worth commenting on. I did get money for the cover with P.J O'Rourke dressed up as a girl and for the one with the painting of the professor about to spank the female student. I don't think they have had much collectable value recently, but you can now buy a DVD of the complete Lampoon for about $35.00. That may have had some effect on the price as well.

The first issue, the two Frazetta covers, and the "Kill This Dog" cover are the ones that I see sell well. Its a shame, actually, that there's no demand for Lampoons anymore. People don't realize just how out there the Lampoon was in the 1970s.

Damn kids.

These are classic covers as well.

(August 1971)

Court-martialed Vietnam War murderer William Calley sporting the guileless grin of

Alfred E. Neuman, complete with the parody catchphrase, 'What, My Lai?"

7108cover_s.gif

Kelly Freas artwork

(January 1972)

The iconic image of Argentine revolutionary Che Guevara being splattered with a cream pie.

7201cover_s.jpg

The issues with Neal Adams' "Son 'o' God Comics"

(Jan 1972) "What Mad Apocalypse?"

(Dec 1972) "Power To The Papel"

(Aug 1973) "Flight to Egypt!"

(May 1974) “Son-O'-God Meets Zimmerman: When Superstars Collide!”

(Dec 1974) “A Savior is Born!”

and "Deadman"

(January 1973) "The Adventures of Deadman"

may be worth a bit more than the others.

Also by Neal Adams:

(November 1971)

"Dragula"

(October 1972)

"The Ventures of Zimmerman"

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/images/zimmerman.html

(May 1974)

Son-O'-God Meets Zimmerman

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/images/zimmerman2.html

(October 1974)

"VD Comics"

(February 1978)

"Sgt. Nick P e n i s and the Brass Ball Battalion"

The Best of National Lampoon #3 (1973) Neal Adams cover

bestof3.jpg

The National Lampoon Encyclopedia of Humor (1973) Bernie Wrightson cover

Back cover by Frank Frazetta

"Cowgirls at War" by Russ Heath

encyclopedia.jpg

(April 1971)

7104cover_s.gif

(June 1972)

7206cover_s.jpg

(August 1973)

7308cover_s.jpg

Mark's Very Large National Lampoon Site

http://www.marksverylarge.com/index.html

has a classified section for back issues.

http://www.marksverylarge.com/classifieds.html

The National Lampoon Encyclopedia of Humor (1973) Bernie Wrightson cover

Back cover by Frank Frazetta

encyclopedia.jpg

Would anyone happen to have a scan of that back cover they'd be willing to post?