• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight movie hits TOP 100 Revenue List (inflation adjusted)

33 posts in this topic

It just moved into the TOP 100 List.

This is the list that takes inflation into account. Got a longggggg way to go to catch GONE WITH THE WIND at #1 (only 1/4 of the way there so far)

Still very impressive. Give Chris Nolan a raise on the next one.

Chris Nolan, please don't make another. Leave them wanting more. Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where George started walking out on a high note. We love James Cameron because he made T2 and not T3. He made Aliens and not Resurection. And.... I'm outta here.

Chris Nolan, please don't make another. Leave them wanting more. Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where George started walking out on a high note. We love James Cameron because he made T2 and not T3. He made Aliens and not Resurection. And.... I'm outta here.

(thumbs u

Although, we loved James Cameron because he gave us T1 and Aliens. We broke up with him when he made Titanic :sick:

I think Gone With The Wind and all those other movies that were re-released should be on a separate list. Sound of Music should be the number 1 movie to beat when adjusted for inflation at just over 1 Billion at the box office. Dark Knight should crack the top 10 of movies that weren't re-released. Forrest Gump would be number 10 of movies not re-released at 556 million (#22 counting re-released movies). Probably will also be able to move by Star Wars: Phantom Menace that is sitting at 600 million. DK is a longshot to pass The Sting at 631 million.

The important target is the #33 slot, the first Spider-Man movie that made $491,952,000 inflation adjusted. That is the current top grossing comic book based movie of all time, based on inflation adjusted numbers.

Dark Knight is at $350 MM and still taking in almost $10 MM a day.

I think Spidey will fall, and I don't see any other comic based movie overtaking Dark Knight on this list..... ever.

Not unless another comic movie can top the -script, acting, directing, popularity of the character, and novelty of the villian dying during production.

The hype for Dark Knight is just ridiculous still. When I was in California last week for work, and away from the family for a few days, I finally got the chance to see it - amazing to say the least. The theater was pretty full considering it was a weekday evening and the audience cheered at the end. :applause:

The trend I'm starting to notice is that now non-comic fans, people who just like good films, are starting to get excited about it. If that continues I believe we'll see some pretty incredible numbers continue for this tour de force. (thumbs u

when a movie becomes a "phenomenon" that every one you talk to HAS seen, or plans to see, you have little reason to resist it. Because most of the holdouts you speak to have changed their minds and gone or will go. Its the same thing for all the top grossing films. It becomes a universal experience all feel compelled to become part of the longer it stays around.

I remember ET was initially either just a kids movie, or a scifi film... until it crossed over into societal phenomenon territory. Then women, couples older people all went too when everyone they spoke to had seen it or said they planned to,

Although, we loved James Cameron because he gave us T1 and Aliens. We broke up with him when he made Titanic

Come on, as much as I hated some of the dialogue, it was a beautifully made movie and a true spectacle.

I think Gone With The Wind and all those other movies that were re-released should be on a separate list. Sound of Music should be the number 1 movie to beat when adjusted for inflation at just over 1 Billion at the box office.

I think you should probably recheck your math or take a closer look at the actual numbers. hm

There is no way in the world that Sound of Music would beat out Gone With the Wind even if you factor out the re-released box office revenues. After all, the initial run of Gone With the Wind generated almost $190M in 1937 with only the remaining $9M coming from re-releases.

As far as I can tell, $189.5M in 1937 should still beat out $158.7M from 1965 for the Sound of Music.

Damn Lou, there you go letting fact get in the way of a good argument :naughty:

As you wish, Arex! Something a little more subjective and argumentive.

Is there any point to comparing box office number for current movies with classics such as Gone With the Wind. Especially considering that 1937 is so very different from 2008, particularly when you are talking about entertainment alternatives.

We should always expect movies from the 30's to draw in bigger dollars (inflation adjusted) simply due to the more limited entertainment avenues for the general public at the time. Nowadays, we have television, video games, movie rentals, internet and what have you that did not exit back in the 30's. In addition, I am sure that nobody was expecting to pick up their own personal copy of GWTW six months after its release.

I would be surprised if any of today's movies could ever challenge the inflation adjusted box office numbers for GWTW since a lot of other things besides inflation have also changed from the 30's. No comparison at all. hm

We should always expect movies from the 30's to draw in bigger dollars (inflation adjusted) simply due to the more limited entertainment avenues for the general public at the time.

I have no idea why people continue to make statements like this, since there are ONLY TWO MOVIES FROM THE 1930's IN THE ENTIRE TOP 100!! :makepoint:

If your thesis were correct, then the entire Top 100 would be full of movies from the 1930's, but in reality, there is a really nice mix of "event movies" from all eras. Here's the top 6 movies / decades:

1. Gone with the Wind 1930's

2. Star Wars 1970's

3. The Sound of Music 1960's

4. E.T. 1980's

5. The Ten Commandments 1950's

6. Titanic 1990's

Gone with the Wind was the biggest event movie ever, and I am a little sick of this fallacy of "comparing 1930's movies is unfair because all of them made more money" argument. Once again, only TWO (2!!) movies out of the top 100 were from the '30's.

I wonder what Gone with the Wind would have pulled in if at the time they could've used viral advertising. Lists that span time periods like this are kind of dumb. Its like comparing great pieces of literature with modern classics. It just doesn't work.

I think Gone With The Wind and all those other movies that were re-released should be on a separate list. Sound of Music should be the number 1 movie to beat when adjusted for inflation at just over 1 Billion at the box office.

I think you should probably recheck your math or take a closer look at the actual numbers. hm

There is no way in the world that Sound of Music would beat out Gone With the Wind even if you factor out the re-released box office revenues. After all, the initial run of Gone With the Wind generated almost $190M in 1937 with only the remaining $9M coming from re-releases.

As far as I can tell, $189.5M in 1937 should still beat out $158.7M from 1965 for the Sound of Music.

Actually....you should take a closer look at the numbers.

Gone With the Wind Re-Release Box Office Results

I wonder what Gone with the Wind would have pulled in if at the time they could've used viral advertising.

It did use very innovative advertising for the time, and there was lots of print ads of each character (like the Batman Forever ads), vast promotional materials, and even theatrical updates on casting and filming.

I've seen a few documentaries on GWTW and most people have no clue on what a major event it really was. Anyone from 8 to 80 absolutely had to see it, and more than once. The only other movies that really came close were The Sound of Music, Star Wars and Titanic.

Actually....you should take a closer look at the numbers.

Gone With the Wind Re-Release Box Office Results

Not exactly sure of what you are getting at here!!! (shrug)

Your numbers indicate the 1998 re-release generating around $6.9M dollars only, as the all-time gross moves from $191.7M up to $198.6M as a result of this 1998 re-release.

This roughly lines up with Mojo's box office breakdown which shows the following revenues generated from the 3 releases:

1) 1939 = $189.5M

2) 1989 = $2.4M

3) 1998 = $6.8M

Total all-time gross = $198.7M