• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man! Didn't know modern art would appreciate so quickly!

32 posts in this topic

A seller can "ASK" whatever they like. The price it gets SOLD at is all that matters. hm

If you sold a page and made a profit you did good. move on. :golfclap:

Agreed! If you were able to buy a page and quicly sell it for a profit, that's not quite appreciation, the page was originally mispriced. And an asking price does not mean that is the market value.

Malvin

I had it a bit higher...didn't move...

Dealers have more people watching their sites, so their stuff moves easier at a slightly higher price. Hence the reason why collectors consign pieces to dealers.

The dealer may also have priced his art higher based on another dealer being able to sell Jiminez's ASM covers for $5K and may view the artist as "hot". Just because ASM covers sell, doesn't always dictate the artists' earlier works will command that premium.

Time will tell whether $850 for that particular page will sell.

If you were happy with the initial transaction, that's all that matters.

Cheers!

N

That will sit on Anthonys site for ages at that price.

I just checked Jimenez's section on Spencers site, and theres still lots of nice pages that are more desirable than this one that you can get for that price or much less.

Just cause a dealer pulls a price from thin air and dictates this is how much a piece is worth, doesn't meen that's the actual market value...

To all, I'm well aware of Jimenez's current pricing in the market and was just being a bit sarcastic in my first post. I basicly sold the page for $350, which was a fair price and in line with his going rate for such a page. I just had a chuckle when I saw it for the price it was listed. :)

The dealer may also have priced his art higher based on another dealer being able to sell Jiminez's ASM covers for $5K and may view the artist as "hot". Just because ASM covers sell, doesn't always dictate the artists' earlier works will command that premium.

Time will tell whether $850 for that particular page will sell.

If you were happy with the initial transaction, that's all that matters.

Cheers!

N

Agreed. ASM covers are a beast unto themselves. These days, if you can get a recent ASM cover for less than $5K, you should jump on it! Jimenez (note the spelling of his name), McNiven, Bachalo ASM covers did not sit around waiting for buyers :takeit:

Yes, but a good chunk of those covers are in the collection of a small handful of collectors. It's not like people left and right were snapping them up at 5K. Put a Jimenez ASM cover up on Ebay with no reserve, odds are it wont hit 5K.

As with a lot of the nice modern stuff, the demand is being driven by a small amount of people. Wether or not they'll stick around the hobby for the long haul, keeping the demand this high, remains to be seen.

Thankfully Ultimate Spider-Man art is still cheap... Anyone got any they want to sell me! :D

HIya, Nelson:

I don't think Romita's covers for his upcoming story arc will be for sale, but if they were, I suspect $5K wouldn't cut it

Isnt Romita Keeping all his art as a legacy for his kids?

JRJR has put some art for sale (i.e, WW Hulk, Eternals, etc.) I'm sure he'll hang onto some select covers (most likely his upcoming ASM run). The kids can always read the TPB. :grin:

Janson has not sold any of his art in about 15 years. Usually when he works with JRjr, they allocate complete issues - JRJR gets 2 complete issues and covers, Janson gets the 3rd issue and cover.

Cheers!

N

Janson has not sold any of his art in about 15 years. N

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Janson has in fact sold some of his artwork this year.

Regarding the upcoming ASM story arc, I'm wondering what amount it would take to get the cover to the one with Spidey, Venom & Anti-Venom. That's an awesome looking cover! Some of the other covers from his upcoming run also look really nice.

Janson has not sold any of his art in about 15 years. N

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Janson has in fact sold some of his artwork this year.

really, and how does one get a hold of Mr. Janson? hm

Man, Donnelly is the worst. He bought the cover to Conan #275 for approx. $700 around a year ago. He is selling it for $3500. (I mean not selling it). That is a ridiculous price at half that! Conan covers appreciate quickly!