• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

But Frank, tell us what you really think of slabs? (Frank Miller)

75 posts in this topic

an example would be is that I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

Here at our LCS the new comics are bent up before being put out for sale.

That way the collectibility/investment issue is removed from the equation before anyone has to ponder it.

My man Bedrock, protecting the hobby!

:applause:

Hey, they're new comics! Read the damn things! rantrant

an example would be is that I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

That way the collectibility/investment issue is removed from the equation before anyone has to ponder it.

I'm still trying to finish up reading the old ones.

rantrant

I've worked my way into 1942 now.

:acclaim:

Which makes me wonder how long the back issue market can sustain itself. The number of collectors are dwindling.Will this not be the formula of the future: Decrease in collectors= decrease in demand= decrease in prices? Apologies for the derailing.

What are you basing the "dwindling" hypothesis on? It may not be growing like 20-30 years ago, sure. And in 10 years we may see more boomer collectors dying/selling off to pay for nursing homes than the few new people coming into the hobby, true. But I'm not so sure there will be fewer collectors next month than right now, although the fickle economy may limit their budgets. Heck, we have a bunch of teen or almost teen (like Mutantkeys) collectors right here on these boards. They grew up in the age of Nintendo/Playstation too. Dare I say they may even outnumber the over 60 crowd, although that I'm not sure of.

Medium and long term is a problem, sure.

Decreasing print runs, decreasing issues sold, a lack of interest in comics overall in the younger generation, the average age of a comic collector, etc. I am not insinuating it is just around the corner, or this year, or the next 4 or 5 years, but as you mentioned, more in the medium and long run. But as the collectors get older, will there be enough new collectors coming into the market to off-set it? A lot of collectors eventually find this board, so I would assume it is not uncommon to have a higher number of younger collectors on a comic collectors themed board, but that doesn't necessarily translate into an increase in the number of younger collectors coming onboard overall. I would venture to guess that the number of people over 30 on these boards are a lot higher than people under 30.

I hope Old Guy doesn't see this confession... :popcorn:

Which makes me wonder how long the back issue market can sustain itself. The number of collectors are dwindling.Will this not be the formula of the future: Decrease in collectors= decrease in demand= decrease in prices? Apologies for the derailing.

What are you basing the "dwindling" hypothesis on? It may not be growing like 20-30 years ago, sure. And in 10 years we may see more boomer collectors dying/selling off to pay for nursing homes than the few new people coming into the hobby, true. But I'm not so sure there will be fewer collectors next month than right now, although the fickle economy may limit their budgets. Heck, we have a bunch of teen or almost teen (like Mutantkeys) collectors right here on these boards. They grew up in the age of Nintendo/Playstation too. Dare I say they may even outnumber the over 60 crowd, although that I'm not sure of.

Medium and long term is a problem, sure.

Decreasing print runs, decreasing issues sold, a lack of interest in comics overall in the younger generation, the average age of a comic collector, etc. I am not insinuating it is just around the corner, or this year, or the next 4 or 5 years, but as you mentioned, more in the medium and long run. But as the collectors get older, will there be enough new collectors coming into the market to off-set it? A lot of collectors eventually find this board, so I would assume it is not uncommon to have a higher number of younger collectors on a comic collectors themed board, but that doesn't necessarily translate into an increase in the number of younger collectors coming onboard overall. I would venture to guess that the number of people over 30 on these boards are a lot higher than people under 30.

I think the internet is to blame for the decrease of Comic sales.... I'm pretty sure Kids teens and younger are downloading or reading comics online. I think it's retarded... but anyways I just turned 28 and from what I can tell their is a healthy amount of 20yr olds buying "newer" books..... and keeping in touch with the modern universes. As far as I can tell the long term might be a scary place but the medium is pretty safe..... We'll see how much more technology will play on the "printing" bizzzzness...... Library's are closing comic book stores might be closing soon too???? Only time will tell right?

Even if modern technology does away with the traditional comic book, they will always be available in digital format. I don't see that happening anyway. As far as comics as vintage collectibles go, that market is here to stay. An Action 1, and other golden age keys (silver as well), will always go for a bunch no matter what the current state of print media.

Even if modern technology does away with the traditional comic book, they will always be available in digital format. I don't see that happening anyway. As far as comics as vintage collectibles go, that market is here to stay. An Action 1, and other golden age keys (silver as well), will always go for a bunch no matter what the current state of print media.

Although out numbers are dwindling there will always be people who love the feel, smell and eye appeal of paper.

It's a beautiful thing!

I would venture to guess that the number of people over 30 on these boards are a lot higher than people under 30.

Well, considering you are supposed to be 18 on these boards to start with and given there are a heck of a lot 30+ year olds than people 18-30, this doesn't surprise me.

So 30 is old?????? Those of us born in the 60's and 70's do know how to use 'puters! criminey, when i was a kid i actually had to type a command to get my video games to load on my computer! L$, "_____*", 8, 1. dagnibit! 64KB of power baby! 5 1/4 inch floppies! (for you youngsters, that is not an x-rated reference)

Print runs haven't been decreasing over the last couple of years, aren't they up a little from the nadir of 1999/2000 or thereabouts (putting aside the most recent dip, which I really do think has more to do with the economy than demographics).

But yes, the kiddies, the kiddies, please come back kiddies, who will be 30 when I'm in my 50s and my kids are in college....

I would venture to guess that the number of people over 30 on these boards are a lot higher than people under 30.

Well, considering you are supposed to be 18 on these boards to start with and given there are a heck of a lot 30+ year olds than people 18-30, this doesn't surprise me.

So 30 is old?????? Those of us born in the 60's and 70's do know how to use 'puters! criminey, when i was a kid i actually had to type a command to get my video games to load on my computer! L$, "_____*", 8, 1. dagnibit! 64KB of power baby! 5 1/4 inch floppies! (for you youngsters, that is not an x-rated reference)

Print runs haven't been decreasing over the last couple of years, aren't they up a little from the nadir of 1999/2000 or thereabouts (putting aside the most recent dip, which I really do think has more to do with the economy than demographics).

But yes, the kiddies, the kiddies, please come back kiddies, who will be 30 when I'm in my 50s and my kids are in college....

I hope not. I'm 37. 5 1/4" floppies? Remember Lode Runner? Use to play it on my cousins Franklin computer around 1982 or so. Commodore Vic 20's, etc. Use to have one. Back to collectors. I hope the numbers increase for years to come but it doesn't seem likely. I think it has to do with several factors, not just the economy. For instance, it generally takes me around 12 minutes to read a comic. We'll say 15 minutes just be sure. $3 for 15 minutes = $12/hr. I can see how it would be hard to justify for a teen making minimum wage to spend that. However, he can spend $60 on a video game and get hours of use out of it. Just another small reason though IMO. One of the reasons I got back into collecting a little over 2 years ago is with the hope of my kids getting into collecting. I want them to at least read some instead of sitting in front of a video game all day or watching t.v.

It will make for a huge added cost when he decides to commute to Houston to get his new books.

That's what TPBs and HCs are for. :gossip:

That's what TPBs and HCs are for. :gossip:

I look forward to the day when more trades and hard covers contain original first run material. More and more titles are actually having better sales in trade form then in the original monthly format. Eventually publishers will take the leap. Instead of taking a marginal new mini series (which probably was thought up as a long form story) and breaking it down into a monthly to subsidize a future trade, they will go ahead and publish it in book form first. Books are easier to order, easier to market, have a longer shelf life, and are more profitable. Obviously this isn't as true for long running series and characters and monthly comics will always have a place there. But was there ever really any reason for something like 300 to be printed as a mini series? Or Wanted? Or Watchmen for that matter...

It will make for a huge added cost when he decides to commute to Houston to get his new books.

He's switching to an online mail order system. :)