• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

But Frank, tell us what you really think of slabs? (Frank Miller)

75 posts in this topic

Of course he's right, in that the slabbed comic is a commodity and not a comic book in the original sense.

In total and complete agreement with your above statement! (thumbs u

Not surprised one bit by Frank's opinion asi I feel that virtually any comic book creator would feel exactly the same way. To them, their work and creation is all about the comic book itself. hm

I heard a story that Frank Frazetta was actually surprised to see that anyone saved

those old magazines and comics that he drew. He didn't think they were worth saving.

If he doesn't care for the product then he has every right to not sign them. You make it sound like he's obligated to sign a SS...or anyone for that matter.

Jim

Or..... to discourage people from asking for SS signatures in he future, he could sign all SS requests like this:

cgc129.jpg

maybe it's just me but why have stan sign a book that he didn't write? i'm well aware he co-created the character (spidey that is, as far as i'm aware he had nothing to do w/ the punisher) but aren't there like 108 issues he wrote that you could have him sign?

I don't even need the comic book anymore. I can get a subscription from Marvel and read it right online if I want to. Soon they will have most of their library uploaded. I wonder what that will do to the reader trade?

I have said it several times but CGC/GPA are the only reasons I am back in this hobby. Between restoration and the sell at NM and buy at VF game that dealers played, I was done in 1993.

My question is Frank a collector to begin with to be making that type of comment?

Exactly 95 percent of books 1980`s and up don`t need to be slabbed. I am talking the keys. an example would be is that I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said why? He said it will be worth money, I said so in 25 years it might be worth $5.00 dollars? With inflation by then, if it is worth more than cover it will be a miracle. He looked at me dumbfounded. Then I said you expect me to store this comic for 25 plus years hoping it might be a worth a few bucks? I then said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

Exactly 95 percent of books 1980`s and up don`t need to be slabbed. I am talking the keys. an example would be is that I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said why? He said it will be worth money, I said so in 25 years it might be worth $5.00 dollars? With inflation by then, if it is worth more than cover it will be a miracle. He looked at me dumbfounded. Then I said you expect me to store this comic for 25 plus years hoping it might be a worth a few bucks? I then said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

Yes, a completely different comic book environment nowadays! :(

In the GA days, a top book would sell a million copies and be passed around to be read by several million readers. Now a top book would sell 100,000 copies and yet be read by only 50,000 readers if we are lucky. hm

I heard a story that Frank Frazetta was actually surprised to see that anyone saved

those old magazines and comics that he drew. He didn't think they were worth saving.

But he thought his paintings were worth saving. His family still holds most of his original paintings, from what I have heard. Wish I owned a Frazetta oil painting.

But he thought his paintings were worth saving. His family still holds most of his original paintings, from what I have heard. Wish I owned a Frazetta oil painting.

Right. The paintings were always artworks...

but the magazines and comics were just disposable entertainment.

The original art, lithographs, or other "gallery pieces" were the keepers.

According to him, we're all a little silly for keeping our "Frazetta funny books" at all. :grin:

The concept of modern comics being worth anything is ridiculous. Too much supply, and the paper is too high of quality for it to deteriorate even over 50 years time.

Just think, after people read their Action #1s they folded them up in their pocket too, then threw them in the dumpster :cry:

The concept of modern comics being worth anything is ridiculous. Too much supply, and the paper is too high of quality for it to deteriorate even over 50 years time.

Just think, after people read their Action #1s they folded them up in their pocket too, then threw them in the dumpster :cry:

The problem with moderns isn't supply - it's demand. The print runs now are far smaller than the 60s. However, the smaller supply is mitigated by the fact that most of the books bought now are being bagged/boarded by collectors.

The problem with moderns isn't supply - it's demand. The print runs now are far smaller than the 60s. However, the smaller supply is mitigated by the fact that most of the books bought now are being bagged/boarded by collectors.

That's why I laugh when idiotic publications like Wizard promote the idea that since Modern comics sales are so low, that these will be valuable in the future, when it's exactly the opposite.

The low, predominantly adult, readership is death for future resale value.

That's why I laugh when idiotic publications like Wizard promote the idea that since Modern comics sales are so low, that these will be valuable in the future, when it's exactly the opposite.

The low, predominantly adult, readership is death for future resale value.

True. How many people are going to be nostalgic for a comic that sold 10,000 copies, most of which were bagged, boarded and filed away by already grown-up collectors.

On the other hand, if the comic market boomed again - which it obviously won't, but if it did - then yes current issues would be in short supply as back issues.

I think it's safe to assume that won't happen though.

Ya think?

We're sitting in the middle of a "perfect storm" for comics, movies are breaking records, visibility has never been higher, back issue prices are spiking, etc., yet the already-dismal new comic unit sales are dropping, or at the very best, stagnant.

R.I.P.

...I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said why? He said it will be worth money, I said so in 25 years it might be worth $5.00 dollars? With inflation by then, if it is worth more than cover it will be a miracle. He looked at me dumbfounded. Then I said you expect me to store this comic for 25 plus years hoping it might be a worth a few bucks? I then said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

Exactly the right thing to do to make that issue collectible.

i think the slowing new comic sales are more a result of the lousy economy than a decline in readers giving up comics as they enter their 50s.

i was reading something in the wall street journal on how the average houshold is not spending 11% of their income on gasoline. perhaps as much as 17% of their after tax income.

that's crazy. we spend about $20-25 a week, so it's not so big for us, but the average number of miles driven is $20K+, like double what we drive, and probably with, on average, less efficiency than the 31 mpg/highway I get.

Ya think?

We're sitting in the middle of a "perfect storm" for comics, movies are breaking records, visibility has never been higher, back issue prices are spiking, etc., yet the already-dismal new comic unit sales are dropping, or at the very best, stagnant.

R.I.P.

Which makes me wonder how long the back issue market can sustain itself. The number of collectors are dwindling.Will this not be the formula of the future: Decrease in collectors= decrease in demand= decrease in prices? Apologies for the derailing.

Yes, a completely different comic book environment nowadays! :(

In the GA days, a top book would sell a million copies and be passed around to be read by several million readers. Now a top book would sell 100,000 copies and yet be read by only 50,000 readers if we are lucky. hm

Which is why I do not give a about the condition of my moderns. Every one I have bought have been selectively loaned to folks and in the one year I have been back, I have brought 4 former collectors back into the fold. My goal with moderns is to take the best stuff and get people fired up about comics.

Which makes me wonder how long the back issue market can sustain itself. The number of collectors are dwindling.Will this not be the formula of the future: Decrease in collectors= decrease in demand= decrease in prices? Apologies for the derailing.

What are you basing the "dwindling" hypothesis on? It may not be growing like 20-30 years ago, sure. And in 10 years we may see more boomer collectors dying/selling off to pay for nursing homes than the few new people coming into the hobby, true. But I'm not so sure there will be fewer collectors next month than right now, although the fickle economy may limit their budgets. Heck, we have a bunch of teen or almost teen (like Mutantkeys) collectors right here on these boards. They grew up in the age of Nintendo/Playstation too. Dare I say they may even outnumber the over 60 crowd, although that I'm not sure of.

Medium and long term is a problem, sure.

an example would be is that I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

Here at our LCS the new comics are bent up before being put out for sale.

That way the collectibility/investment issue is removed from the equation before anyone has to ponder it.

an example would be is that I went into my local comics shop, grabbed a New Titans, bought it, was about to fold it and put in my back pocket, the comics clerk cringed. he said I should bag and board it. I said I am buying this comic to read. I then folded it and put in my back pocket and walked out. Comic clerk still had that dumbfounded look on his face.

Here at our LCS the new comics are bent up before being put out for sale.

That way the collectibility/investment issue is removed from the equation before anyone has to ponder it.

My man Bedrock, protecting the hobby!

:applause: