• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

But Frank, tell us what you really think of slabs? (Frank Miller)

75 posts in this topic

Interesting opinion from Frank on slabs:

"I think it's all pretty silly," said Miller, whose graphic novels "300" and "Sin City" have led to major Hollywood success stories. "But I'm of a generation that love the feel and smell of these ephemeral old leaflets. ... Maybe it will get to the point where I can put out comics that have blank pages inside - just covers - and no one will notice." :roflmao:

Full article here

Of course he's right, in that the slabbed comic is a commodity and not a comic book in the original sense. What he's missing is that he's likely not a collector of vintage comics himself, and so does not suffer from the slings and arrows of buying raw books that are either wildly overgraded or, worse, have undisclosed restoration. Had he been burned big a few times as a collector, he might understand the slab. He could even buy slabs and crack the suckers out, like many of us.

Probably thinks its just as silly :shrug: I also think his dislike for slabbing plays heavily into the difficulty our esteemed SS witnesses have in securing siggies for us. Obviously, he's entitled to his opinion but maybe he shouldn't bait his fans so much. After all, his fans (many of whom are slabbers) are the people responsible for continuing to support him. I can't imagine non-comic fans would have hoisted him as high.

Just my 2c

I do find it ironic that I actually agree with Richard Muchin and what he was quoted as saying in the article.

I don`t know about him but if I ever get a Action 1 or Detective 27, I am leaving it slabbed, not going to take his advice of opening them. if I want to read Action 1 or any valuable comics. I will read the reprints. I thank Steve Borock for coming up with CGC. the best thing that happened to the hobby the 15 years I was out.

Of course he's right, in that the slabbed comic is a commodity and not a comic book in the original sense. What he's missing is that he's likely not a collector of vintage comics himself, and so does not suffer from the slings and arrows of buying raw books that are either wildly overgraded or, worse, have undisclosed restoration. Had he been burned big a few times as a collector, he might understand the slab. He could even buy slabs and crack the suckers out, like many of us.

An experienced collector, who has done his homework on restoration identification doesn't need a third party grading service to tell him if a book has had restoration or not. I do understand, however, that there are a lot of unscrupulous collectors and dealers who will try to sell restored books as unrestored. The third party services is a valuable asset for those who don't have the experience necessary to ID restoration or to properly grade a comic book.

I do find it ironic that I actually agree with Richard Muchin and what he was quoted as saying in the article.

Richard is probably one of the most knowledgable people in this hobby. Unfortunately, he likes to restore his own books...

An experienced collector, who has done his homework on restoration identification doesn't need a third party grading service to tell him if a book has had restoration or not. I do understand, however, that there are a lot of unscrupulous collectors and dealers who will try to sell restored books as unrestored. The third party services is a valuable asset for those who don't have the experience necessary to ID restoration or to properly grade a comic book.

A perfect example is what is going on with those mego action figures right now, people paying hundreds for mego action figures that have been restored. they need a CGC to make things honest again.

I don`t know about him but if I ever get a Action 1 or Detective 27, I am leaving it slabbed, not going to take his advice of opening them. if I want to read Action 1 or any valuable comics. I will read the reprints. I thank Steve Borock for coming up with CGC. the best thing that happened to the hobby the 15 years I was out.

I don't think of myself as a slab collector (only 3 slabs in my collection-2 of which were given to me), but the one I did purchase is an ASM #1. And frankly, I'm leaving it in the slab. While I know some of the basics of resto detection, this was a much easier way to purchase the comic. Plus, because this comic was a big investment of my personal money, I didn't want to any chance for damaging it (hence leaving it in the slab). Who knows if I'll crack it out down the road though.

I think this is well put. The only caveat I might attach is the inability to fully assess the condition of a lower grade slab. With a 9.2, you are pretty much getting exactly what you see. There is a great range of defects that simply are not allowed in this grade.

However, we all also understand how one 7.0 might by nicer than another 7.0 based upon the type or number of defects accumulated (we all have our bugbears). Raw books can be compared or judged individually, slabbed books cannot be assessed this way under current standards. In other words, the 7.0 that I like might not have the qualities necessary to be a good 7.0 in someone else's eyes.

If reasonably detailed graders' notes were available over the Internet, hidden aspects of the grading could be judged and one can more honestly be buying the book and not the grade.

I understand that that a database has been promised for years and that there is a cost associated with greater time afforded to each book --- but still. rantrant

Richard is probably one of the most knowledgable people in this hobby. Unfortunately, he likes to restore his own books...

and neglect to mention the fact?

and neglect to mention the fact?

And does it poorly.

After all, his fans (many of whom are slabbers) are the people responsible for continuing to support him.

lol You seriously overestimate the percentage of Miller's fanbase who actually buy slabs, let alone those SS inbreeds.

No, many does not mean all Joe. I'm well aware the population on this board is not representative of comic collectors as a whole. They're a very small population in my neck of the woods. Still, there is a large group out there who do spend large amounts of money on slabs--that was my point. Sorry if it was unclear.