• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze-age on the Registry

9 posts in this topic

There have been a couple of different points on this topic raised in different threads so I thought we could get some more posts from the bronze collectors if we brought the discussion together.

The first theme raised in several posts is, "What does CGC consider the bronze-age?" Or more accurately, "what does CGC consider the modern-age?" since award-winning "modern-age" sets in the past two years have been considered "bronze-age" books by most collectors. The prime example of this confusion has been with respect to the X-Men 94-143 run. Most collectors consider these books to be bronze-age but CGC has given them awards in the "Modern-Age" category.

Let me start by saying that I won a 2008 award for my X-Men 94-143 run and I am happy :) (even though greggy says modern-age awards don't count...) But, I do think that some definition of the criteria used by CGC to define a "bronze-age" set for purposes of awards would be helpful.

I know some Boardies have said that since CGC considers books to be "modern" for purposes of their grading prices if the book was published in 1975 or later, it also makes sense to consider these books "modern" for purposes of awards. I have not heard that response from CGC (or maybe I missed it) but I have to say that I find that argument unpersuasive. CGC pricing tiers and collecting opinions are unrelated. If CGC had called their "modern" pricing tier anything but "modern," that argument would have no merit at all. There is no "silver age" or "bronze-age" grading tier" and I think keeping the awards separate from the grading tiers makes sense and will avoid future questions if/when the grading tiers change.

The second theme that has come up related to bronze-age on the Registry is the desire for more bronze-age sets. Currently, for many titles the only set available for listing books is the complete run such as, "Captain America 100-454"

The points awarded to silver books are so much higher than those given to bronze books that a top-grade bronze run might not even crack the top ten sets in a complete run category. Will CGC search within overall runs to find those with award-winning bronze books? For instance, I am working on a bronze Thor run and I currently have about 50 top-census books. I think my run currently places 10th in the Thor category. Now, my Thor run is not at the award-winning level (yet) but even if I had top census copies of all 120 bronze (1970s) Thor books, I don't think my run would crack the top five Thor runs. Would CGC awards judges even know it existed?

I think separate bronze registry runs would also serve to increase the number of sets listed. I list most of my books but I know several other bronze collectors that wouldn't list their run of 20-30 high-grade bronze books because they would be 15th-20th in the overall category. Would they list them if those same books would make for a top-five bronze run? hm

Another bronze-age run I would love to see is the Avengers/Defenders War (Avengers 115-118 & Defenders 8-11).

I know that this is a samller run but I frequently hear from other collectors that it ranks among their top bronze goals. I know that putting together a CGC 9.6 run was one of my earliest goals along with Amazing Adventures 11-17.

What other runs would make nice bronze-age Registry runs?

I think some of your arguments are legit...however, I am in the same boat as you, as I don't know what "grabs their eye" when they go about hunting for winners. Congrats this year, btw.

You'll never see complain for seeing "more bronze in the registry" although there is a lot of junk.

I think some of your arguments are legit...however, I am in the same boat as you, as I don't know what "grabs their eye" when they go about hunting for winners. Congrats this year, btw.

You'll never see me argue for "more bronze in the registry" although there is a lot of junk.

Congrats to you too. Your HOM run is an example of more of the types of sets we need IMO. It excludes the silver books prior to 174 and is (rightly) considered bronze even though it includes books up to 1983.

There have been a couple of different points on this topic raised in different threads so I thought we could get some more posts from the bronze collectors if we brought the discussion together.

The first theme raised in several posts is, "What does CGC consider the bronze-age?" Or more accurately, "what does CGC consider the modern-age?" since award-winning "modern-age" sets in the past two years have been considered "bronze-age" books by most collectors. The prime example of this confusion has been with respect to the X-Men 94-143 run. Most collectors consider these books to be bronze-age but CGC has given them awards in the "Modern-Age" category.

Let me start by saying that I won a 2008 award for my X-Men 94-143 run and I am happy :) (even though greggy says modern-age awards don't count...) But, I do think that some definition of the criteria used by CGC to define a "bronze-age" set for purposes of awards would be helpful.

I agree, there are some amazing true Modern sets registered that will never get the recognition they deserve due to the Bronze/Modern award issue.

I was glad to see Oneasian's Cap run get an award for presentation at least.

Another bronze-age run I would love to see is the Avengers/Defenders War (Avengers 115-118 & Defenders 8-11).

I know that this is a samller run but I frequently hear from other collectors that it ranks among their top bronze goals. I know that putting together a CGC 9.6 run was one of my earliest goals along with Amazing Adventures 11-17.

What other runs would make nice bronze-age Registry runs?

A great Registry set would be the 1st Thanos Saga. Arex started a thread on it a while back. It would be truly awesome. I used to have a Bronze Silver Surfer checklist with all of his Bronze appearances after the cancellation of his own series. I don't know if that would appeal to anyone else.

Custom sets will allow a lot of this to happen, but they won't be scored or ranked. Great thread!