• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best Bronze Age artist..who was your favorite?

70 posts in this topic

For me it was Ploog, and considering he was drawing Werewolf by Night @ what 16 yrs. old!!! Love or hate Man-Thing, Ploogs was awesome, and to this day the very best Frankenstein Monster I have ever seen, plus I think his WBN is the best lycantrope I have ever seen. Does anyone know when he got into the booze heavy and started missing deadlines? I understand he is now, or was doing story boards for Disney movies. Plus, ever see the Ploog cover of WBN he did for Strange Tales in the late 90's-awesome. thumbsup2.gif

Hard to see how Neal Adams doesn't take this one in a walk, unless people are disqualifying him because he started out pre-Bronze Age? confused.gif

I'm with you on this one. Everyone else mentioned is great- Wrightson, BWS and Starlin are three of my favorites, but the idea that ANYONE but Neal Adams would come out on top in this thread is surprising- maybe it's because he worked in the late 60s (but then again so did BWS) or the difference between "best" and "favorite?"

Thinking about it from that perspective for "Best", I'd say Adams without hesitation, but my "Favorite" might be Adams or maybe one of the three mentioned above...

But, in terms of importance and influence, the gap between Adams and whoever might the be the number two guy on the list (I'd say Barry Windsor-Smith) is pretty big. Adams single-handedly changed comic art forever. Everyone that drew in a "realistic" style later on is just following in his footsteps.

Almost inconceivable John Byrne hasn't been mentioned.

While I agree Neal Adams might be the greatest comic artist ever, John Byrne in the 70s(while he was only drawing since 1975) was head and shoulders above everyone else save Neal Adams IMO.

Another oft-overlooked artist that did some amazing stuff was Michael Golden.

Honorable mention - Michael Kaluta.

Neal Adams but BWS' art near the end of his Conan run is phenomenal. I don't think that he has ever matched it elsewhere! frown.gif

I gotta agree here. Conan #23 & #24 are two of my favorite BWS issues!

And, while I love Adams' stuff, he just isn't my personal favorite. Perhaps we would be if he'd stayed on a title longer than a few issues at a time! That used to drive me nuts.

And great point about Byrne - why didn't more people note him? He was really amazing! Maybe some folks didn't include him because he was so prolific in the 80's (through today) too?