• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GCD Whitespaces

75 posts in this topic

Had my scanner out...so I also scanned these for you.

Teen Age Temptations 5

Teen Age Romances 26

Teen Age Romances 25

Diary Secrets 26

Teen Age Romances 44

Teen Age Romances 40

If you need me to crop these, just let me know.

Did you mean to attach images?

Thanks,

Jack

Had my scanner out...so I also scanned these for you.

Teen Age Temptations 5

Teen Age Romances 26

Teen Age Romances 25

Diary Secrets 26

Teen Age Romances 44

Teen Age Romances 40

If you need me to crop these, just let me know.

Jack,

What's the GCD policy for keeping fudged/faked covers? In particular, Ace's Complete Love Magazine #173 where someone has merged the top of #176 with what I'm hoping is actually the bottom portion of a #173 (but who knows??). And Baffling Mysteries #26 where it looks like someone took the original art scan from Heritage ( found here) and colored it in and pasted a masthead on it from another issue?

Fake: 10102_026.jpg

Real: 26.gif

Here's my old copy if you still need it:

baffling26.jpg

Chess-themed cover! :cloud9:

Jack,

What's the GCD policy for keeping fudged/faked covers? In particular, Ace's Complete Love Magazine #173 where someone has merged the top of #176 with what I'm hoping is actually the bottom portion of a #173 (but who knows??). And Baffling Mysteries #26 where it looks like someone took the original art scan from Heritage ( found here) and colored it in and pasted a masthead on it from another issue?

Fake: 10102_026.jpg

Real: 26.gif

Here's my old copy if you still need it:

baffling26.jpg

Chess-themed cover! :cloud9:

That'll work just fine.

Thanks.

Jack

Jack,

I updated the Fox errata page with a link to the scan of the advertisement responsible for "Full Color Comics" being mistaken as a Fox title in some early OPGs (they also had "They Ring the Bell" as a Fox title too... which also appears in this advert).

Clearly there is no such title and the bogus entry at GCD should be removed.

-Giff

Thanks,

Jack

The images to these are all on the previous page. I just applied for a username and password to the GCD. I think then I can begin to upload pictures?

Thanks,

Jack

The images to these are all on the previous page. I just applied for a username and password to the GCD. I think then I can begin to upload pictures?

doh!

I missed them last night. I must have been editing a reply when you posted them, then jumped to the next page.

I cropped and uploaded them. Thanks.

Diary Secrets 26 is quite a cover -- subtle colors, surprisingly erotic central image, voyeuristic horse and all. Is that Matt Baker? (Probably.)

img212.jpg

You don't need a username or password to upload covers. Just click on a white space link in a scan matrix like this one, or click on the "Got a scan?" graphic on an issue page like this one. An upload page will appear, where you can enter your email address, name and browse to the image on your computer.

Emails and names for uploaded images do NOT appear anywhere on the site, so you don't have to worry about becoming a spam magnet by uploading an image.

If you're having trouble navigating the uploads, send me a PM or just keep posting the images here and I'll upload them.

Thanks again for all the obscure (i.e., not superhero) cover scans!

Jack

Giff:

I need to do some Real Life work first, then I'll check on this. Thanks for the update.

Strange that there's a skeleton for (bogus) Full Color Comics, since there's no data there. Skeletons are supposed to be set up from the book itself. Someone must have contributed this title directly from the Overstreet entry.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

I updated the Fox errata page with a link to the scan of the advertisement responsible for "Full Color Comics" being mistaken as a Fox title in some early OPGs (they also had "They Ring the Bell" as a Fox title too... which also appears in this advert).

-Giff

I just took a look at your Fox errata page. Thanks for the scan of the ad -- for anyone that didn't follow the link:

fox_ad.jpg

I'll check back after I add a GCD skeleton for "Only 10¢", one of my favorite forgotten Fox comic books.

Jack

Jack,

-Giff

Jack,

-Giff

Thanks for the ad -- pretty funny. I see that both "Full Color Comics" and "They Ring the Bell" were listed in Overstreet #30 (at exactly the same price!) but no longer showed up in #37. I posted the ad in the Full Color Comic cover slot with an explanatory note about the error. I'll let the experienced editors decide whether to keep it posted so that the error doesn't creep back into the database.

Your comments about Ajax/Farrell and related publishers spurred a lively discussion on the main GCD list. Here are some of the most knowledgeable comments. Since Steinway and Ajax/Farrell/etc. didn't share an address, what's your source showing that Steinway should be listed as an imprint of Ajax/Farrell? Does anyone else here know a connection? Of course all these companies published Iger shop stories, but who didn't?

Thanks again for the errata. Lots of action on them. I'll post a summary soon.

Jack

"Four Star was a combined setup between (Robert) Farrell & Superior Publishers (Canada). Only survived a short period, c 1947-49. The Superior address (2382 Dundas) was quoted on some (all?) issues.

Mike Feldman considers this to be Farrell/Iger studio providing content & with Superior supplying the trees for paper & printing.

Following a split (reasoning uncertain), titles were split between the two companies (Farrell & Superior).

Warning/ There is a separate Farrell company called Superior Comics, Inc sometimes quoting Dundas address but it is definitely Farrell.

Ajax was created as a cover imprint 1954 to distance itself from earlier Farrell, threat of code & now contentious lines. (errata/ the Ajax logo apes the Dell one, hoping to also be considered good comics!!)

Farrell as an imprint was dropped at that time. However, Robert Farrell's name can still be found inside, so they are effectively one & same.

America's Best was a cover imprint only. The publisher name was Steinway, quoting a new address (113 West 57th, NYC), otherwise unconnected to any other publisher known here. there is also no mention of Farrell inside any copies i've seen.

However, caveat, warning etc, the stories contained are reprints of earlier Farrell comics.

As many will know, these were created by Iger Studios, who did stories for Farrell, Superior (Canada) & other companies.

How GCD classify all this i'll leave to them."

Well, a couple of sources. The first was Jerry Bails website which shows Steinway/America's Best being an imprint of the Farrell "group". The other source was GCD which already lists Dark Shadows and Strange Journey under Ajax (with Apache Trail and My Personal Problem being listed under Steinway). All four are "AB" logo imprinted titles. I don't have a strong opinion either way, but clearly all of the Steinway/AB comics should be grouped together. I have no idea what Bails' evidence was for putting Steinway/AB under Farrell to begin with... so that's still somewhat of a mystery. But if all of the AB "material" was Farrell reprints then I don't have any problem with grouping them under Farrell as Bails had done.

Your comments about Ajax/Farrell and related publishers spurred a lively discussion on the main GCD list. Here are some of the most knowledgeable comments. Since Steinway and Ajax/Farrell/etc. didn't share an address, what's your source showing that Steinway should be listed as an imprint of Ajax/Farrell? Does anyone else here know a connection? Of course all these companies published Iger shop stories, but who didn't?

Other sources that link Steinway to Ajax are Gerber and the OPG. Under the Dark Shadows entry in Gerber's guide he has "Steinway Publications (Ajax)".

In the 33rd OPG they give "Steinway Comic Publ. (Ajax)(America's Best)" under Dark Shadows and "America's Best (Steinway Publ.)(Ajax/Farrell)" under Strange Journey.

The OPG entries probably explain why those two titles ended up in the Ajax group at GCD.

Thanks -- exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.

Jack

Other sources that link Steinway to Ajax are Gerber and the OPG. Under the Dark Shadows entry in Gerber's guide he has "Steinway Publications (Ajax)".

In the 33rd OPG they give "Steinway Comic Publ. (Ajax)(America's Best)" under Dark Shadows and "America's Best (Steinway Publ.)(Ajax/Farrell)" under Strange Journey.

The OPG entries probably explain why those two titles ended up in the Ajax group at GCD.

The stories in #1 are:

Bedeviled Puppet

Eternal Struggle (text)

There's a Will and There's a Way

Speedy, the Sport!

Lighthouse Keeper Wanted!

The stories in #4 match those currently listed for #1.

And yes, that's a scan of my copy.

2749995873_4168db3f4a_o.jpg

2750831208_89ab65cd24_o.jpg

2749997053_c47d14eb41_o.jpg

I tried to download these onto GCD but had some problems. The Termptations 3 scan that is there is my old slightly off center scan. The MMM scans are edited versions of someones post on these boards.

bb

Any idea what the problem is?

The stories in #1 are:

Bedeviled Puppet

Eternal Struggle (text)

There's a Will and There's a Way

Speedy, the Sport!

Lighthouse Keeper Wanted!

The stories in #4 match those currently listed for #1.

And yes, that's a scan of my copy.

I moved "issue 1" data to issue 4 and entered your information from issue 1.

Is this all correct for #1?

Date = April 1957

total pages including covers = 36

Features are in the order you listed.

Stories are 6 pp each and text story is 2 pp without illustrations (typeset text only).

Genre for all = occult (not crime or science fiction)

Are you aware of the source of any reprints -- OS notes that that contents are from Voodoo and Strange Fantasy w/ changes -- or any reprinting in later Eerie publications?

Thanks!

Jack

(If anyone is getting annoyed, tell me and we'll move this conversation off-list)

2749995873_4168db3f4a_o.jpg

2750831208_89ab65cd24_o.jpg

2749997053_c47d14eb41_o.jpg

I tried to download these onto GCD but had some problems. The Termptations 3 scan that is there is my old slightly off center scan. The MMM scans are edited versions of someones post on these boards.

bb

Any idea what the problem is?

The problem is that I don't own these books. Send them to me and problems will all be resolved.

Seriously, I'm not sure what was the problem. I set all 3 for replacement and uploaded without problems. Possibly your uploads of the MMM covers were already there, because I ended up having to hit the mysterious Change graphicsserver button to see the upgraded scans.

Thanks!

Jack

(I just print the pages off with the cover gallery scans), just scratch a line through the cover when I get it. Works better than an itimized list of Vol#2 Num4, Vol# H.... :blahblah:......and makes spotting the needed books quicker too

huh. that's a really good idea.

Works for me. (thumbs u

I told bob I am going to steal his idea!