• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Many have tried and failed...

7 posts in this topic

... to successfully mimic Baker.

Add me to the list. Couldn't do it to save my life.

Altho it's not in the same league as Flee's "Special Saucy Tales", I thought you all might find this amusing.

hs24oy6.jpg

It's not my best effort, but it was nice to get back to this style of drawing. For the past two and a half years I've been working in a simplified, poor man's DeCarlo style that looks something like this:

sh01xv6.jpg

Well, hope you all dig it.

Pete

:gossip: Love the Rosa-style dedication (thumbs u

Thanks Scrooge. I wish I could draw half as well as that guy. Rosa's crazy-good.

I'm just now starting to really look at the "Funny Animal" artists. They're truly impressive. Barks is amazing. Kelly is unbelievable.(thank you shiverbones and the Golden Age survivor series.) Simple, by no means, equals easy.

I have no idea how Barks worked with that pen nib. If he really did work with that nib it's just... insanity. The slightest little tremor is translanted to the page. Barks is a master. ( I know I'm late to that party, but Wow.)

I have no idea how Barks worked with that pen nib. If he really did work with that nib it's just... insanity. The slightest little tremor is translanted to the page. Barks is a master. ( I know I'm late to that party, but Wow.)

Your page looks awesome, mr. Svord. I made this closeup of a 1957 Barks original for you.

wdcs214closeup.jpg

Thanks guys.

tb - Thank you. That Barks original is beautiful. How large is that piece? Most of those appear to be single stroke lines. He connects lines on the bill, the eye, and the cone, but other than that... That's just amazing work.

JvR11 - I use pretty much anything I can get my hands on. The figures, for the most part, were inked with a Pentel "Pocket Brush" Calligraphy pen. You can get one in Canada and the UK, but I don't think you can get one here. I haven't been able to find a distributor in the US. It's cartridge loaded, and the ink is a slower drying semi-gloss, so I either dip it in, or fill an empty cartridge with, Speedball Super Black. ( If you want to see what that pen can do in the hands of a guy who really knows how to use it, check out this site: www.bruteprop.com [may not be safe for work - boobies] ) The backgrounds are a mix of the Hunt 107 Hawk Quill and the R. Esterbrook 999 nibs. You can't get the nib that Barks used. I think the company went out of business. Apparently the R. Esterbrook 999 is the modern equivalent. I think I got it at John Neal Booksellers.