• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Investment? AF #15 or Marvel Entertainment (MVL)

45 posts in this topic

I told a friend today that I sold my AF #15 and bought more comics. He asked why I didn't go buy stock with the proceeds. So, it brings me to my question for all of you...

If you could pick only one of the following to own, as an investment, for 10 years, which would you rather have?

Amazing Fantasy #15, CGC Universal 6.0

or

300 shares of Marvel Entertainment (ticker: MVL)

I would think the comic since the comic is like a classic car, as long as you take care of it it is on the appreciation curve , where as the stock can go up and down on many factors, as witnessed by the reaction to the recent financial report and the lawsuit threat.

Long term they are both on their way up IMO.

Yeah but MVL Is looking up now.

Long term though Cap, long term. I ten years ago, where was Marvel? :tonofbricks: AF 15, however, has steadily made gains. A little irony that the product has (in many ways) outdone the producer... hm

Was watching MVL back in 2002 when it was $5-$7, or so. Since then, great growth, reverse stock-split and big Hollywood pipeline. ;)

Instead...

Went w/ a blue-chip, PFE (Pfizer) and mostly just got boned! :mad:

* Making it my only loser in the 6yrs. hence! :flamed:

I should have checked earlier, but, if you had bought MVL in December 2000, roughly, a $10,000 investment would now be worth $330,000 :o:o

From about $1 then to $33 today.

Not sure how you would have done with AF 15, but, DAMN. I missed out.

Check the chart...

63632.gif.6e22adfa465c31725fafb30d4c09e31b.gif

I should have checked earlier, but, if you had bought MVL in December 2000, roughly, a $10,000 investment would now be worth $330,000 :o:o

Check the chart...

:o :o :o

However, I'll be curious to tack on another 10 years and see where it goes. hm I don't mean to sound so skeptical but I guess I'm not a big risk taker. My entire investment portfolio is about as exciting as a can of beets. I'm much more into the sure thing versus taking risks.

Check the chart...

Hands down Marvel Stock here. The movies coming out are very promising, and if you got in now you could probably see increases before the movies even come out. So the future for the MVL stock seems very promising to me.

AF 15 will keep going up. I dont know how much more serious growth we will see long term, the book keeps going up. But there are plenty to go around if you have some coin. And what happens when the demand is met ? Where do prices go rom there ? Will they level out, or drop hmmm.

Check the chart...

Actually, it was even better than that in late 2001. I came close to pulling the trigger at $0.50 or $0.75 per share when it looked certain that they would not go under - instead, I bought more comics. :frustrated:

Hands down Marvel Stock here. The movies coming out are very promising, and if you got in now you could probably see increases before the movies even come out. So the future for the MVL stock seems very promising to me.

AF 15 will keep going up. I dont know how much more serious growth we will see long term, the book keeps going up. But there are plenty to go around if you have some coin. And what happens when the demand is met ? Where do prices go rom there ? Will they level out, or drop hmmm.

I own enough MVL shares to buy an AF15 CGC 9.4, so you know where I stand. :headbang:

I see two problems with the comparison -

One was sort of already mentioned -

Look at it this way - a Shelby 500 GT, or the equal amount of ford stocks..

Ford is in the DUMPS now.. But a 500 GT is a 300k Car... with stock, you have to deal with ALL of the company... including the failures.. With a 500 GT, you can pretty much be forever sure the supply and demand will keep the car going up!!

Second, its harder to emotionally separate yourself from something like a nice AF15 - If you get so attached you NEVER want to see it, then what is it really worth as an investment? Its easy to sell faceless stocks :)

However, I'll be curious to tack on another 10 years and see where it goes. hm I don't mean to sound so skeptical but I guess I'm not a big risk taker. My entire investment portfolio is about as exciting as a can of beets. I'm much more into the sure thing versus taking risks.

Well Mac , Warren Buffett's portfolio is as about exiting as a can of beets , as well ! , but he's also the richest man in the US , and the most successful stock investor of all time .

I know what he would do . He would look for the bargain and/ or something that's undervalued . How would he determine this ? With these , prob. neither b/c both have had such a huge run up in the past several years. But , if he must , he would take the more conservative , and maybe crazy , but the AF #15 would be more conservative , mainly due to the fact that the run up on Marvell's stock is in large part due to the anticipation , and really "expectation" that these movies will all do pretty well.

Well , you have a stinker or two , what's that gonna do to the stock ?

What could neg. effect the AF #15 ?? ...I don't see much .........

I think what I was trying to get at is that the market for AF15 is already established...

No matter what, they arent making more AF15s, and really, even if they tanked the spiderman books / movies, there would still be huge demand -

Marvel on the other hand, still has time to maybe make really bad decisions that could ruin the company - - So its more of a risk

I know what he would do . He would look for the bargain and/ or something that's undervalued . How would he determine this ? With these , prob. neither b/c both have had such a huge run up in the past several years. But , if he must , he would take the more conservative , and maybe crazy , but the AF #15 would be more conservative , mainly due to the fact that the run up on Marvell's stock is in large part due to the anticipation , and really "expectation" that these movies will all do pretty well.

Well , you have a stinker or two , what's that gonna do to the stock ?

What could neg. effect the AF #15 ?? ...I don't see much .........

How much anticipation is already built into the stock price? 2 blockbusters over the next two years? Or, a bet on Ant Man making it big?

Yes, there has been a run-up in the stock. But, the upside potential, over 10 years, looks better than the mid-grade AF 15.

Why would someone buy Marvel stock now? The value is already buoyed by high movie revenues, and I don't think any of the future ones will out-gross Iron Man.

But if Marvel screws up and releases a stinker, their stock could take a tumble.