• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 300 McFarlane ORIGINAL ART

14 posts in this topic

Original arts are awesome but overpriced more than a Hulk 181. The current price of this auction is worth a CGC 9.4 on a 181. Another page is worth a 9.6 Hulk 181. And a splash page on this issue may be worth as a CGC 181 9.8. Now I'm just wondering if original arts are more overpriced than high grade books. IMHO if it would occur that a comic crash would happen, original art collectors would be hurt the most.

. IMHO if it would occur that a comic crash would happen, original art collectors would be hurt the most.

I have to disagree w/ this statement. At least, in my case, when I buy a piece, I don't buy it thinking of it's "flip value". I buy it, because I love to have part of the creative process of the book.

As much as I'd like to say I do the same with my comics, I cannot. While I rarely sell, I usually try to buy the nicest copy I can find (as if I ever did sell, I'd have a better chance of re-couping my costs or even making a buck).

Art is different. Even if the market crashed, it wouldn't bother me b/c I have no intention of selling.

Chris

Well, that is an entirely different ballgame. I'm nowhere near the realm of that kind of spending. The pages of art I have bought (I believe I have 10), I've picked up for as little as $45, to as much as $450.

I agree, covers and splashes are probably two rungs higher on the ladder (I doubt's I'd ever buy a cover b/c they are too expensive. And I rather like having a page important to the story). The in-between being pages by the "big boys": Kirby, Lee, McFarlane, etc....

sign-offtopic.gif Something I just said, got me thinking....Has anybody ever bought a page, not b/c of the artwork, but for the content of the story, or to have a piece that a particular writer worked on. For me, I'd love to buy a page from "V for Vendetta", not just b/c I love David Lloyd's stunning art, but also b/c it's an Alan Moore work.

I've found myself doing this when I look for 100 Bullets pages. I try and find pages that contain Agent Graves and the briefcase, along with the character that will be receiving the briefcase. I've been able to pick up pages that are crucial to the story, and contain great dialogue (as well as art).

Chris

sign-offtopic.gif Something I just said, got me thinking....Has anybody ever bought a page, not b/c of the artwork, but for the content of the story, or to have a piece that a particular writer worked on. For me, I'd love to buy a page from "V for Vendetta", not just b/c I love David Lloyd's stunning art, but also b/c it's an Alan Moore work.

I've found myself doing this when I look for 100 Bullets pages. I try and find pages that contain Agent Graves and the briefcase, along with the character that will be receiving the briefcase. I've been able to pick up pages that are crucial to the story, and contain great dialogue (as well as art).

Chris

I bought the page to JLA 69 where Batmans MachinE is trying to convince Jason Blood (?) to Join the JLA. Blood is sonsidering while at the same time stopping evil sould from escaping hell. HE stop one soul and says" Back you go mr McVeigh" Pure gold. When I saw the art was for sale I had to get it...

Original arts are awesome but overpriced more than a Hulk 181. The current price of this auction is worth a CGC 9.4 on a 181. Another page is worth a 9.6 Hulk 181. And a splash page on this issue may be worth as a CGC 181 9.8. Now I'm just wondering if original arts are more overpriced than high grade books. IMHO if it would occur that a comic crash would happen, original art collectors would be hurt the most.

Strongly disagree. Original art is unique. Each piece is one-of-a-kind. You'll never need to check a census to see if you have the best existing copy of a page of original art. I would also argue that original art has value beyond the core comic book collecting/dealing/investing community, in the realm of 'fine art.' This phenomenon may be limited to 'classic' pieces of original art, but there are more of those every year.

I don't think a collapse in the comic book back issue market would translate to a crash in original art prices.