• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firelake Collection (RE: Distributor Ink...)

121 posts in this topic

Just called for the graders note to ensure my memory was not failing...

Thankfully the memory is still intact. :grin:

Nothing in the notes except the distro ink and "small noncolorbreaking dents."

I asked if there could be other flaws not listed, and the gentleman commented that there could be, but the notes typically contain the primary reasons why the grade is what it is.

Given that the ink was listed, I have to presume it was factored into the grade.

Steve CGC does not list all the defects in their notes. Only the most prominent ones. That means you could have defects on the book that were not noted or necessary to note. The notes are primarily to pass from one grader to another so that they are all on the same page...not primarily for the owner of the slab. That is secondary and therefore not always complete.

Like others said...that staining (reddish) at the bottom of the book would keep it in VF range.

R.

I'm confused here. Why would someone THINK Brulato would pay prices well over guide for raw Firelake books? To press, dry clean, slab, and re-sell them, of course. Are these activities and business model still a surprise to some?

Nik, RE Dist Ink.

I haven't really comprehended the entire thread but I think the same rule applies that we are used to seeing with CGC. Certain grades allow certain defects of certain sizes. Certain defects are not allowed in higher grades.

Examples.

1) Greggy nutsac creases (those horizontal printing creases) are allowe in grades up to 9.8.

2) miswraps have certain cut offs depending on how bad. I've mentioned this many times...there is a chart in the Grading Guide on what size (And how many) defects are allowed in each grade as a rule of thumb. The size of a miswrap can determine whether the book is 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8/9.8.

3) Missing staples. Cutoff is either 9.4 or 9.6...not sure but I know it's not allowed in 9.8

4) I know above 9.6 a book has to have all four corner razor sharp. I have had otherwise 9.8/9.9 books come back 9.6 because of one *micro* piece missing from the corner. A very common printing defect.

This brings me to dist ink. The size and severity of the ink will affect the grade. I'm not sure if it is allowed in 9.8 or not. I'm leaning towards no.

Has anyone ever seen dist ink on a 9.8? I don't remember.

R.

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

That Jim saved a lot of scans and wanted to show them off?

:roflmao:

Regarding dist. spray, I liken it to date stamps or writing. I dont care what grade a dealer, or CGC gives the book with a stamp or writing. If I dont like it's placement or size I wont disagree with the grade as much as I just wont buy the book.

It seems to be more of a preference thing then it does a tangible flaw everyone dedects for equally. Then again, we sometimes cant agree of whether or not a corner crease or a spine stick is worse because we all view them differently based on personal preference regardless of what we may accept as a grading standard.

Iron Man #10 9.8

A 9.8 with distributor ink. So it does happen. I guess then the amount of ink spray determines the grade.

(thumbs u

Iron Man #10 9.8

A 9.8 with distributor ink. So it does happen. I guess then the amount of ink spray determines the grade.

(thumbs u

I'd be more concerned with the fading the ink caused on the top edge front cover...

Jim