• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Want Fries With That?

1,987 posts in this topic

Plus, anyone that says they haven't or wouldn't flip a comic in the right set of circumstances is delusional. Yes, that means you, JC.

Why not take your own advice?

Opinions are like b-holes.

You got that right, as I've never flipped a book in my life. Sold a few, gave away a few, traded a few, and never worried a bit about the money. But in "your world" such behavior is "delusional" right? lol

Seriously, im kinda taking this to heart.

That's a good sign. (thumbs u

And no one is saying you can't flip books, but I like to think there should be limits on such behavior. Stuff like buying a book, then immediately listing it for double price, pre-selling a purchase before it's even in-hand, lowballing or lying with the intention of a better resale profit, or any number of grey-area tactics.

But that doesn't mean you can't make a profit at comics, I'm just not sure the "money-hungry" attitude goes over very well in a close-knit forum environment.

The only grey area tactic would be to say its for your own "personal collection," and then flipping it.

Your othe rgrey areas are perfectly ok with me as long as I got my money from the buyer. I could care less what they do after the fact, quite honestly.

2c

That's a good sign. (thumbs u

And no one is saying you can't flip books, but I like to think there should be limits on such behavior. Stuff like buying a book, then immediately listing it for double price, pre-selling a purchase before it's even in-hand, lowballing or lying with the intention of a better resale profit, or any number of grey-area tactics.

But that doesn't mean you can't make a profit at comics, I'm just not sure the "money-hungry" attitude goes over very well in a close-knit forum environment.

That last part is how I view this forum. I consider a few people here friends. And definately try and meet as many board members as I can. I just like talking about comics. I really dont know many people who do collect, so this is the one place I can come to discuss and learn. Otherwise im stuck talking about music, cars, tattoos , and work all the time. My friends really just dont collect comics.

I suppose I'll chime in here although I try to avoid serious discussions. I'm well aware that a lot of the books I sell on these boards get flipped, although we're mostly talking low dollars here...bought from me for 6.00 sold elsewhere for 8 or 10. When ther buyer is a known high-volume dealer, it's prettty obvious what his intentions are. I've seen my books on ebay at a much higher asking price and sometimes a much higher grade. I've seen my books resold on these boards, almost always at very similar prices than they were bought for however.

My verdict......I really don't mind. It's no longer my book and the new owner can do what he wants with it. I'd certainly prefer it not be immediately flipped for more money right in front of me on these boards. That's a bit rude. But that's never happened. And I'd prefer not to be low-balled so you can immediately flip......

Be respectful about it, don't flaunt it, a little discretion doesn't hurt. It's a part of the hobby and these boards. I'm cool with it. I regularly buy on ebay and flip on these boards. It's not always my intention, usually I get the Ebay books and decide I don't want them or I upgrade pretty quickly and sell them here. I have, more than once, seen something on Ebay and said to myself "I know I can get $XX for that on the boards so I'll bid $XX and see if I win". Yep, done that several times.

That's all.

Agreed.

Dsicretion, common courtesy and a little bit of class goes a long way.

But the main point of that example was not to name-call, but that I worry as more of these dealer hijinks and flipping invades the Forum-Only Marketplace, that there will be a growing hesitation to "offer a deal" to fellow forum members, because of the "wolves" just waiting to pounce.

Like it did in the HD forums, this type of :censored: behavior tends to put a damper on forum dealings.

I see... maybe then we could create a

"Only Buy If You Really Want/Need it for Your Collection Opportunity "Goodwill" Thread"

in which all buyers agree/pledge to a few terms to be allowed to participate.

Terms may include:

•Minimum length of ownership, and if the item truly "needs" to be sold for an unforeseen financial reason or legitimate collecting shift, the item MUST be at least "offered for sale" within the same thread "at the same price" or you're outed as a "opportunistic ninny" and never allowed to buy again, etc.

•If for some unlikely reason the item really skyrockets in value and the owner truly wants to use that new momentum to acquire something higher up on his grail thread, he has to agree to "offer it within the thread first" and donate 50% of the profit to Actor... or you're outed as a "opportunistic ninny" and never allowed to buy again, etc.

•Anyone "caught" violating (any other terms I have not thought of yet that apply)... is outed as a "opportunistic ninny" and never allowed to buy again, etc.

Sounds like it could work. Even if it only helped a percentage of those that really could benefit from it... it would be far more effective than nothing. Any would subsequently identify "opportunistic ninnys" in the process.

Also... a small group of elected "Overseeres of the Cause" could also be formed and vote to "veto a purchase" if there is cause to do so.

hm(shrug)

:foryou:

Again... my comments were really targeted at individuals that troll the marketplace and take away deals from fellow collectors who **should** be seen as friends. This is not something I would do and I'd rather work harder and come up with other ways to get money than take away deals from my friends simply to line my own pockets. That's just me.

If you can find cheap comics elsewhere and sell them for a profit, all the more power to you. (thumbs u I wish I had the time to fund my collecting by scouring ebay and garage sales, etc. :frustrated:

But the main point of that example was not to name-call, but that I worry as more of these dealer hijinks and flipping invades the Forum-Only Marketplace, that there will be a growing hesitation to "offer a deal" to fellow forum members, because of the "wolves" just waiting to pounce.

Like it did in the HD forums, this type of :censored: behavior tends to put a damper on forum dealings.

I see... maybe then we could create a

"Only Buy If You Really Want/Need it for Your Collection Opportunity "Goodwill" Thread"

in which all buyers agree/pledge to a few terms to be allowed to participate.

Terms may include:

•Minimum length of ownership, and if the item truly "needs" to be sold for an unforeseen financial reason or legitimate collecting shift, the item MUST be at least "offered for sale" within the same thread "at the same price" or you're outed as a "opportunistic ninny" and never allowed to buy again, etc.

•If for some unlikely reason the item really skyrockets in value and the owner truly wants to use that new momentum to acquire something higher up on his grail thread, he has to agree "offer it within the thread first" and donate 50% of the profit to Actor... or you're outed as a "opportunistic ninny" and never allowed to buy again, etc.

•Anyone "caught" violating (any other terms I have not thought of yet that apply)... is outed as a "opportunistic ninny" and never allowed to buy again, etc.

Sounds like it could work. Even if it only helped a percentage of those that really could benefit from it... it would be far more effective than nothing. Any would be subsequently identified "opportunistic ninnys" in the process.

Also... a small group of elected "Overseeres of the Cause" could also be formed and vote to "veto a purchase" if there is cause to do so.

hm(shrug)

hm

This might actually work

Plus, anyone that says they haven't or wouldn't flip a comic in the right set of circumstances is delusional. Yes, that means you, JC.

Why not take your own advice?

Opinions are like b-holes.

You got that right, as I've never flipped a book in my life. Sold a few, gave away a few, traded a few, and never worried a bit about the money. But in "your world" such behavior is "delusional" right? lol

6.0 copy of Action 252. You find it at a flea market. Guy wants 10 bucks for it. You're not going to buy it? Of course you are. You don't like stinky DC silver so you're going to move it. Of course you are. And for a tasty profit. And you will buy sweet copies of Daredevil 93 and 94 with the bread. That is a flip and you would do it. Keep your broad brush handy, you'll need it to paint over that.

But no... some buttocks would rather completely mischaracterize what I plainly stated and paint me as some lunatic would doesn't think anyone should ever buy low and sell for a profit.

Don't be silly, no one thinks you are some lunatic would doesn't think anyone should ever buy low and sell for a profit.

We just think you are a lunatic. :baiting:

But no... some buttocks would rather completely mischaracterize what I plainly stated and paint me as some lunatic would doesn't think anyone should ever buy low and sell for a profit.

Don't be silly, no one thinks you are some lunatic would doesn't think anyone should ever buy low and sell for a profit.

lol Ever so elegant.

Kind off like the old saying, Don't go away mad, just go away

This might actually work

I agree... it just needs to be fine tuned a little.

I think you would be the perfect guy to initiate it based on your rep and track record selling under market.

If you do, I'll post several decent raw books and donate the "under market" sale price to Actor.

:signfunny:

I can accept that.

My turn. I'll be brief.

1) KingOfRulers is a very dear friend of mine. He is a good man. An honest man. A man who loves comic books & this hobby. His hobby. Our hobby. As such, I proudly stand by him in the face of these attacks.

2) These attacks are, in my opinion, unfiltered b u l l s h i t.

3) I'm going to go enjoy my comic book hobby now.

4) In the meantime, spoon off to all of you spoon holes spooning with KOR. Maladjusted, pseudo-communistic nitwits.

6.0 copy of Action 252. You find it at a flea market. Guy wants 10 bucks for it. You're not going to buy it? Of course you are. You don't like stinky DC silver so you're going to move it. Of course you are. And for a tasty profit. And you will buy sweet copies of Daredevil 93 and 94 with the bread. That is a flip and you would do it.

Nope, and it would turn out a lot different than you imagine. I'd likely just keep the Action 252 in my collection with the rest of my "stinky SA" (I have boxes of it you know) and just use my available cash to buy DD 93 and 94, as it's not money holding me back, but availability.

You want to know a good example? I bought some books off a very nice forum member, who out of the sheer goodness of his heart, had a very short 50% off sale (on some very well-priced books). I ended up snagging a mid-grade GL/GA 76 for $19.

What did I end up doing?

Reading it from cover to cover, then putting it away in my collection. I appreciate the gesture and would never sully it by being a jerk.

My turn. I'll be brief.

1) KingOfRulers is a very dear friend of mine. He is a good man. An honest man. A man who loves comic books & this hobby. His hobby. Our hobby. As such, I proudly stand by him in the face of these attacks.

4) In the meantime, spoon off to all of you spoon holes spooning with KOR. Maladjusted, pseudo-communistic nitwits.

Yes, but what about the accusation that he is "scruffy-looking"? hm

My turn. I'll be brief.

Zing, you're on a roll today lol

6.0 copy of Action 252. You find it at a flea market. Guy wants 10 bucks for it. You're not going to buy it? Of course you are. You don't like stinky DC silver so you're going to move it. Of course you are. And for a tasty profit. And you will buy sweet copies of Daredevil 93 and 94 with the bread. That is a flip and you would do it.

Nope, and it would turn out a lot different than you imagine. I'd likely just keep the Action 252 in my collection with the rest of my "stinky SA" (I have boxes of it you know) and just use my available cash to buy DD 93 and 94, as it's not money holding me back, but availability.

You want to know a good example? I bought some books off a very nice forum member, who out of the sheer goodness of his heart, had a very short 50% off sale (on some very well-priced books). I ended up snagging a mid-grade GL/GA 76 for $19.

What did I end up doing?

Reading it from cover to cover, then putting it away in my collection. I appreciate the gesture and would never sully it by being a jerk.

I was typing one of my responses when you said this. So rather than getting in a pizzing contest I will say:

"And no one is saying you can't flip books, but I like to think there should be limits on such behavior. Stuff like buying a book, then immediately listing it for double price, pre-selling a purchase before it's even in-hand, lowballing or lying with the intention of a better resale profit, or any number of grey-area tactics.

But that doesn't mean you can't make a profit at comics, I'm just not sure the "money-hungry" attitude goes over very well in a close-knit forum environment."

I AGREE!

My turn. I'll be brief.

It is true. I'm not going to start denying spoon like that.