• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is a low-grade X-men 1 worth getting slabbed?

6 posts in this topic

I recently bought an X-men #1 for myself. Got a pretty good deal. Now my question is whether I should get it slabbed. The necessary info:

1. Don't plan on selling it. Plan on keeping it for the rest of my life.

2. It appears to be a 1.5 or 1.8. Cover attached, complete. No tape. Good color, considering the chipping, etc. (Will probably display it out of the sun once I find the proper way to display it.)

I looked up prices and it seems after shipping costs, it is a pretty expensive process to get it slabbed. Any comments/advice would be helpful.

P.S. I've never sent anything into CGC before, but I have looked into all the pricing and so forth. Seemed to me it'd be $49 + 25 shipping, or $74 bucks in total. Could get 10% off through a store and make it actually cost about $69, since the 10% off wouldn't apply to the shipping cost.

Don't plan on selling it. Plan on keeping it for the rest of my life.

Then don't waste the $50 to get it slabbed.

Quote:
Don't plan on selling it. Plan on keeping it for the rest of my life.

Then don't waste the $50 to get it slabbed.

Okay. That is the type of answer I was looking for. On a general level, then, CGC is only worth it for the increase in re-sell value? I suppose that's a weird question. What does "worth it" mean if it is being kept by the owner himself.So, I guess, the question is: If I were to want to re-sell it, at what point would slabbing become worth it, for a X-men #1?

Subtract the cost of the book with the cost, cost to slab the book and sell it from the average sale to figure your estimated total profit. Then simply compare that estimated profit to what you might get if you sold it raw. The real gamble is whether or not the slab will pay off in the long run. If it's for your long-term collection, I wouldn't bother. Personally... I'd say bring it to Matt Nelson's booth if you are a convention, and make use of their scan service. That, or pay $30+ (I think that's the figure) for a restoration check from Susan Cicconi's organization (brain fart right now) for a clean bill of health in the event you should choose to sell down the road.