• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My most harrowing day at the Post Office mailing a comic ever!

87 posts in this topic

[quote name=comicwizThere are other links which have been introduced through research - some of them include wireless frequences (WiFi), radio waves, microwaves (electrosmog) - all known to pose a threat to developing immune systems by the mere fact that the frequences or fields are recognized as a foreign threat to an otherwise healthy body. I also remember reading a very interesting post online that linked things like neglect, trauma at a very early age, and exposure to medical procedures or surgeries at an early age. While I'm open to suggestions which can be linked to causing immune dysfunction, I think the challenge to uncovering a direct link is related to the factor of accumulated exposure to environmental influences (ie. things like smog, things in our food and drinking water that have no right being there, technological advancements (WiMax, cellphones) - this factor and the rate of adoption of these technologies makes it difficult for us to be objective about the changes happening around us, or to look more closely at whether they might be causing people harm.

I surrender all this opinion to one truth, my faith, and the hope that all children are loved by their families. [/quote] that sounds scary considering all the parents who let thier kids use cellphones and wireless internet. look at all the schools that are hooked up to wi-fi now . scary indeed!

Originally Posted By: pirate
As a parent with an autistic child, we do our best.

Same here. Some days it's like trying to control the weather.

I know an autistic woman who's got one out of three kids of her own. At least she is higher functioning than that kid (he acts out a lot), but God help her.I rather liked Wired's article on autism.

My brother has low functioning autism. We don't know how he developed it. He seemed like any normal little boy until he turned 3. That's when the first signs of autism occured. He's 36, but he is like a little child. He can be extremely lovable, but also exasperating(which is true of all children I suppose)

My parents really believe that it was a vaccination that caused the disorder. One thing I can say is that, even today, he reacts badly to any vaccinations. Last year he developed a very serious pneumonia after receiving the flu shot. This year he's not getting it(even though the doctors say there might not have been a connection). I try to help as much as I can; I still live at home so I can help them. He's never been institutionalized a day in his life and, God willing, never will be.

My parents really believe that it was a vaccination that caused the disorder.

I hear that a lot, and it is easier to blame some ethereal vaccination, but it doesn't explain why autism still occurs in unvaccinated children. Autism rates for countries like Nigeria are higher than Canada, and more cases go unreported there.

Originally Posted By: Doiby_Dickles
My parents really believe that it was a vaccination that caused the disorder.

I hear that a lot, and it is easier to blame some ethereal vaccination, but it doesn't explain why autism still occurs in unvaccinated children. Autism rates for countries like Nigeria are higher than Canada, and more cases go unreported there.

I don't have an answer for that but I will say that I refused vaccination for all my kids. My oldest got her first shot at month 2 or 3 (or whatever it was) while I was researching the subject...and then decided i'd rather not hand the child a loaded revolver.Dump living viruses into a child's blood stream before they can even see straight? Chicken pox vaccinations? :screwy:No thanks. They're relatively healthy (thank god) and all are enrichment students at the ages of 7-13. Well, the 13 year old is actually a B+ student because she's too smart for her own good. lol I know very little about autism but what i do know is that every type of person is looking for the same thing. Human touch and interaction. To the parents with autistic children...and I don't want to come across as insensitive, but I have little experience with it...do you find that as time progresses you seem to understand your children better? Is it possible to get "ahead of the curve"?R.

The problem is Roy, that if everyone did that, we'd be looking at going back to the early 1900's and having infant mortality rates spike.

My grandmother lost a brother and sister to smallpox and she tells us constantly how lucky we are not to live in constant fear for your children, or in her case, siblings.

The problem is Roy, that if everyone did that, we'd be looking at going back to the early 1900's and having infant mortality rates spike.

My grandmother lost a brother and sister to smallpox and she tells us constantly how lucky we are not to live in constant fear for your children, or in her case, siblings.

I understand, and this brings up the philosophical arguement of science vs. fate. I guess I'm a bit of a fatalist in that regards. The thought of someone dying early is much more appealing to me than someone living a long life with a large handicap. People don't live forever so I'd rather have quality of life over quantity of life...but that's just me. :foryou: R.

Originally Posted By: joe_collector
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header"> Originally Posted By: Doiby_Dickles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My parents really believe that it was a vaccination that caused the disorder. </div></div><br /><br />I hear that a lot, and it is easier to blame some ethereal vaccination, but it doesn't explain why autism still occurs in unvaccinated children. Autism rates for countries like Nigeria are higher than Canada, and more cases go unreported there.

I don't have an answer for that but I will say that I refused vaccination for all my kids. My oldest got her first shot at month 2 or 3 (or whatever it was) while I was researching the subject...and then decided i'd rather not hand the child a loaded revolver.

Dump living viruses into a child's blood stream before they can even see straight? Chicken pox vaccinations?

screwy.gif

No thanks.

They're relatively healthy (thank god) and all are enrichment students at the ages of 7-13. Well, the 13 year old is actually a B+ student because she's too smart for her own good.

lol

I know very little about autism but what i do know is that every type of person is looking for the same thing. Human touch and interaction.

To the parents with autistic children...and I don't want to come across as insensitive, but I have little experience with it...do you find that as time progresses you seem to understand your children better? Is it possible to get "ahead of the curve"?

R.

Roy,My son has low level autism (high function) and a normal task that my 9 year old daughter will pick up in minutes takes my son hours of constant repetition. Some things stick, others do not. It is exasperating at time but he has always been treated as everyone else. Certain concessions are made but aside from that we treat both kids the same.As for understanding over time that generally happens, but it is a curve you never get ahead of. We have spent our summers attending Social bridges classes, he is in an IEP at school and I cannot tell you how many meetings we have attended with CARD and the schools administration. Our hit rate for getting the programs he needs is about 80% but a half hour meeting with the school requires WEEKS of preparation and research. Many of them my wife leaves crying. As a father you are helpless about certain things but you learn what you can control and what you cannot. You do learn where to direct your energy and choose the battles you know you have a CHANCE of winning. On the flip side my son (when he chooses) can recite 15-20 pages of a story he liked word for word but cannot at time tell you what 7 + 7 is. As an athelete he excells at sports like gymnastics and swimming (he is going to be 12 and already can beat me lap for lap) but when it comes to certain hand to eye tasks he just cannot do it.One thing I can say in his case is he is getting better as he gets older. Most of it is due to the tutoring and work my wife invests into him (and he does appreciate it) but it's not easy. Especially when they come to the age of realization that they are "different" than everyone else.

The thought of someone dying early is much more appealing to me than someone living a long life with a large handicap. People don't live forever so I'd rather have quality of life over quantity of life...but that's just me.

But Roy, autism is not proven to be caused by inoculations, and many unvaccinated kids still get it, but smallpox is proven to kill young children. How many kids ever died from smallpox who never got the disease? doh!

I'll tell you one thing, I know of senior citizens who have lost kids or siblings to virulent childhood diseases, and who also have autistic family members, and I have yet to see any of them break down crying when describing the latter. They came from hard times, and appreciate life, any life, is far better than death.

If you listened to my grandmother talk about growing up without her brother and sister, trying to keep their memory alive, you'd be lining up at the doctor's office to get a shot. :sorry:

The problem is, like with most things in life... much that once was is lost, for few now live who remember it.

Vince, I was not responding to needles causing autism...I was just speaking my mind about needles in general...and I feel they do just as much harm as they do good. Still it's a very complicated subject to dissect...suffice to say that I prefer natural progress to artificial progress as far as human health goes.

As far as life and death? I pretty much grew up with my grandparents (paternal) and my grandmother passed away last year at the age of 96. She spun some fantastic stories...from leaving Yugoslavia on foot overnight through the mountains with 6 children in her arms (My dad being the oldest was working in Austria to make a home for them at the age of 18 and my grandfather took a train), to losing her sister to a Bull attacking her, to having the communists take all their worldly possessions. I've heard and learned some fantastic lessons. I'm not trying to diminish anyones appreciation of life. I am a firm believer in more to come than this life has to offer so I am ready to go. I mean we're all going to go at some point...but we spend a lifetime trying to deny that fact. If there is more then why would I prolong this life longer than it has to be?

Do I sound crazy?

R.

I don't think autism is on the rise. I think the new 'standards' of determining autism have changed. I also think that there are many cases of kids being labeled as autistic when they are not. My sister-in-laws son was determined to be autistic and acts like a normal 4 year old. She gets money from the state for schooling and child care yet she is a housewife. I think her mental state is far worse than the child. My sister also has a child that is autistic . He acts like a normal 5 year old, except when he is with her. She has no control over him as well as her other child for that matter. One doctor told her she was a bad mother after working with the boy. So she found a doctor to agreed with her in the end. These two cases are family and I see these kids quite a bit. I feel it is more the fault of the parents than the kids with quite a few cases.

Yes, I know I will take heat for this and I know there are autistic kids, but I also feel its starting to become a label for lack of parenting in some cases. This is sad as it hurts the kids who truly have autism.

I don't think autism is on the rise. I think the new 'standards' of determining autism have changed. I also think that there are many cases of kids being labeled as autistic when they are not. My sister-in-laws son was determined to be autistic and acts like a normal 4 year old., she gets money from the state for schooling and child care and she is a housewife. I think her mental state is far worse than the child. My sister also has a child that is autistic . He acts like a normal 5 year old, except when he is with her, she has no control over him and her other kid for that matter. One doctor told her she is a bad mom after working with the boy, but she found a doctor to agreed with her in the end. These two cases are family and I see these kids quite a bit. I feel its more at fault of the parents than the kids with quite a few cases.

Yes, I know I will take heat for this and I know there are autistic kids, but I also feel its starting to become a label for lack of parenting in some cases. This is sad as it hurts the kids who truly have autism.

Brian even though your grammar is atrocious that post is very relevant! :baiting: There is a difference between a true medical condition or a disability and a poorly raised child but there are times when these get blurred. Bad parenting opens doors to all kinds of woe for children...including drug prescriptions and mis-diagnosis.I will say it again...human touch and positive interaction is vital for normal growth. Negative interaction is important too...for social skills...but obviously you need a balance with the positive being the main contributor in a child's development. It makes seemingly "normal" adults become confident and better functioning adults...imagine what it does for developing children when that is all they really need...it's almost as important as food, air and water in my opinion. Especially in this day and age.R.

Waiting for UNDERDOG to weigh in with his stories. I know he has a bunch...he is a postal window clerk...hehe.

I was going to, but this turned into a serious thread that really isn't Postal related, so I butted out.

Originally Posted By: moonlite
Waiting for UNDERDOG to weigh in with his stories. I know he has a bunch...he is a postal window clerk...hehe.

I was going to, but this turned into a serious thread that really isn't Postal related, so I butted out.

Bring some fun back in :angel:

Funny how I think I had 8 shots as a kid (i'm 38) and nowadays there are like 25 you need. I tend to be pretty healthy with the few I had.

Vince, I was not responding to needles causing autism...I was just speaking my mind about needles in general...and I feel they do just as much harm as they do good. Still it's a very complicated subject to dissect...suffice to say that I prefer natural progress to artificial progress as far as human health goes.

As far as life and death? I pretty much grew up with my grandparents (paternal) and my grandmother passed away last year at the age of 96. She spun some fantastic stories...from leaving Yugoslavia on foot overnight through the mountains with 6 children in her arms (My dad being the oldest was working in Austria to make a home for them at the age of 18 and my grandfather took a train), to losing her sister to a Bull attacking her, to having the communists take all their worldly possessions. I've heard and learned some fantastic lessons. I'm not trying to diminish anyones appreciation of life. I am a firm believer in more to come than this life has to offer so I am ready to go. I mean we're all going to go at some point...but we spend a lifetime trying to deny that fact. If there is more then why would I prolong this life longer than it has to be?

Do I sound crazy?

R.

Out of curiosity, do you drink only unpasteurized milk and defluorinated water? (serious question to what I view as a crazy stance)