• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Harvey Pekar SS a possibility?

24 posts in this topic

I have a very sharp copy of American Splendor that I would love to get SS'd. Does anyone know if HP does any public appearances? I know he used to live in the Cleveland, Ohio area, but have no idea now. Any help or information would be appreciated.

--Sean.

This isn't at all an answer to your question, but in the mid/late '80s Pekar used to come up to the Chicago Comicon every summer. I always used to enjoy talking to him and getting signed copies of American Splendor :)

Doesn't Crumb now live in France? And I'm sure he doesn't make many (if any) appearances outside of possibly art galleries featuring his original art. I'm no expert on Crumb outside of what I learned in the Crumb documentary and rumor-mongering on the net, so I could be completely wrong...

Either way, obtaining a Crumb SS would be nigh improbable I would think...

You're right, he does live in France. However, he was just in Minnesota for a family reunion and generally makes about one trip per year to the U.S.

I'll see what I can do. hm

lol don't hold your breath!

In 2005, Crumb appeared "in conversation" with Robert Hughes at the New York Public Library. It was a ticketed event ($10, general admission) and at the end, just before he left, he made it adamantly clear that he wasn't going to sign anything. (If memory serves me right, his exact words were: "I ain't signin' nothin'!" :( )

An account of the evening, including a photo of Crumb at the event, can be found here.

I remember Harvey Pekar being at the Chicago Comicon in the late 1980's. If I were at home I could dig out my old programs and tell you the exact year. He had his own table piled with copies of American Splendor.

Stupid me, I hadn't heard of him or his work at the time, so I didn't approach him. Yep, I sure am kicking myself now.

I have one. I am not sure if anybody else got one. I will not sell it don't even ask.

I had an extra $10K in my fun money account, but I will respect your wishes and I won't even offer it.

well if you want to blow that kind of fun money chris make me an offer. But for anything under 1500 I will say no.

:baiting: