• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acid-Free Backing Boards

10 posts in this topic

I recently found a LCS that offers acid-free backings boards for a real cheap price. My only concern is that the boards look and feel no different than non acid-free backing boards. Is there a test or something that will allow you tell if a board is really acid-free?

What's the brand name? Ultra Pro?

Most board makers claim their boards are acid-free, and they aren't incorrect, exactly. How did they feel--smooth on one side and rougher on the other? If so, the smooth side is an antacid alkaline spray which keeps the acidity of the board away from the comic, and I THINK, neutralizes some of the acidity of the comic itself. However, the spray eventually wears off and the board is no longer acid free.

The boards Bachelorofcomix is referring to have an antacid called "calcium carbonate" mixed inside the board itself; they most often referred to as "buffered" boards. It's slightly more expensive to create them like this, but it's the way the Library of Congress recommends for supportive boards. It's a topic of some debate and almost no expert opinion as to how much longer the buffered boards last than the sprayed ones before becoming ineffective, but most people think it's a lot longer.

This LCS isn't the maker, but the distributor. The put their own label on them, advertising them as acid-free on both sides. Although as you mention one side is smooth, the other is rougher. Not that I really mind becasue they are fairly cheap even for basic backing boards. However I am disturbed by the fact that they might blatantly lie, claiming them to be acid-free.

By LCS, I assumed you mean local comic shop. They put their name on it, really? I've never thought of a small comic shop doing that.

If I were particularly curious and standing near the owner of the shop, I'd ask them why the board is smooth on one side and see how they respond. I'd follow that up with another question or two...one of which would almost certainly be "does it matter which side I put up against the comic?" If they said the smooth side, I'd then ask why...although if they're claiming both sides are acid free I would presume they'll say it doesn't matter which side you put up against the comic. But if they say the smooth side, you've identified a probable contradiction in their advice and could ask why you should put the smooth side against the comic if both sides are acid free.

On this same topic, is anyone familiar with Bags Unlimited? I recently bought some nice 2mil mylars from them, with some .028 thick acid feee boards. They aren't white and smooth on one side, feeling about the same (slightly rough) on both sides. Anyone know for sure if these are acid free? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They had pretty good prices and service by the way, if anyone's looking for a decent supplier. I would buy from them again.

On this same topic, is anyone familiar with Bags Unlimited? I recently bought some nice 2mil mylars from them, with some .028 thick acid feee boards. They aren't white and smooth on one side, feeling about the same (slightly rough) on both sides. Anyone know for sure if these are acid free? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They had pretty good prices and service by the way, if anyone's looking for a decent supplier. I would buy from them again.

I bought boards from them also, just as a test. I thought the same thing. The boards are extremely rough feeling for backing boards. Again, I wish their was some way to test to see if a board is actually acid-free or not.

Of Bags Unlimited I recommend their graded comic book bags, excellent product.

I havane't bough any mylars from them. I was thinking about it. The only thin gI've bought were the graded bags and boxes. Happy with both. On the mylars I am not sure which to get. I was leaning toward the 2mil bags.

I've heard that you can simply dip the lower edge of the board in a standard toilet bowl...and if it comes out wet, yer pregnant...!

I wouldn't futz around with this stuff - you wanna save pennies on the boards when you're spending $$$ on the books? Get the Bill Cole or Gerber boards and rest easy at night...