• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art accidents

28 posts in this topic

The "comic accidents" thread made me wonder if you guys have had "art accidents". I know I dropped a painting I had paid a decent chunk of change for right in front of the artist within five seconds of him handing it to me. At least he knows it will be cared for carefully! lol Bit of a crunched corner but not bad and didn't affect the art at all thank god.

So let's hear your klutzy stories!

Back in these early days of art collecting, I used to keep most of my original art in my drawing table. On one dreary day, I accidentally spilled a bottle of purple ink into my drawer. Well, my original art was now black, white, and purple.

The page that got damaged the most was a page from X-Men #14 that introduced the Sentinels. From what I remember, the bottom 1/3 of the page got soaked. Also damaged (although not quite as much) were the splash pages to ASM #268, Marvel Saga #1, and Elementals #2, a page from Magik #1 by Ron Frenz, and a Marvel Universe pin-up of Belasco (also by Ron Frenz).

I gave these pages away to Jim Warden years ago and haven't seen them since. I'd be interested in someone out there has any of them?

Back in these early days of art collecting, I used to keep most of my original art in my drawing table. On one dreary day, I accidentally spilled a bottle of purple ink into my drawer. Well, my original art was now black, white, and purple.

The page that got damaged the most was a page from X-Men #14 that introduced the Sentinels. From what I remember, the bottom 1/3 of the page got soaked. Also damaged (although not quite as much) were the splash pages to ASM #268, Marvel Saga #1, and Elementals #2, a page from Magik #1 by Ron Frenz, and a Marvel Universe pin-up of Belasco (also by Ron Frenz).

I gave these pages away to Jim Warden years ago and haven't seen them since. I'd be interested in someone out there has any of them?

Ouch that is a cringeworthy story Chuck!

There was one time, when my daughter was a few years old, that she was sat at my desk drawing. I was having a bath at the time.

When I'd finished bathing, I checked in on my daughter. She'd pulled a (newly-acquired) piece of artwork from off the top of a filing cabinet . . . and had added some additional characters to the page - all in pen! :sick:

This was the scene of the house fire we had in May. My Avengers 3 page was on the wall outside the door shown below. As you can see from the subsequent pages, the frame and glass was pretty blackened. It had also been sprayed with water and knocked off the wall by the firemen as they made their way through the dense smoke to the area that was on fire. The good news as you can see below is that the art inside was ok thanks to the excellent framing. It has a bit of a smoke smell to it, but otherwise it's A-ok.

Whew!!

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02933.jpg

Cool story on the kirby art...question: was it the first thing you checked for when you got to go into the house when it was secure?
Dude, its not a cool story when your house burns down!

Cool story on the kirby art...question: was it the first thing you checked for when you got to go into the house when it was secure?
Dude, its not a cool story when your house burns down!

True.

I have to tell you, it was a bizarre situation. My wife and I were out of town visiting her grandfather who was dying of kidney failure and who died the following week, to add to the whole emotional pile-on. Our pet/house sitter called us at 8 AM to tell us "the dogs are safe, but the house is on fire." She had called the FD and they got there quickly which definitely saved the house from further damage. We were lucky it didn't actually burn down. The fire was primarily contained in one room, but the heat and heavy smoke damage, water, etc trashed the whole 2nd floor. You can't imagine how the smoke from a house fire permeates and ruins EVERYTHING.

Anyway, the Avengers 3 page was the first thing you'd see when coming up the stairs. When I got up to the top, it was not there. :whatthe: Busted plaster and insulation was all over the floor, from the firemen knocking holes in the walls and ceiling to make sure the fire hadn't spread into the attic or interior walls. I was sure it had gotten trashed. Turns out it got knocked off the wall by the firemen and somebody moved it out of the way and put it in another room. Needless to say, I was relieved -- for a minute.

My bigger concern though was our iguanas (one died, one lived miraculously) and the fact that the 2nd floor looked like a bomb went off. Literally everything in the upstairs was either burned, trashed, melted, covered with gunky smoke and water, or somehow affected, except for some things in the furthest back bedroom which I used to store my comics and art (they were in a closet and STILL had smoke soot residue on them -- thank goodness for airtight portfolios, art mylars, and comic bags). So we basically lost everything upstairs -- all our clothes, bedding, furniture, electronics, computers, office equipment (my wife worked from home, she lost everything for her business), personal items, mementos, etc.

So yeah, I was relieved my art survived, but that paled in comparison to what we lost.

Anyway, we should be back in the house in 3 to 4 weeks. I'll post before and after pics when we move back in. And I'll be hosting a heckuva party when we do. Chicago forumites welcome.

--Steve