• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

Didn't he pay for Action 1-20? like 20 or 25k for #1 and another 20 or 25 for 2-20? I could be way off but remember hearing something like that.

I voted for 2-3m although I could see it going as high as 5. It don't think its pushing past that in today's market. These are real dollars somebody has to shell out and its pretty easy for us to throw out enormous estimates on a message board but someone's bank account (two people's actually, in an auction setting) have to actually have this many zeros in it.

I say $5M-$8M easy because where else are you going to find another copy of this magnitude. If it went to a true bidding war the type of buyer(s) interested would defintely shell out big dollars to acquire it. BTW did the Mile High AA#16 rumoured sale actually complete?

I say $5M-$8M easy because where else are you going to find another copy of this magnitude. If it went to a true bidding war the type of buyer(s) interested would defintely shell out big dollars to acquire it. BTW did the Mile High AA#16 rumoured sale actually complete?

I'd like to know that as well. $1M ???

Originally Posted By: dekeuk

People around here have suggested the Dentist has rejected offers of $1 and $2 million for his ACTION #1, the best copy of the most important comic in history.

Since it will probably never be sold (his son will inherit it), I figured we could speculate on what it might get in an auction.

Don't forget a billionaire non-comic collector (i.e. Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Google founders, Facebook founder, etc.) could come out of the woodwork and bid in such a scenario. Bill Gates paid $15 million years ago for Leonardo DaVinci's notebook.

unanswerable question without more info:

raw or graded?

any restoration?

technical grade?

PQ?

just being the Mile High copy is not enough to base value on a book .......my 2c

I agree. I have never seen a scan of it (I think) but I have heard here that it is about a 9.2 but that it has been restored (color touch I think). All that can and will have a dramatic effect on price. Also are there any other high grade copies out there? I am told the Larson collection has one, did the Allentown have one as well?

Stephen Fishler has seen the book and commented on it being a 9.2

Steve Borock has seen it and told me it was a 9.4

Good enough for me.

I haven't voted but I would say the book would reach between $6-10 MIL if it went for sale.

If an AF #15 can double in price in 3 months in all grades, this book has no business being *just* a $1 MIL book anymore.

Also, remember how many big time collectors have come through the hobby...Nic Cage, Chalie Sheen, Eric Roberts (not the actor)....I'm betting there would be a line up people (both comic and non comic collectors) willing to take that book at a stratospheric price. NGC makes CGC look like an amateur when it comes to $$ and volume...coins are a huge market... so it stands to reason that there are more wealthy collectors than we can possibly know about.

It is the single most important piece of comic material in the history of comics and DA has done his part in building up the mistique.

R.

< it is about a 9.2 but that it has been restored (color touch I think).

I thought color touch was NOT considered restoration as long as it was done on a Church comic. Doesn't CGC slab Church comics with color touch in an unrestored slab and then note the color touch on the label?

Originally Posted By: Mutie Fan
< it is about a 9.2 but that it has been restored (color touch I think).

I thought color touch was NOT considered restoration as long as it was done on a Church comic. Doesn't CGC slab Church comics with color touch in an unrestored slab and then note the color touch on the label?

As long as its a minor amount, a church book (or any ga book really) would get a blue label. but a church could still get a purple label for a greater amount of ct.That being said some people like to think for themselves and consider it restoration whether or not cgc puts it in a blue holder.I guess that's the magic question, is it "blue label unrestored" or just "truly unrestored". And how much differently would those two possibilities be priced.