• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1136 for a Spidey reprint ??????

15 posts in this topic

This Golden Record Reprint of ASM #1 in 8.0 went for the shocking price of $1136. :o

The 2008 average GPA on an 8.0 was $284 (2 previous 2008 sales). The highest previous price for an 8.0 was $401. The 12 month average price of a 9.2 is $619 and a 9.4 is $1700.

Has the price of these reprints skyrocketed in the last month or did these 2 bidders just get in a crazy bidding war over a lousy 8.0 ?

Obviously the seller is attempting a scam, as no where in the auction does it state it's a Golden Record Reprint. Sure, it's in *tiny* letters on the slab, but the seller is definitely hiding that fact and portraying it as a true ASM 1.

It may be possible that they might think that this book is the first print?There is no mention of it being the reprint,except of course on the slab itself.Who knows?I think I need to dust mine off if this is what they are now selling for :tonofbricks:

Would anyone spending $1000+ be so clueless as to not even bother to look at the photo which clearly shows it's a reprint?

Some people are way too trusting, and may be in a hurry or maybe the image wasn't loading when he bid? Maybe the seller changed the image?There are a million possible reasons, and I can remember setting a a snipe for a book, then (for no real reason) coming back and noticing the image had changed to a Marvel Milestone Edition. If I had *won* that, it would have seemed like I didn't do my homework when I knew it was the seller who was scamming. We need to stop blaming the buyer in cases like this.

I'm guessing the buyer thinks he's getting an actual Spidey 1.

The auction title is misleading. However, it says 4 TIMES on the slab label that it's a reprint. Stupid buyer. Misleading seller.

Stupid buyer. Misleading seller.

It also takes a "stupid" underbidder to drive the price that high.

Look at the bidding history. Three people bid more than $1000. Seven people bid more than $500. Let's face it, this is no mistake. The value of this book has suddenly skyrocketed. Imagine what the next 9.4 will bring now?

doh!doh!

Once again, we don't know the history of this auction, and taking pot-shots at the buyer is pretty lame. How would you feel if it came out that the seller switched images late in the game? I've had that happen to me, and I'm the most diligent EBay buyer going.

I saw the auction at $800 the night before and they still drove it higher to $1136 with the reprint photo clearly in sight at all times. Of course snipes go off automatically.

But had the seller posted a real ASM #1 in 8.0 the bids would have been MUCH higher.

Well a couple of people retracted bids, including one of $1200, so that makes me a little suspicious.

I remember bidding on a copy of Iron Fist 14, complete with image in VF/NM, then I'm surprised my snipe won, and I'm the unhappy owner of a MM reprint. I have no idea when he switched the image file, but this stuff happens all the time.

Obviously I didn't go through with the scam transaction, and this buyer might wise up as well.

Agreed, but I'm just a little sick at the propensity to slam the "stupid buyer" in cases like this, without hammering the seller for being such a misleading scam artist.

No way that auction is legit from an EBay point of view, as outside image links can be manipulated, replaced, etc. and only the text counts. And from that, this seller owes the buyer a CGC ASM #1.