• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do Conan #3 and Marvel Spotlight #5 deserve "scarce"......

14 posts in this topic

..label, I have them also, and those are both high grade books, maybe I should have them slabbed along with Hulk 181. I'm trying to decide on the three I can get done for "free", and thanks for the info and opinions on SS#4 for those who gave it.

This is from one of Chuck's articles...but take it with a grain of salt...

"Just so you don't think I am entirely innocent in this process, I want to tell you a short story about CONAN #3. For the past 25 years, that issue has been listed in the OFFICIAL OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE as having low print runs in some areas. Ummm, I don't think that really true. Back in the early 1970's, CONAN was our best-selling title. A peculiarity about those early days, however, was that the CONAN paperback books were all still in print, and fans really cared about which issue adapted which particular R.E.H. story. Issue #3 contains the adaptation of Grim Gray God, which was especially popular. As result, we were constantly sold out of issue #3, while issue #1 tended to stick around longer because of the higher price. To rectify this problem, all the Denver area dealers started marking #3 as "scarce," and pricing it above #1. To our amazement, this "fact" ended up in Bob Overstreet's price guide soon thereafter. To this day, I can't help but smile whenever I see that notation in the guide. "

..label, I have them also, and those are both high grade books, maybe I should have them slabbed along with Hulk 181. I'm trying to decide on the three I can get done for "free", and thanks for the info and opinions on SS#4 for those who gave it.

Neither are "scarce." Then again, not many Marvel Bronze Age books are.

Conan #3 doesn't have that designation in the Guide by the way- it's simply "low distribution in some areas."

Neither are "scarce." Then again, not many Marvel Bronze Age books are.

Conan #3 doesn't have that designation in the Guide by the way- it's simply "low distribution in some areas."

And with E-bay the term "areas" is meaningless.

that data isn't really accurate since #3 is worth nearly twice as much as #2 in guide, hence more copies of #3 submitted.

I understand your point (which is valid), but basically #3 SHOULDN"T BE WORTH more than #2 (because it isn't really scarce).

Agreed. I remember comic shops in the mid-'70s designating the book as 'scarce' or 'rare' (probably easier than writing "low distribution in some areas" on the sticker), and charging more for it. I don't think it's unrealistic to view the whole thing as a sort of urban myth. If in fact there are as many copies of Conan 3 as there are Conan 2, you'd expect that eventually the prices realized on eBay for copies in similar grade would be nearly identical. This might take some time (a few years? a decade?) as the Conan collectors out there sort out the situation...

What's sillier is that UK price guides used to carry the designation 'Scarce in the US only', but still marked the issue up at 20% more than number 2 anyway. "Well it is rare 3000 miles away, I'm not running a bleedin' charity here".

Mind you, the last UK price guide still listed Tales of Suspense 44 with 'Pharaoh mis-spelt on cover'. Generations of English comic collectors hunted high and low for that key and the squeals of orgasmic delight upon locating a copy had to be heard to be believed.

It's a great county for 16 year olds though. tongue.gif

What's sillier is that UK price guides used to carry the designation 'Scarce in the US only', but still marked the issue up at 20% more than number 2 anyway. "Well it is rare 3000 miles away, I'm not running a bleedin' charity here".

Mind you, the last UK price guide still listed Tales of Suspense 44 with 'Pharaoh mis-spelt on cover'. Generations of English comic collectors hunted high and low for that key and the squeals of orgasmic delight upon locating a copy had to be heard to be believed.

It's a great county for 16 year olds though. tongue.gif

Spotlights in very hi-grade are far from common.