• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another example of an auction I hate!

14 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2203583037&category=68

I see an overall grade in the title, and here's the COMPLETE description:

"We are currently auctioning over 200 lots and individual books! Many key Golden and Silver Age books! Click on the View Sellers other Items link above to see them! Bookmark the jscomics ebay seller list - we'll be having over 500 auctions every month from now on!

Thank you for your interest in this auction. At J&S Comics we have been selling Strictly graded comic books, cards, magazines, books, toys and related items by mail for over 25 years. We have had 2 page buying ads in the Overstreet Price Guide since 1978, and have had full page ads in Comics Buyers' Guide nearly every week since 1976. Your satisfaction is unconditionally guaranteed. Any item you purchase from us may be returned within 2 weeks for a full refund if you are not satisfied. Please check the scans below.

United States shipping - UPS - $6.00 for the first 1 to 8 books, $.10 for each additional book. Media Mail - $3.50 for the first 1 to 8 books, $.25 for every 4 books over 8. UPS orders are insured, Post Office orders are not. Media Mail takes an average of 2 weeks for delivery.

Canadian bidders - Airmail - $5.00 for the first book, $.50 each additional book up to 26 books. All orders for 26 - 48 books are $17.50, then $.50 additional over 48 books. Surface Mail - $4.75 for the first book, then $.25 for each additional book up to 26 books. All orders for 26 - 48 books are $10.00 Surface Mail, then $.25 per book over 48 books.

Other foreign bidders - Airmail - $8.00 for the first book, plus $1.00 per book for the next 19 books. Over 20 books, please email with your address for an Airmail quote. Surface Mail - $5.00 for the first book, $.50 each for the next 14 books. All orders for 15 - 48 books are $12.00 Surface Mail, then $.25 per book over 48 books.

Foreign orders are not insured. Payment for foreign orders is by money order, or Paypal if shipped to a confirmed address.

Winners of multiple auctions - email us with your zip code and the total number of books you have won and we'll give you a quote for shipping them all together. We charge just a small amount over the actual UPS charge. For example, bidders in the Northeast can get up to 100 books shipped via UPS for as little as $8.00 (more if extra insurance is required). Bidders on the West Coast would pay about $15.00 for 100 books. If you are paying by Paypal, please pay for all your auction wins in one payment rather than separately, since the Paypal fee is less on large purchases. Canadian bidders add 25 cents for each book after the first, other Foreign bidders add 50 cents for each book after the first. Any other shipping questions, please email us.

If you win the auction, there is no need to contact us if you are paying by money order or check to request shipping charges or the total amount due. Our shipping charges are outlined fully above. Simply add the appropriate shipping charges to the final bid price and mail that amount to:

J&S Comics

168 W. Sylvania Avenue

Neptune City, NJ 07753.

Our phone Number is: 732-988-5717.

Our Fax is: 732-988-5848.

Our email address is: jandscomics@aol.com

We accept all major credit cards. You may call or email with your charge information and address. Please have the item # available.

To see our many other quality items currently up for bid, please click on the "View Seller's Other Auctions" link above.

PLEASE NOTE! - We do NOT! routinely contact all auction winners at the end of the auction. The above description contains everything you need to make payment. A copy of it will be emailed to you by eBay if you win the auction. We will send a payment reminder to those bidders who have not arranged payment approximately 5 to 7 Business days after the auction ends. "

So, we sure know quite a bit on how to pay for the auction and contact the seller. But do we know any DAMN thing about the book? I.E.:

1. The page quality of the book?

2. Restoration?

3. Any interior defects (writing, detached centerfold, et al)?

I'm glad I'm not in the buyer's market at the moment!

That's a generic template and I sell considerably much less than this seller and have myself resorted to using these because it has all the info necessary to complete a sale. I write a little extra wen I want to hype up an aspect of the book but if I took the time to grade it, it should all be in there. Only difference is I would address any glaring defects such as the ones you thought of (missing centerfold, detached cover, interior writing and qualifiers...)

But in this seller's case, I think he just had someone do scans and used a generic template to facilitate the listing of these hundreds of books they are selling...

They've been selling these kinds of books via the CBG for years and years...all without pq, descriptions, etc.,. In fact, by posting pics they're actually elevating the degree of information potential buyers see before deciding to bid. I've had pretty good success buying raw from them in the past...

Yeah, they're so concerned about you knowing exactly what to pay for shipping that there's no room to describe the book! Wouldn't a long-time dealer know that collectors would need to know this stuff, especially if the book is raw?

I see your point Terry - The ebay description area space is so key in making your item sell. It's tough to proritize whether you want to promote payment details which is key in online transactions or focus on the book and flaws and grading and other details. In this society wehre we want the inportant details to come first into our field of vision, this seller made the call with pushing their proper payment plans..

Darth, I'm not an e-bay seller, so I know you'd have a better understanding of what needs to be in that space to sell than I would. I was just looking at it from strictly a buyer's perspective. I'm kind of used to not seeing great detail in descriptions from some amateur sellers out there, but I would think some of the real dealers would give a little more info for the discerning collector.

I know I try...but what you see in my auctions is "MINT" CGC 9.8 ULTIMATE SOMETHING OR OTHER, MOVIE COMING OuT in 04...GET IT NOW BEFORE THE PRICE GOES UP!!! tongue.gif

I used to point out goofy stuff to when warranted:

I had a Captain America profanity variant, an ASM "Flying Donut pedigree" with Kingpin sporting a blue ballpen rendered hairpiece, or a Medieval Witchblade/Lady Death "lesbian" variant wehre their hands were strategically placed to evoke the visual illusion that they were groping each other naughtilly...come to think of it, there is an Exiles cover that does the same thing...I'll have to dig these up and scan or maybe borrow from Chuck...

That book is overgraded, IMO. I wouldn't give that better than a G-, even with "Golden Age "leniency." And as far as the pic, it's definitely not enough. Everyone's definition of "GD" is different.

- is the cover loose?

- is the cfold loose?

- is there more writing inside the book?

etc. etc.

The way they've structured this auction, you could get the book, with all of the above 'non-visible defects,' and they could say, "hey, it's still GD+" This is no way to sell raw comics!

That book is overgraded, IMO. I wouldn't give that better than a G-, even with "Golden Age "leniency." And as far as the pic, it's definitely not enough. Everyone's definition of "GD" is different.

- is the cover loose?

- is the cfold loose?

- is there more writing inside the book?

etc. etc.

The way they've structured this auction, you could get the book, with all of the above 'non-visible defects,' and they could say, "hey, it's still GD+" This is no way to sell raw comics!

See, that's exactly my point. This isn't a $75 book, folks. It's $583.75 in the 03 guide in Good + condition. Those pages look either brittle or tanning, and I'd want to know that if I were buying the book!

Well if you liked the one on the original post, you should love this one. Even with a hi-speed connection, it takes the picture F O R E V E R to load, and there is NO description at all.. the pic isnt even close up... No wonder this thing is sitting at 4$ and has no bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2202100227&category=32744

makepoint.gif