• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Did You Buy from the Ads Inside?...

92 posts in this topic

Great idea!, actually it was of interest to me as well. Made this thread 4 years ago that got a few replies. what did you buy, and did it work?

I figured it was done before... the "Hover Craft" that might be the flying dohicky I remembered.

And regarding your parents making you wait till your birthday to open something you bought, with your OWN money. Well shame shame.

lol I didn't even care. It must have arrived a couple of days before and they figured it would have more impact. For all I know, they may have kicked in a few bucks and wanted to maximize the event. Either way, I was thrilled (except for the smell of the vacuum packed "dead" live bait ... yeesh)

And spinning kids.. :eek: then again we didnt wear seatbelts, and waited in the car while mom shopped so whats a little spinning!

That was really funny (in hindsight)... the kid was alright, but he was a super-hyper 8 year old and I wanted to get him to sleep so I could "raid the fridge" and watch some TV for a few hours. So... I spun him longest than I had by far previously until I too was dizzy and accidentally fell and sent him flying to land on his head and shoulder area. He started to cry and I quickly found something to bribe him with (can't remember). Even after agreeing NOT to tell his parent, my baby-sitting career mysteriously ended shortly thereafter.

:boo:

I wanted these. Never got em. :(

RomanSoldiers.jpg

I got it, still have 'em. They were very breakable, but then again, they part of many great battles throughout the house and yard.

Maybe they'll re-release it as a "300" Edition with Spartans too

:applause:

I hope none of you kids answered this guy's ad. :o

So that's why you're... well, off a little :insane::kidaround: sorry you had to go through that Vince. :foryou:

I'm not the one who admitted to having an "alternative lifestyle" on here. But hey, whatever floats your boat. (shrug)

I sent off for the chest with the soldiers and asked mom every day if anything came in the mail for me. When the package finally arrived I tore the package open and...well, I was a bit disappointed to find all the plastic figures were flat, like a cardboard cut out.

I can't remember the name of the company, but they advertised where you could sell (I think) greeting cards and you could earn points for prizes. I tried that too and the prizes sucked.

I hope none of you kids answered this guy's ad. :o

So that's why you're... well, off a little :insane::kidaround: sorry you had to go through that Vince. :foryou:

I'm not the one who admitted to having an "alternative lifestyle" on here. But hey, whatever floats your boat. (shrug)

Typo... (tsk)doh!

The only thing I bought out of a comic was Sea Monkeys when I was eight. They were my first "pets" They came with a plastic microscope too. :grin:

I ended up with Brine Monkeys too... I just don't remember ordering them from a comic. I know I didn't feel too cheated. They did not look like the characters in the ads, but the little buggers were alive! and that was cool enough.

The non-disclosure crowd got this...

COMICAD20inflatable_doll.jpg

Oh Lord... Life-Like in EVERY Detail.

I bet it was false advertising... right? :baiting:

Look Who's Smiling Now!!

Sea Monkeys!

sea2.jpg

Talk about false advertising. lol

They turned out to be brine shrimp. My mom fed her fish with em.

Also, notice the cleverly designed disclaimer. "Not intended to depict artermia salina"

Why don't they just say brine shrimp. doh!

Taxonomy is a prerequisite to a six yr old's comic reading?

I ordered these as well. One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Ken

I bought the "Life Size Vampire Bat" from one of those black and white ads even though my father tried to talk me out of it. In my kid-brain I was picturing something out of a vampire movie, naturally. Of course it turned out to be life size, which is to say a 6-inch wing span. That was a buck out the door but my Dad thought it was a good lesson for some reason.

Sea Monkeys!

sea2.jpg

Talk about false advertising. lol

They turned out to be brine shrimp. My mom fed her fish with em.

Also, notice the cleverly designed disclaimer. "Not intended to depict artermia salina"

Why don't they just say brine shrimp. doh!

Taxonomy is a prerequisite to a six yr old's comic reading?

I ordered these as well. One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Ken

Me too. F those "Sea Monkeys". :mad:

Anyone buy the...

Switchblade Comb.

I did, but at a flea market, perhaps ordered originally form a comic. They were cool

I also seem to remember "Shoe Lift Inserts" and "3-4inch Heel Shoes" for those of us that were a bit vertically challenged. I actually >thought about it< lol but somehow my common sense got the better of me.

I have not found the ads I'm talking about yet (as I've started to pay more attention lately). Anyone else locate these?