• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

189 DCs To Go

80 posts in this topic

Purely and simply because of the brilliant and amazing response from these message boards, and the new contacts I made, particularly the one today which resulted in me finding a staggering twenty six all at once, I'm now down to 189, once I get the issues I've confirmed over the last few days.

I can't quite believe it. I've found nearly forty missing DCs because of the contacts off this list.

Staggering !!!!!!

Thankyou.

So like a CGC version of the Bachelor?

hmmm.....do you mind if she's restored? What if her favorite color is purple? What if she *shudders* is cleaned and pressed? Are you willing to take those chances?

Can anyone help me find a good wife on here? I don't need 189 of them, one will do nicely !!! grin.gif

Timely

Hey, I ran into a cute blond at the Gym the other day, and she thought my bringing comics to the Gym to read while I was on the treadmill was cool. I think she'd be perfect for you.

Actually, I think she'd be perfect for everybody, even greggy. grin.gif

I'm glad you were too.

But as I found both Doug Sulipa and Joe Nacca as a direct result of these boards, I would actually be forty five comics worse off the final total if I hadn't posted my list up on here a couple of weeks ago, when it was initially at 279. Those forty five, added to the ones Richard from Quicksilver won for me on e-bay, make the biggest reduction to my list for ages.

Thanks everyone

189 to go.

Sorry I got my figures wrong. It was 258 when I started on here, so that means I've reduced it by 69 comics in a couple of weeks.

Any more ????

One more link, like the ones to Doug Sulipa or Joe Nacca, will make the most enormous difference now.

A question Ian....

From your previous messages I gather that you started this gargantuan task a few decades ago, so why the sudden rush to finish them this week ?

Judging from your recent posts I imagine you sitting behind your screen jumping like one of the pink Duracell bunnies with every new post. Not that I consider it a bad thing, you've injected the boards with some fresh enthusiasm and we all feel like part of a great event (the first ever complete DC run ??)

But why the rush, is it the sight of the finish line that's getting nearer? And have you considered what you'll do once you get all of them ?? I mean what's a man to do once he reaches the summit of Everest (besides counting his toes and having a whiz....)

It's now very much a case of the finish line getting nearer.

With 189 comics to go, it's far far more exciting and motivating than when there was five thousand comics to go. Then each individual comic hardly mattered compared to the big picture.

Now it's a case of each new comic found is a major breakthrough.

Also when I decided to try to collect every DC, back in the 1970s, it seemed such a faraway dream. I never seriously expected it to ever happen, and gave up in 1986.

Now with the internet, it's possible to find the Golden Age gems that were quite simply out of reach in the 1970s. Back then, if someone found a pile of old comics in their Grandfather's attic, they had no idea where to sell them, and lots ended up in car boot sales.

NOW, with e-bay, and dealers like Metropolis, it is possible to realise a lifelong dream and collect a full set of DCs in lower grades without financially crippling yourself for life.

Hope that puts it in the picture.

I can't force myself to lose interest now when I'm so very very very nearly there.

Remember I LOVE restored comics. They look great, and most of you won't touch them with a ten foot pole, which makes my task SO much easier.

put up the new 189 list...

also, how many are premiums and the sort. I dont really get how you draw the line with many of those: they werent really "published" by DC anfd put out for sale, so I dont think they "count" And, since you do, where do you draw the line between the ones on your list, and just ANYTHING on paper with drawings of DC characters that a DC logo? Does it have to be a multi-paged story?

I don't wanna tempt fate by posting up the list of 189 until I'm 100% certain that Joe Nacca has physically found all 26 comics off the wants list.

Besides which, it suddenly became 190, because I found that somehow accidentally I don't have a Leave It To Binky 29, and yet it hasn't been on the wants list for months, which, tracing it back, means I made an error about it sometime in June.

As for the giveaways and premiums, they're NOT included in the 190 DCs I need.

My actual wants list is in seven parts as follows.........

This is the blurb at the top of the list which I e-mail regularly to my own private address book (Harley, Paul Sassienie, Metropolis, etc etc)

"Section One of 190 comics are the proper true DCs I'm missing, and these 190 will complete the ENTIRE set of thirty thousand DC comics ever actually released from 1935 to 2003 and onwards.

Section Two is all the promotional and giveaway comics, which seem to be endless, but this list seems to be most of what I need, but the list is overpowering. But these were not actually released as true DCs.

Section Three is stuff which is only LINKED to DC. Of course I still want it (Blackhawks, Military/Modern, and the pre-DC G.I. Combats) but it's not really true DC.

Section Four is the recent Wildstorm stuff (Wildstorm, Homage, Cliffhanger, America's Best)

Section Five is Paradox, which, like the above Wildstorm, isn't real DC, but it seemed like I'd better collect it anyway.

Section Six is the current brand new DCs just for easy reference to make sure I don't miss any, although I get them automatically off Paul Sassienie.

Section Seven is the few digests that I still need.

I hope to soon have the best DC collection in the world, but it still needs YOUR help.

MORE NOW THAN EVER BEFORE"

Hope that helps.........

Section Seven is the few digests that I still need.

So you must have been the mysterious customer for Metropolis Comics' want list email of a month or so ago. A couple of the digests you got from them must have come from me, as I "sold" (traded) them to Vincent.

Good deal!

Everybody's happy & now I can brag I contributed to the cause! 893applaud-thumb.gif