• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Superman Ad spread found in Star Spangled War Stories #41

8 posts in this topic

Perhaps some of you have seen this and perhaps not but I have been in comics for a LONG time and never saw this particular ad before.

It is a double page ad at the centerfold of Star Spangled War Stories #41, January 1956

Perhaps DC put this ad in all of their January issues? One of you DC collectors will know but I was quite amazed when I came across it in this obscure book.

I do not recall seeing this in Harry Matetsky's Superman book.

I have enclosed a few pics for you to look at.

Any other great Superman ads hidden in other books?

64685.jpg.f81f578c8d93b75e0e1e8f574ed1c737.jpg

64686.jpg.310fec8d78983b3182fa8f2bf2cf4da5.jpg

64687.jpg.e343d06b1297dae64a0b4682704339a2.jpg

64688.jpg.fe71a6f86f3ba49bdb279131ab6c78b8.jpg

I am almost certain I have seen the ad before, or at the very least a one page version of it.

The BEST Superman ad I know of (silver age) is in books that came out the month of Superboy 68 (first Bizzaro) there is a way cool ad for the "Superman Family" of comics. I don't have a picture of it right now, but I should take one.

By the way, rattiy copy of that SSWS 41 with awful pages.... :takeit:

There appears to be a Glider that you could shoot into the air, A punching bag, A boys and girls outfit, a swimming set, a horseshoe toss game, a cool sweatshirt, a film strip viewer, a scrap book, a muscle building kit, Superman game, a watch, an art kit, lunch box, magic kit, and cards.

That's great!

I think the image of Superman on the left with the Santa costume was also used on a Xmas card. I'm pretty sure Mitch Itkowitz (Graphic Collectibles) had the original art for sale awhile back. It's by Win Mortimer.

I checked but did not find it on his site.

He has an Awesome site by the way

Thanks!