• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Deslab This PGX/CGG?

46 posts in this topic

Granted, I know PGX/CGG doesn't get a lot of respect here (deservedly). However, how does the market in general value that brand?

Should I deslab this book? Typically I don't worry about cracking slabs, but for this book in particular my concern is that it would lose a lot of its resale value raw. (Or I'd have to pay CGC $50+ to slab it again when it comes time to sell.)

Thoughts?

my most recent experience: upgraded an early cap and the old one went to cgc; came back restored, with cf reattached [if i ever checked, it was in the 90's when i bought it]. got the reinforcement taken off the cf, and because i didn't feel like the wait or the expense, since i was just blowing it out, off it went to pgx [second time i ever sent them a book, and the first one is a REALLY long story]. came back restored, with the notation the cover was cleaned. i had been assured the chemical smell was just mothballs by the person who removed the reinforcement, but by this time i was flat-out tired of the hassle. threw it up on ebay, and it sold in it's pgx green holder for $25 over blue guide. the buyer and his competition that got it up over the 2 g's mark must not have been frequenters of this site.

Granted, I know PGX/CGG doesn't get a lot of respect here (deservedly). However, how does the market in general value that brand?

Should I deslab this book? Typically I don't worry about cracking slabs, but for this book in particular my concern is that it would lose a lot of its resale value raw. (Or I'd have to pay CGC $50+ to slab it again when it comes time to sell.)

Thoughts?

my most recent experience: upgraded an early cap and the old one went to cgc; came back restored, with cf reattached [if i ever checked, it was in the 90's when i bought it]. got the reinforcement taken off the cf, and because i didn't feel like the wait or the expense, since i was just blowing it out, off it went to pgx [second time i ever sent them a book, and the first one is a REALLY long story]. came back restored, with the notation the cover was cleaned. i had been assured the chemical smell was just mothballs by the person who removed the reinforcement, but by this time i was flat-out tired of the hassle. threw it up on ebay, and it sold in it's pgx green holder for $25 over blue guide. the buyer and his competition that got it up over the 2 g's mark must not have been frequenters of this site.

Your accent is making it difficult to read that post. Could you please type more clearly and with less twang. Thank you. (thumbs u

Thoughts?

For the reasons that others have already mentioned here, I would definitely get it re-slabed by CGC.

That's a pretty old CGGroup slab, there's no telling what kind of secrets it contains.

Thoughts?

For the reasons that others have already mentioned here, I would definitely get it re-slabed by CGC.

That's a pretty old CGGroup slab, there's no telling what kind of secrets it contains.

Cracking seems like a no-brainer now.

I will send to Susan Cicconi for the resto check (and take advantage of my NOD discount :grin:) Nothing against CGC, I just don't feel like I need it "graded" and don't want to wait weeks or months. If it's resto free, I'm good with it raw as I plan to keep it. If it's restored, I don't want to pay $50 for a PLOD.

I will report back when the results are in. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Thoughts?

I would leave it in the case for protection.When it comes time to sell its 50/50 to me.I do know a pgx Dennis The Menace 1 pgx 6 sold for 1250 or so.I think your outstanding reputation would sell that book slabbed.

Thoughts?

Your accent is making it difficult to read that post. Could you please type more clearly and with less twang. Thank you. (thumbs u

It is rather a stong accent, isn't it? :grin:

If you'd like to read it, crack it. I believe the Ditko story hasn't been reprinted. I've cracked the few PGXs I've bought. My take on the current market is that you won't be hurting yourself if you choose to sell it raw. It'd probably do better on ebay raw than in a CGC case.

Unbutton that beast, but realize thats probably the highest grade you'll ever see associated with that book.

Bah.

I would crack it out. It is worth more RAW then in that krappy PGX holder. And why not just send it to Susan?

I did.

:eek: