• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Deslab This PGX/CGG?

46 posts in this topic

Granted, I know PGX/CGG doesn't get a lot of respect here (deservedly). However, how does the market in general value that brand?

Should I deslab this book? Typically I don't worry about cracking slabs, but for this book in particular my concern is that it would lose a lot of its resale value raw. (Or I'd have to pay CGC $50+ to slab it again when it comes time to sell.)

Thoughts?

64779.jpg.4167ea2f15f3fe2abb791af4d4d799d0.jpg

To me, the book looks nicer than a 6.5. Why don't you crack it and resub to CGC?

That book structurally looks much nicer then a 6.5, if I were you Id resubmit that to CGC and see what happens. Worst case you get a book that is easier to sell (unless restored, but wouldnt you want to find out anyway ?) and I highly doubt its coming back less then 6.5 unless there are some major defects on the BC. That book looks to have some tanning on the cover no ? Maybe once you crack it open you can see how bad it is.

Crack it out. You have nothing to lose.

Unless it comes back trimmed or restored - which it very well might. Knowing Steve, that is a factor that would make him more likely to get it certified by CGC, not less likely.

Unless it comes back trimmed or restored - which it very well might. Knowing Steve, that is a factor that would make him more likely to get it certified by CGC, not less likely.

It's either trimmed or restored or it isn't. Setting in that slab won't make a difference. You have already formed an opinion based on the grading company. If I were going to sell it, I would have it certified by CGC. If it isn't going to be sold, then I would still crack it out just for the satisfaction of throwing the PGX slab away.

It's not like it's an uber high grade book....it looks nice, and if you want to deslab it, go ahead and read it.

If you want to sell it, confirm it's not restored one way or the other via size, edges, CGC etc, and then determine if you think slabbing adds value.

It's either trimmed or restored or it isn't. Setting in that slab won't make a difference. You have already formed an opinion based on the grading company. If I were going to sell it, I would have it certified by CGC. If it isn't going to be sold, then I would still crack it out just for the satisfaction of throwing the PGX slab away.

I'm not arguing against getting it CGC graded. That's what he should do. And knowing Steve Z., I think that's what he will do.

I don't think the book is trimmed because it's graded by PGX. I think it's trimmed because there is no overhang where it should be on the top or bottom. I could be wrong, but a typical Marvel book from that era doesn't look like that.

Granted, I know PGX/CGG doesn't get a lot of respect here (deservedly). However, how does the market in general value that brand?

Should I deslab this book? Typically I don't worry about cracking slabs, but for this book in particular my concern is that it would lose a lot of its resale value raw. (Or I'd have to pay CGC $50+ to slab it again when it comes time to sell.)

Thoughts?

Steve,

Crack it and send it in, that's a low number, graded just shortly after they

started using the slab itself. You should get a .5 bump. I have a stack of

promo graded that didn't come with the hard plastic case, just the inner

well that they did when they first started up.

CGG501012409

CGG501012409frontnormal.jpg

And I think this is the 2nd book they ever graded.

CGG501011002

CGG501011002frontnormal.jpg

I don't think the book is trimmed because it's graded by PGX. I think it's trimmed because there is no overhang where it should be on the top or bottom. I could be wrong, but a typical Marvel book from that era doesn't look like that.

I really don't think it is...

All 3 edges have the appropriate "V" formation to the inside pages and there is a slight cover overhang. If it was trimmed, it was trimmed cover only and they did a superb job. There certainly appears to be an appropriate amount of roughness and corner wear for an untrimmed book. (The scan makes the edge look much cleaner than it looks in hand.)

(shrug)

And, there is a back cover overhang on the left edge... so this accounts for the slightly short front right edge.

hm

Z,

I would take it out of that holder for certain. Why? because i'd never sleep that well knowing that the GUY that graded it in his basement is a con man!

I'd be very wary about buying a book like this in a PGX slab now. However, I bought this at least 5 years ago... long before the hijinx were exposed.