• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HEY! Double-cover lovers!

12 posts in this topic

is there a simple formula as to how one prices a double cover? something like 'add the combined value of the grades of both covers together' or '150% value of 2nd cover grade' ??

found one, going to sell it, trying to get a ballpark figure to post it at so i don't look like a complete @ss

thanks in advance (thumbs u

I dunno, 1 1/2 times normal value is what I always assumed. Of course we all know what assuming makes of u and me... haha. Probably depends also on the book. A double cover Hulk 181 would command a much higher premium than say, the double cover Sword of Sorcery 2 I sold here on the boards a few weeks ago.

Don't know about relative values . . . but, I did pick up a double-cover just yesterday at an LCS in NJ. It's a nice 8.0-ish copy of Astonishing Tales #1 (Ka-Zar and Dr. Doom). I guess the store owner didn't realize it was a double, and I bought it without even realizing it myself, for just $7. Wasn't until I got it home to flip through and re-bag it that I had the nice surprise of finding a pristine inside cover :cloud9:

A double cover Hulk 181 would command a much higher premium than say, the double cover Sword of Sorcery 2 I sold here on the boards a few weeks ago.

Yep, it all depends on the book.

is there a simple formula as to how one prices a double cover? something like 'add the combined value of the grades of both covers together' or '150% value of 2nd cover grade' ??

found one, going to sell it, trying to get a ballpark figure to post it at so i don't look like a complete @ss

Take the Overstreet value of the inner cover.....divide that by the Overstreet value of the outer cover. Count the number of non-Marvel advertisement pages in the book, double that number and add to the previous total. If there are more than 4 color-breaking spine ticks on the outer cover, cut the total in half UNLESS there is a bindery tear on the bottom of the spine, Not the top, just the bottom. Now, take that number and if the inner cover is 9.2 or better, triple it. If the inner cover is 6.5 or less halve it. Check GPA and if a slabbed 9.8 copy of that book (single cover) has ever sold for over $1000, add 20% to ur total. If the back page has that Look Who's Smiling Now guy, subtract 10%. If the comic is not a Marvel or DC, subtract 50%. If it is considered a major key or if the cover contains Supergirl, Power Girl. or some other chick with large boobs, add 35%. That is the value of the book raw. Now smoke some more crack and go to bed.

Take the Overstreet value of the inner cover.....divide that by the Overstreet value of the outer cover. Count the number of non-Marvel advertisement pages in the book, double that number and add to the previous total. If there are more than 4 color-breaking spine ticks on the outer cover, cut the total in half UNLESS there is a bindery tear on the bottom of the spine, Not the top, just the bottom. Now, take that number and if the inner cover is 9.2 or better, triple it. If the inner cover is 6.5 or less halve it. Check GPA and if a slabbed 9.8 copy of that book (single cover) has ever sold for over $1000, add 20% to ur total. If the back page has that Look Who's Smiling Now guy, subtract 10%. If the comic is not a Marvel or DC, subtract 50%. If it is considered a major key or if the cover contains Supergirl, Power Girl. or some other chick with large boobs, add 35%. That is the value of the book raw. Now smoke some more crack and go to bed.

I just used your formula on my Tomb of Dracula #7 9.4 double cover. Looks like its worth 42,000 dollars!!! :acclaim:

I just used your formula on my Tomb of Dracula #7 9.4 double cover. Looks like its worth 42,000 dollars!!! :acclaim:

Sweet! Sounds about right. hm

why would you put so much effort into that (shrug)

smoke some crack Take the Overstreet value of the inner cover.....divide that by the Overstreet value of the outer cover. Count the number of non-Marvel advertisement pages in the book, double that number and add to the previous total. If there are more than 4 color-breaking spine ticks on the outer cover, cut the total in half UNLESS there is a bindery tear on the bottom of the spine, Not the top, just the bottom. Now, take that number and if the inner cover is 9.2 or better, triple it. If the inner cover is 6.5 or less halve it. Check GPA and if a slabbed 9.8 copy of that book (single cover) has ever sold for over $1000, add 20% to ur total. If the back page has that Look Who's Smiling Now guy, subtract 10%. If the comic is not a Marvel or DC, subtract 50%. If it is considered a major key or if the cover contains Supergirl, Power Girl. or some other chick with large boobs, add 35%. That is the value of the book raw. Now smoke some more crack and go to bed.

why would you put so much effort into that (shrug)

He forgot to mention his true first step in the process. I've bolded(is that a word (shrug) ) it for all concerned.