• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last taboo: Flipping

337 posts in this topic

I LOVE the band Flipper even more.

I can't believe that someone knows this band other than me. :headbang:

After going to Wiki, I can't believe that this band has reformed in the past few years. :whistle:

:screwy:

Misspent youth in the early to mid-'80's :gossip:

David is good people and operates with as high a level of ethics as anyone here on the boards...

Not if the scenario posted here is true. (tsk)

You guys make a great lynch mob...the seller posted the PM and divad said he made an error and posted the wrong scan and never went through with a sale...hardly damning evidence but everyone here always seems to want to jump to the most sordid conclusion... (shrug)

David is good people and operates with as high a level of ethics as anyone here on the boards...

You guys make a great lynch mob...the seller posted the PM and divad said he made an error and posted the wrong scan and never went through with a sale...hardly damning evidence but everyone here always seems to want to jump to the most sordid conclusion... (shrug)

It seemed strange that Divad didn't replace the scan with one of the correct book. He has now posted to say that the reason he didn't do this was because he'd sold the book 18 months previously. I admit, he may be completely innocent but the whole affair seems very strange.

If Divad is being genuine, how would this happen? He was running a selling thread and he decides he should sell his 5.5 FF Annual (that he hasn't seen for 18 months because he forgot that he sold it). How did he grade it at 5.5 if he hadn't seen it for a year and a half? Then he puts up a scan for a completely different book. I'm surprised that he would sell his better copy when he was unhappy enough with the other copy to ask for a partial refund.

Like I said, I could be wrong. (shrug)

:hi: You expected otherwise? :baiting:

Gaz,

Sometimes us old guys actually forget stuff . . . (: I recently sold a book to an esteemed board member, and couldn't find it to deliver it. I sheepishly asked him not to send any money (he had forgotten too, as well). :insane: Thankfully he was a rational guy, and didn't go off the deep end lol

-d

As to under and over copies, I understand that many of you collect this way, but that's generally not how I collect.

Classic Ending to a Classic Moment in CGC Message Boards History.

This thread --- and dozens like it --- could only be improved with the inclusion of lines like:

"DESTROY ALL MONSTERS!"

I try not to do too much selling because the "business" takes away from teh "fun" and comics are a hobby for me. But, since my son was born and my comic budget has decreased to zero, I have had to sell a number of books to fund purchases and this has forced me to examine my personal feelings about selling in general and "flipping" books.

If I bought something at the full asking price with no strings attached, then it is mine to do with as I want. I have bought a few CGC books that I thought were "bargains" if I thought I could resell them for a profit.

I have occasionally been asked by collectors to look out for certain books and they would pay me a certain price if I could find it. I don't feel bad if I buy and sell a book like that as long as it was offered for public sale.

I received some books in the Christmas raffle a while back. I sold a few to help a charity and that didn't bother me. And I gave away another cool present I got. I sold some others to purchase a book but I asked the giver first.

People are more important than books. Don't burn a relationship over a couple books. I have met some guys on these boards like Doc Watson, Bronze Bruce, Grails and Mutant Keys that I consider friends and others, like Steve Borock and greggy, that I may see only once a year but I look forward to those times like I do when I do when I see friends that I haven't seen in a long time. You never know when a $20 book deal might introduce you to a new friend (or a repeat customer for you dealers).

We are not what we own. Owning a book, even one you really like, won't make you any different. But, lying or behaving dishonestly to get a book, will make you different.

If a seller has explicitly attached some strings to the sale like, "If you ever sell this, please offer it back to me" and I agree, then I will.

Times change. I have had to sell some books that I never planned on selling. I hope I haven't angered guys who may sold me the books because I was a collector and not a dealer. And I understand when others have had to sell books that I thought they were planning on keeping forever when I sold them.

People have different viewpoints. To dealers, comics are a business and buying/selling is a purely commercial transaction - pure capitalism. There is nothing wrong with that viewpoint. To collectors, there is often an emotional side to a transaction and feelings become involved. There is nothing wrong with that viewpoint either.

I believe in doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. Whether you believe in the golden rule, or karma, or paying it forward or just good customer service, I think they all lead to conduct based on mutual respect and honesty. Guys like Mr. Highgrade and Nik and Flaming Telepath and Ghost Town and Foolkiller and Pedigree and Ze-Man and Silver Surfer and Sckao and Darth Diesel and sLiver and President Dennis and Spunkydo and so many others have done me right. If I ever had a chance to do something nice for any of them, I would.

A few comments I would like to make. If any of you were new to this hobby and sold a comic to someone who then asked for a partial refund and then put that same comic back up for sale at a grade that he claimed it wasn't for six times what he paid for it you would be pissed. Taking down the scan and not replacing it with a different scan makes the deal look like a masterful ripoff. Chris/Cowright was very upset and I agreed that it looked like he had been ripped off. I want to point out that Chris, despite feeling taken advantage of, was a class act.

Guess that means I'm to blame so start the flaming.

Gaz,

Sometimes us old guys actually forget stuff . . . (: I recently sold a book to an esteemed board member, and couldn't find it to deliver it. I sheepishly asked him not to send any money (he had forgotten too, as well). :insane: Thankfully he was a rational guy, and didn't go off the deep end lol

-d

As to under and over copies, I understand that many of you collect this way, but that's generally not how I collect.

Divad, if I've been unfair to you then I humbly apologise. :foryou: