• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll - Have you ever cracked a comic out of a slab?

Have you ever cracked a comic out of a slab (other than to get it out of an already broken slab)?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever cracked a comic out of a slab (other than to get it out of an already broken slab)?

85 posts in this topic

Yes, I have cracked slabs ranging from 9.0 to 9.6 on occasion when I would rather have the book raw. Has nothing to do with reading it though.

Cracking purple labels to sell as unrestored raw? :eek:

I buy high grade bronze Batmans so I don't crack the slabs, I see no reason to do this.

But I know others buy slabs and then crack them out.

I've cracked many books but never anything above 9.0 or so.

Most of the slabbed books I bought were mid or lower grade marvel keys (eg hulk 1 gvg) and I bought slabbed for the resto check / confidence in grade only.

Actually deslabbing is quite a fun little process for some reason.

Yes, I have cracked slabs ranging from 9.0 to 9.6 on occasion when I would rather have the book raw. Has nothing to do with reading it though.

FU, Maresca

Tons.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this is interesting...it IMPLIES that the Census could be way off...we should do a total count estimate against all the books graded so far...I could see it being easily 10% and perhaps 20%...

My present fantasy is to take my 250 or so slabs and have a crack-open party...I'm pretty sure I'll do it some day... :o

I've cracked three slabs, and all three times were to learn something about grading and restoration. The first one I cracked was a CGC 9.0 book that had one of those old label notes that said "light stain interior front cover." The book looked like a 9.6 from the outside, so I wanted to see how big the stain was that was knocking it down to a 9.0. The second two slabs I cracked were ones with slight color touch, to see if I could both detect and remove that color touch. Kinda fun knowing it's there somewhere and trying to find it.

I've cracked three slabs, and all three times were to learn something about grading and restoration. The first one I cracked was a CGC 9.0 book that had one of those old label notes that said "light stain interior front cover." The book looked like a 9.6 from the outside, so I wanted to see how big the stain was that was knocking it down to a 9.0. The second two slabs I cracked were ones with slight color touch, to see if I could both detect and remove that color touch. Kinda fun knowing it's there somewhere and trying to find it.

well...., what is the report :shrug:

FU, Maresca

jeez greg :o relax lol seriously though why? resubmits maybe?

FU, Maresca

jeez greg :o relax lol seriously though why? resubmits maybe?

How about keeping them raw, jackazz? :headbang:

I've cracked out a slew of books. With the advent of CGC, I wanted to check out the books in hand and get a better sense of their grading criteria. I've read a few of 'em. I've had several reslabbed so that I could sell them. And I've resubmitted a few of them expecting to get a higher grade or an improved PQ designation. It's worked numerous times, as there's plenty of undergraded books out there.

I don't press 'em, I don't have 'em pressed, but I'm still a playah! :insane:

well...., what is the report :shrug:

That interior stain on the 9.0 that looks like a 9.6 is on the interior front cover, and it's about 2 inches tall by 3 inches wide. There is no moisture rippling on the other side of it on the front cover. Since this defect is visible nowhere on the outside, it's the absolute ideal defect to have on a book if you want to settle for a lower technical grade on a book that looks near-perfect.

On the two color touch books, I found it on one, but not the other. They were both slight professional...I figured I'd look for the one I didn't find again at some point.