• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any reason to not use Paypal's refund functionality to issue refunds?

13 posts in this topic

Twice in two weeks I've returned books to pretty big name dealers only to have them send me a brand new Paypal payment for my refund, rather than refund my Paypal payment. Is there any reason to do this that I'm not getting? It costs everyone money. The dealer isn't getting his Paypal fees back on the money I paid him, and I have to pay fees on the money sent me.

:frustrated::frustrated:

Because you get most of your money back immediately. If they do a refund, paypal hangs on to your money for a week or more while it sorts stuff out.

I had a refund issued to me this year, and it took something like 10 days before I actually got the money back.

I'm really not sure why those dealers would elect to issue refunds that way. They are losing out on fees as well as you are. It's partial all around then. Bad move on their part. (shrug)

BTW, I've had many send money requests refunded/returned and there hasn't been a hold issued of any sort. Unless it's a questionable transaction, or was funded by a bank account (maybe?), no hold should be issued.

I think it was because it was funded by a bank account, but I don't know what sense that makes, and I don't remember the exact details. Tried to look it up - all it says is

"Temporary Hold Information: A temporary hold was placed because your Direct Debit or Bank Funding payment was denied or cancelled.The Temporary Hold was released after the funds arrived from your bank account. These funds are now reflected in your PayPal balance."

It was seven days before the money was credited back.

I think it was because it was funded by a bank account, but I don't know what sense that makes, and I don't remember the exact details. Tried to look it up - all it says is

"Temporary Hold Information: A temporary hold was placed because your Direct Debit or Bank Funding payment was denied or cancelled.The Temporary Hold was released after the funds arrived from your bank account. These funds are now reflected in your PayPal balance."

That's simply outrageous. :o

I have to say that so far :wishluck: , I haven't had a refund held.

That's simply outrageous. :o

I have to say that so far :wishluck: , I haven't had a refund held.

Tell me about it :(

It was one of those deals where I bought two books, but one of them turned out to be sold already....., and I really shouldn't have bought either one in the first place. Kinda glad to get the money back on a partial refund, but I sure didn't understand the delay.

This is due the nature of bank processing times. Banks move at the speed of...well...errr...banks. Sure it's cheaper for all parties involved to use banks, but they can be a pain from a time standpoint.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to reverse a payment. Does anyone know how to do this? There doesn't seem to be any information on Paypal about it.

How to reverse? I don't think that's possible. You can have the recipient refund the payment or do a send money back to you (as noted in this thread). But once you send payment, it's in the recipient's hands.

I know it sounds, well, idotic, but there are some people who don't know that they a) can issue a refund or b) know where the "hidden" refund link is.

In either case, you should contact these dealers - respectfully ask them to refund you and that you are going to refund their payment. It should work out to everyone's advantage - especially for higher priced items.

Larry

I just got another refund, and it is in the perpetual hold category again..., :sorry:

I'll let you know how long it takes this time. Hopefully, it will be this month.

"Temporary Hold Information: This temporary hold was placed because your Direct Debit or Bank Funding payment was denied, cancelled, or refunded.The funds from this payment cannot be released until they have arrived from your bank account, which usually takes 3-5 business days."