• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does CGC treat foxing when slabbing?

25 posts in this topic

cgc is pretty hard on them. Some of my initial batman books sent in got 8-8.5's that had foxing. o/w they would have been in the nines.

As well they should be. If I paid $500+ for a 9.2 or 9.4, I don't want to see foxing on it. I would feel ripped off.

I disagree with Overstreet that foxing is allowed on a 9.4

Personally, I think 8.5 should be the maximum grade allowable for a book with foxing. Maybe 9.0 if it would otherwise be a 9.8 and it is very minor foxing, not anything that messes up the front cover

Strangely enough, I "wiped" a few foxing dots off an early bronze cover once, I guess it was just starting to fox. It ended up with a 9.4 slabbed.

And something I have never experienced firsthand, but I have heard foxing can spread(if stored improperly) from book to book. Needless to say I would keep books with foxing seperate from others in my collection.

Y'know, I'm constantly blown away by how cavalier collectors and dealers are about this, especially since, too often, plain old mold growth is dismissed as foxing. This has always been a concern of mine (ask Donut and others who constantly try to trick me into touching books with foxing).

Even though I once asked Matt Nelson about my concerns regarding people putting books with foxing on their scanners, then next scanning a HG gem on the same scanner bed, and he assured me this wasn't an issue, I'm still not convinced. Why people put their best books in direct contact with those that have foxing or mold issues is beyond me.

As for paper, I do think it determines susceptibility. For example, BA Archies seem to get a type of reddish mold stain in the paper that I rarely see on Marvels or DC's from the period, or any SA books.

Hey Paul, I think the reddish stain color in your Archies has to do with the composition(metallics) of the paper they used and how it reacts to the mold that grows on/in it. ( I think)

While scanning book after book might transfer some spores, improper storage conditions have to be present for foxing to start up again. And with todays retentive storage minded collecter that is not as likely to happen.

But still, wiping the glass of the scanner off every time you scan a book with foxing cant hurt. Dont let Dan tell you otherwise!

And while Off topic, I am still getting tons of Romas, the plant wont stop.

I totally seal up any raw books with foxing, extra tape along the bag, etc. I bought some Harvey crime comics with some not so minor foxing more than 15 years ago and have kept them that way ever since and the foxing has gotten no worse (at least on the cover).

noticeable foxing should get a big hit, why should it be treated so much better than a very light water stain or something?

as for how much CGC deducts... I had an old Hit Comics and it looked like it had a black patch of mold or some other discoloration on the back (I had bought it from Heritage, so it was maybe just slabbed) and they gave it a 6.5. The book probably could have been a 7.0/7.5 otherwise.