• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does CGC treat foxing when slabbing?

25 posts in this topic

I have some high grade bronze books I want to slab. A few look perfect except for some foxing. I checked my Overstreet and it says minor foxing is allowed on 9.4 and down, but not 9.6 and above.

Does CGC treat foxing in a similar way?

If I has a bronze comic that is otherwise a 9.8 but has minor foxing, is it possible to get a 9.4 from CGC? If not, what is the maximum you think they would give?

I realize it depends on how large the foxing and where it is located.

Foxing on front cover is worst, back cover 2nd worst, inside the cover probably not so bad.

Anyone have experience with this? Would really like to know if it is possible to get a 9.4 in these cases.

I have a book that looks like a stone-cold 9.4 book but got a CGC 9.2 for what I suspect to be the foxing on the bc. I suspect that it's a good bet that the BEST case would be 9.4 providing that everything else is perfect but would EXPECT a 9.2 or lower, depending on the location and degree of foxing.

I have a book that looks like a stone-cold 9.4 book but got a CGC 9.2 for what I suspect to be the foxing on the bc. I suspect that it's a good bet that the BEST case would be 9.4 providing that everything else is perfect but would EXPECT a 9.2 or lower, depending on the location and degree of foxing.

how much foxing was on your book? just one small area? or a large portion of back cover?

how dark was the foxing? extremely light? regular? dark?

how much foxing was on your book? just one small area? or a large portion of back cover?

how dark was the foxing? extremely light? regular? dark?

That's like asking how grey was it?

How about some scans so people can quantify it? That is the only way to make an edumicated guess. Everything else is just not going to cut it.

R.

What causes foxing on books?

Most people are not sure and there is a large debate about it in the paper world.

R.

While it is debated as to what it is exactly, how it forms is probably better understood.

Mainly storage conditions,extremes in temps, and or UV light seems to spark the initial growth of whatever it is(mold, fingi, or a reaction of the paper itself if exposed to food through human contact)

A book stored in too warm/humid enviroment can promote foxing and or being introduced to a UV lightsource probably is the most common cause for foxing, and once started it behaves like rust and continues to spread through spores be they airborne, or direct contact. Obviously removing the lightsouce or improper storage condition halts its progression but the spores that make up the foxing might become dormant only to become active again if ideal conditions present themselves.

I am still unclear if certain books are more prone to foxing based on the paper used in the books themselves? Or if all paper products exposed to "the perfect improper storage storm" will result in foxing because almost every comic is made from similar newsprint but they all dont have foxing even though many were stored improperly for years.

And something I have never experienced firsthand, but I have heard foxing can spread(if stored improperly) from book to book. Needless to say I would keep books with foxing seperate from others in my collection. I remember reading Tracey Hefts paper on it and him mentioning several things to minimize the damaging efects of the spores that promote foxing , which included change of storage enviroment(more circulation) and even taking the books outside and wiping them off to remove any "stray spores" which might relocate and find a new home on another book.

Mainly storage conditions,extremes in temps, and or UV light seems to spark the initial growth of whatever it is(mold, fungi, or a reaction of the paper iteslf)

I'd like to believe the high temp of pressing would kill the mold / fungi but I guess that isn't the case.

Mainly storage conditions,extremes in temps, and or UV light seems to spark the initial growth of whatever it is(mold, fungi, or a reaction of the paper itdelf)

I'd like to believe the high temp of pressing would kill the mold / fungi but I guess that isn't the case.

I am not sure what does or does not "kill" the actual foxing itself aside from removing its growth source(moisture and light) but as I understand it the spores that lead to foxing can live dormant no matter what they are exposed to. The foxing may be halted for decades only to become active again (unlikely in todays proper storage minded atmosphere) if given a chance.

Like I said, I am more relating what I understand it to be then stating it as a fact.

Mainly storage conditions,extremes in temps, and or UV light seems to spark the initial growth of whatever it is(mold, fungi, or a reaction of the paper iteslf)

So pressing can be good for books.

:wishluck:

lol

I just picked up a few books that I am about to list in the FS Forum. Some of them have foxing. I read the first few responses, and as a part-time dealer can't agree. I usually drop the books a half to full grade for foxing.

My question for some more experienced folks, am I being to hard ??