• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #110 Original art

50 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I obtained my 1st piece of original comic art today, which happens to be page 3 from X-Men #110 and signed by Chris Claremont along the bottom of the panel.

Can anyone tell me the approximate market value of this piece?

Thanks,

Shark

I would guess that the FMV is right around what you paid for it earlier today.

And I would guess that you are wrong. :makepoint:

Hi guys. I obtained my 1st piece of original comic art today, which happens to be page 3 from X-Men #110 and signed by Chris Claremont along the bottom of the panel.

Thanks,

Shark

Curious how you "obtained" it. If you just got it you can easily check your paypal acct or possible the receipt that came with it and see what you paid. The value should be right there doh!

Thanks,

Shark

Curious how you "obtained" it. If you just got it you can easily check your paypal acct or possible the receipt that came with it and see what you paid. The value should be right there doh!

I KNOW what I paid for it and think I got it for a steal. What I'm asking is this: If I were to sell it on the open market today (here, on eBay, wherever) what do you think the ESTIMATED selling price would be? I'm sure similar pages have sold recently and I'd just like to know it's approximate value. I didn't steal the damn thing and don't want to sell it. I just want to know what it's approximate value is.

Mike

Thanks,

Shark

Why do you guys need to be so mean ? Original poster was asking a very fair and reasoable question. Incidentally, I'd value at btwn 5-8k

I don't think it's worth $5K, Dave Cockrum did the splash page, the rest was penciled and inked by Tony Dezuniga. While I think Tony is a very good artist, his work doesn't command those prices even if it is the X-Men. Only two are in costume, no real action in the page (except baseball). The splash for the issue went for around $3K a few years ago. I would say this page is worth like $1.5 - 2K, more for having Wolverine in it.

I didn't bother checking the credits and assumed in the run it was Cockrum or Byrne. Brian's right it's worth much less due to the artist.

Well, it's important to know these things. Especially on a flip.

That particular story isn't held to the same nostalgic appeal as the 17 issues before or after. It was a fill in story that had a timer placed on it -- as Byrne recalls. It was an oddball story that interrupted his run. You're 'lucky' in that it's a baseball page, so that give it some wider appeal.

I would have said 1.2 is more than fair. Hope you really skinned the guy.

Hey all --

Nice page. I agree it's not in the same league as the surrounding Cockrum/Byrne/(Austin) pages...partially due to the artist and partially due to its nostalgic appeal is limited because the story is something of a 'time out' in the larger narrative arc. No battle or villains...no one in costume per se...hard to gauge. The title and the year are right, but the page itself doesn't have a moment that grabs the reader. I'd say a bit less than the $1200, but not much.

Dan

Why do you guys need to be so mean ? Original poster was asking a very fair and reasoable question.

Not really. Asking FMV BEFORE he bought the book would be fair and reasonable. Doing it afterward seems to be either suspicious or gloating.

The title and the year are right, but the page itself doesn't have a moment that grabs the reader. I'd say a bit less than the $1200, but not much.

I'd pay $1,200 for it. If the owner wants to sell at that price, PM me.

Gene

Why do you guys need to be so mean ? Original poster was asking a very fair and reasoable question.

Not really. Asking FMV BEFORE he bought the book would be fair and reasonable. Doing it afterward seems to be either suspicious or gloating.

If I had known I was going to get a bunch of answers like this I probably wouldn't even have posted anything. The scenario is simply this: I purchased this piece of original art at a bargain basement price and I may be able to get my hands on some more. BTW: While we're at it, anyone care to estimate the approximate value of the original art to the covers of Invaders #40 or Defenders #63?

Because this is my 1st piece of original art I wasn't sure of it's approximate value. I knew it had to be worth much more than I paid for it, so I simply wanted to find out it's approximate value. That's all.

Now I want to go back and buy more. :banana:

Shark

Mike it's still a nice page & the value of it can ONLY be determaned by the person wanting that page.

Never know maybe some one out there has the whole book but this one page and can drive the price WAY UP...

I know you said you wouldn't sell it, so for insurance purpose I'd go higher than 3k

and cover your self.

Nice pick-up :applause:

Hey Mike -

It is great to find a treasure trove of nice original art, as you seem to have, for very reasonable prices. I'm happy for you, as I am happy for anyone who finds great art at a good price.

While your frustration with the boards is palpable, the difference of opinions is probably due to the fact that it is a Dezuniga page, not a Cockrum or Byrne page, which are somewhat more known commodities.

However, many of the points made by the other posters are valid and should give you some insight that would help you approximate the page's value, it is a non-action page, and the story is a filler, and not part of, let's say, the Dark Phoenix Saga, which generally commands a premium. All of these factor into a page's ultimate valuation.

Probably the only way to find out what it is worth is by putting it on eBay and seeing what you get. My estimation would be around the 1K range, but it obviously depends on who is bidding and who is looking.

Best of luck with future collecting. I am looking forward to you posting your future acquisitions.

- A