• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A long winded appeal, thoughts and suggestions needed !!!

81 posts in this topic

Cimm good advice but from what I know of Jim as a collector, he is a confessed high grade snob (and I mean that with the utmost respect) so keeping all of it and trying to do the same with GA books might take a lot longer to do. I say blow out the non essentials and enjoy the best of both worlds. (thumbs u

Keep what you've acquired, and add more... No need to sell this to pay for that, if you still have income.

That's your only win-win that I see...

That's a great plan...if your name is Bill Gates. lol

I agree. (thumbs u

If I added my net worth to BIll Gates stockpile we'd have over $40 billion.

Yet I still sell comics to fund other purchases. :baiting:

I'm seriously mulling over the switch in collecting focus from Silver to Gold almost exclusively. I've been bitten by the bug, and can't seem to shake it. From my understanding this is the way it has gone for a great many of collectors here on the boards. So if I were to do this, I'd look at selling off all of my White Mountains and "reinvesting" it into gold. I can chase Gold or I can chase WM's but I can't afford to do both, so here is where my problems lie. If pedigrees are your thing, they can't be replaced. They are not like regular books, so what are the chances of me regretting my decision down the road as I'd never be able to put them back together. When I received my last batch of books in the email, it was a very ho hum experience, of oh another SA book I've seen or owned a dozen times. When I received a parcel of 5 books from our very own Peter (Silver Surfer), I was giddy like on X-Mas day. I don't know the books, they seem fresh and new. I wanted to hold them, and look through them and not quickly put them away like I do my Silver stuff. I also understand that this could be another phase. I mean when I came back to this hobby a couple of years ago it was all ASM all the time, then realizing my limitations with that I added FF, then it became Original art, then it became the WM's and now it's all Subby, Cap and Torch all the time. How long will this phase last? I don't know. I'm running out of genres :)

When I was a kid, I always assumed that someday Gold would be valueless as who would care about it once the geezers died off, obviously I've seen the error of my ways (youth is wasted on the young) but will Gold still hold it's value the way I can forsee Silver holding it's? and if something ever happened down the road that I need to sell, is Gold as liquid as Silver? I don't know these answers. I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions of how you made the transition and whether any regrets are harboured in your decisions. Maybe everybody gets these "pre-Gold jitters".

Jim

As someone who has done the exact same progression I would advise you to take tth2's (Tim) advice - go straight for the keys and as high grade as you can.

Ths way you avoid all the dealer bid/offer spreads on all the comics you would purchase on your natural progression to GA keys.

George

I'm seriously mulling over the switch in collecting focus from Silver to Gold almost exclusively. I've been bitten by the bug, and can't seem to shake it. From my understanding this is the way it has gone for a great many of collectors here on the boards. So if I were to do this, I'd look at selling off all of my White Mountains and "reinvesting" it into gold. I can chase Gold or I can chase WM's but I can't afford to do both, so here is where my problems lie. If pedigrees are your thing, they can't be replaced. They are not like regular books, so what are the chances of me regretting my decision down the road as I'd never be able to put them back together. When I received my last batch of books in the email, it was a very ho hum experience, of oh another SA book I've seen or owned a dozen times. When I received a parcel of 5 books from our very own Peter (Silver Surfer), I was giddy like on X-Mas day. I don't know the books, they seem fresh and new. I wanted to hold them, and look through them and not quickly put them away like I do my Silver stuff. I also understand that this could be another phase. I mean when I came back to this hobby a couple of years ago it was all ASM all the time, then realizing my limitations with that I added FF, then it became Original art, then it became the WM's and now it's all Subby, Cap and Torch all the time. How long will this phase last? I don't know. I'm running out of genres :)

When I was a kid, I always assumed that someday Gold would be valueless as who would care about it once the geezers died off, obviously I've seen the error of my ways (youth is wasted on the young) but will Gold still hold it's value the way I can forsee Silver holding it's? and if something ever happened down the road that I need to sell, is Gold as liquid as Silver? I don't know these answers. I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions of how you made the transition and whether any regrets are harboured in your decisions. Maybe everybody gets these "pre-Gold jitters".

Jim

As someone who has done the exact same progression I would advise you to take tth2's (Tim) advice - go straight for the keys and as high grade as you can.

Ths way you avoid all the dealer bid/offer spreads on all the comics you would purchase on your natural progression to GA keys.

George

I never progressed. :sorry:

Jim

George

:sorry:

Jim

George

Me either :sorry: SA Marvel Keys still break the bank....

Keep what you've acquired, and add more... No need to sell this to pay for that, if you still have income.

That's your only win-win that I see...

That's a great plan...if your name is Bill Gates. lol

Or if you're collecting at a level you can afford and aren't always striving for things that are out of reach.

I know a number of collectors who only add to their collections.

Well there is a reason that I started this thread in Gold, first off the thread has lasted three pages and not one derail yet. As well it appears that every answer that has been given, not only is well thought out but even genuine. :cloud9:

Show me one thread in General that by answer 20 isn't derailed yet.

As for the all or nothing attitude, my only reasoning was that by having even a few WM's laying around would be a simple reminder of my failure to complete a goal I thought was a lifetime commitment to the hobby I had made with myself. Like Brian asked do I have books that I only own because they are WM's, heck yeah. I have about 25 Tales to Astonish books that I never thought I would ever own. :) :) :)

Captains of Industry, I so agree with you and that's what scares me the most, about the collecting ADD. Right now I am so fascinated by the fact that the entire run of MMC's is mostly red and uniform, and look very similar. That if somepone asks me what the cover of MMC #73 look like I have no idea and would have to look it up, as opposed to ASM #73 and FF #73 whose cover art is burned in my mind. Am I fascinated by the fact that some of these cover are not "politically correct" and I can't believe there was a time were things like this were acceptable? Absolutely...but like you are pointing out it might not last, and because I know myself you may be correct.

As for shows, yes I expect to come home empty handed. With SA being so plentiful, I made it conciouss decision to make it tougher by going the WM route

but have maybe set the bar too high. It would be fun to sell all the books and go one a short lived buying spree, but then when that money dried up and no new GA's showed up for sale I suppose I would be in the same boat, now wouldn't I?

I probably need to just slow down and take my time, picking up a book here and a book there will probably be more beneficial and can make me appreciate my collection more than if I spend the coming weeks checking out all the websites and getting all the dealers to bring particular books to Baltimore. After I brought them home, I'd be in the exact same position. I need to remember it's a marathon not a sprint. I should learn to be happy at a slower pace. I mean I already know I'm coming home with the highest graded copy of Cap #66 and the Penn copy of MMC #17, as I've paid for them already months ago.

As for the people that asked, I'd be working on putting together runs of CAP, MMC's and Subby together. 7.5 ish and above :wishluck:

Jim

Hmmm......here's my take.

- If liquidity is a concern, high grade Silver rules. GA often requires "the right buyer" to come along and meet your asking price.

- If you actually plan on keeping your books, GA satisfies the thirst in ways Silver just can't. Holding the Mile High or San Fran copy of a book, and knowing its the nicest copy on the planet, is really an extraordinary feeling.

- A Schomburg war cover connects you to America's greatest moment of the 20th century like no Silver Age cover can hope to.

- And if you like Subby, word is a super nice run, including a couple of the highest graded copies, is coming up for sale in the Sept ComicConnect auction. :whistle:

Hmmm......here's my take.

- If liquidity is a concern, high grade Silver rules. GA often requires "the right buyer" to come along and meet your asking price.

- If you actually plan on keeping your books, GA satisfies the thirst in ways Silver just can't. Holding the Mile High or San Fran copy of a book, and knowing its the nicest copy on the planet, is really an extraordinary feeling.

- A Schomburg war cover connects you to America's greatest moment of the 20th century like no Silver Age cover can hope to.

- And if you like Subby, word is a super nice run, including a couple of the highest graded copies, is coming up for sale in the Sept ComicConnect auction. :whistle:

I really love those schomburg war covers. And the connection to WW2 is what really inspires me to collect GA comics. Hence the grail of mine All-Star 12 . V for victory !

Jim you will make the right decision ! And whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it . Sounds like you are already picking up some really nice Timely's.

Hope to catch you in B'More. And you HAVE to show me those sweet books !

Jim

George

I've always considered it more of an evolution....

65357.jpg

Well there is a reason that I started this thread in Gold, first off the thread has lasted three pages and not one derail yet. As well it appears that every answer that has been given, not only is well thought out but even genuine. :cloud9:

Show me one thread in General that by answer 20 isn't derailed yet.

As for the all or nothing attitude, my only reasoning was that by having even a few WM's laying around would be a simple reminder of my failure to complete a goal I thought was a lifetime commitment to the hobby I had made with myself. Like Brian asked do I have books that I only own because they are WM's, heck yeah. I have about 25 Tales to Astonish books that I never thought I would ever own. :) :) :)

Captains of Industry, I so agree with you and that's what scares me the most, about the collecting ADD. Right now I am so fascinated by the fact that the entire run of MMC's is mostly red and uniform, and look very similar. That if somepone asks me what the cover of MMC #73 look like I have no idea and would have to look it up, as opposed to ASM #73 and FF #73 whose cover art is burned in my mind. Am I fascinated by the fact that some of these cover are not "politically correct" and I can't believe there was a time were things like this were acceptable? Absolutely...but like you are pointing out it might not last, and because I know myself you may be correct.

As for shows, yes I expect to come home empty handed. With SA being so plentiful, I made it conciouss decision to make it tougher by going the WM route

but have maybe set the bar too high. It would be fun to sell all the books and go one a short lived buying spree, but then when that money dried up and no new GA's showed up for sale I suppose I would be in the same boat, now wouldn't I?

I probably need to just slow down and take my time, picking up a book here and a book there will probably be more beneficial and can make me appreciate my collection more than if I spend the coming weeks checking out all the websites and getting all the dealers to bring particular books to Baltimore. After I brought them home, I'd be in the exact same position. I need to remember it's a marathon not a sprint. I should learn to be happy at a slower pace. I mean I already know I'm coming home with the highest graded copy of Cap #66 and the Penn copy of MMC #17, as I've paid for them already months ago.

As for the people that asked, I'd be working on putting together runs of CAP, MMC's and Subby together. 7.5 ish and above :wishluck:

Jim

You didn't fail, Jim....just restructuring. And you entertained a lot of us in the process. And when you bring home that Cap 66...I doubt you'll put it away without looking at it much. A fellow outside a twelve step meeting once told me...We can't always change the world, but we can always change our mind....quite liberating.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. How about a list of some particular issues you'd like to own.

Jim

Liquidity shouldn't be a concern if you collect those titles. People (including me) have been predicting for years that prices for these books in high grade will level off, well they haven't yet

P.S. How about a list of some particular issues you'd like to own.

Great idea, lets see it. :popcorn:

Well because you asked, I have developed a great fondness for most if not all the war covers, and I won't bore you with that list. Then I think both Cap and MMC's lull into a 15 or so issues rut of Crime/Robbery covers, which I don't have a great affinity too but then both I think really pick up near the end of their runs, including their "picture frame" style books. That being said I have a particular attraction to MMC #84, 88 and 92. For the Caps 65, 66, 69, 71, 74 and 75 are mentally noted in my brain.

Jim