• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THERE IS NOW A DD 7 CGC 9.6

176 posts in this topic

FT: All I can tell you is that when I started receiving books from the OO I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I can only imagine what Roter thought when he saw the 7500 books. I thought that the W PA books were the nicest that I would ever see and then lightning struck twice.

When the PC books came to light they were some of the freshest, newstand mint (as the OO described them) copies that I had ever seen. Shipped in plastic comic sleeves and once exposed, a treat to hold and admire. I felt like a kid at Christmas whenever a package would arrive.

As for Doug's PC's ALL being pressed, I don't know. I do know that there were alot of 9.6 & 9.8's that didn't require pressing in the collection.

Beautiful books in both their natural and pressed state. Do I think they should be manipulated? As a purist No, as a realist, Does it matter that a tiny impact dent was removed and the grade improved .2? No. Should it be disclosed, Yes. Will I be paying the sick prices that these books have attained? NO!

The entire hobby, oops did I just say Hobby, is no longer what it once was. Collections are worth more than some people's portfolios, collectors are dealers, and a larger percentage of dealers are pressing books!

Sorry for the Rant!

Best, Tom

Interesting perspective, Tom - thanks for sharing some of the PC knowledge......Harry.

And Doug should know better, he's no better at this point.

That would be the 'Doug' who, when advised that his JIM #112 was a Ewert book by both Brent Moeshlin and Scott Bonner, immediately sent it for a walk-thru in an attempt to get a grade bump and a new serial number?

Without declaring what he knew?

meh

Correct, and do we REALLY want to start posting MORE facts about "Doug" who, and his 'fugaze' (NY slang) background? doh!

lord...

FT: All I can tell you is that when I started receiving books from the OO I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I can only imagine what Roter thought when he saw the 7500 books. I thought that the W PA books were the nicest that I would ever see and then lightning struck twice.

When the PC books came to light they were some of the freshest, newstand mint (as the OO described them) copies that I had ever seen. Shipped in plastic comic sleeves and once exposed, a treat to hold and admire. I felt like a kid at Christmas whenever a package would arrive.

As for Doug's PC's ALL being pressed, I don't know. I do know that there were alot of 9.6 & 9.8's that didn't require pressing in the collection.

Beautiful books in both their natural and pressed state. Do I think they should be manipulated? As a purist No, as a realist, Does it matter that a tiny impact dent was removed and the grade improved .2? No. Should it be disclosed, Yes. Will I be paying the sick prices that these books have attained? NO!

The entire hobby, oops did I just say Hobby, is no longer what it once was. Collections are worth more than some people's portfolios, collectors are dealers, and a larger percentage of dealers are pressing books!

Sorry for the Rant!

Best, Tom

Thanks for being so candid, Tom. (worship) (worship) (worship)

It's nice to hear from someone who was 'there' back in the day and who isn't involved in the day-to-day politics of this board.

Nick

I've seen nicer copies

I agree. I had this one sweet sweet copy back in late 2001 early 2002 that I traded to Matt Nelson from a couple other books. This was back when CGC still had the old labels. I wonder whatever happened to that copy... hm

hahahahaha...you guys are funny, truly.

I have ZERO ability to ascertain the facts of YOUR eyes...but I do know i've owned 3, that's THREE... CGC 10.0 copies of this book, and this one is BY FAR the best copt i've seen. ;)

FYI: all the "defects" you SEE in this scan, are either on the SLAB itself, or the inner well...the book itself is flawless...comical

hahahahahahahaha

P.S.

and, YOU guys have owned HOW many CGC 10.0 copies of this book????... lol

I have ZERO ability to ascertain the facts of YOUR eyes...but I do know i've owned 3, that's THREE... CGC 10.0 copies of this book, and this one is BY FAR the best copt i've seen. ;)

FYI: all the "defects" you SEE in this scan, are either on the SLAB itself, or the inner well...the book itself is flawless...comical

hahahahahahahaha

P.S.

Very,nice book, but what do you do with three 10.0 copies ?

the Winnipegs when dan greenhalgh brought them to market had NOT been pressed as far as i know

im sure dan can verify this

THANKS FOR THE PUNCUATION AND LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:foryou:

hahahahahahahaha

P.S.

Very,nice book, but what do you do with three 10.0 copies ?

SELL...the other 2 (thumbs u

but how do you feel about an obviously already sublime Pedigree 'needing' manipulation? (shrug)

Nick this does beggar belief for a lot of us more mild mannered colectors.

Why does an uber fantastic book need to be pushed to the utmost boundaries of CGC grading...albeit well past preceived grading pereceptions as well doh!

... CGC two nicks out of the RF edge for sakes doh!doh! Do you guys let Doug have the run of the shop or something, while you guys pop out for colonics??

Careful Stacy, before you get booted again. :gossip:

I believe that CGC is much more lenient on manufacturing defects than they are on handling defects. Books with Marvel Chipping don't get nearly the downgrade that they would if those edges became so ragged from mis-handling. So if the 2 nicks are a manufacturing defect, I can see why they might still give the book a 9.6.

:blush:

Tim, ya I did get my lather up there last night... but it does steam me, plus time and time again it comes back to BSD's getting favouritism from what I can see.

:makepoint: