• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Code Authority

10 posts in this topic

So does anyone from the CCA actually ahve to read a book to get the stamp put on that issue. I noticed that the racial slur issue of the Wolverine issue I have got the CCA stamp of approval. I would have thought a word like that would have automatically disqualified the book even in this day and age? Plus I thought racial slurs were still a no no on the CCA's list.

Mephisto, that Batman list seems to be getting longer every day...

I do't know what the CCA is thinking nowadays, but IMHO, it ought to be closed down. It's an archaic remnant of a different time. Since Frank Miller started putting death and destruction into Daredevil, many CCA-approved comics don't really comply with the CCA.

Semi on-topic, my favorite CCA story. Back in the 1950s, Dell refused to put the CCA stamp on their books. They said, our comics are known to be wholesome and kid-safe. We don't need the stamp to tell people that.

Talk about confidence in your brand....

SeanK: And Dell was right! They outsold the superheroes by a wide margin throughout the '50s and into the '60s. Let's face it, if you're a parent in 1955, and your choices include Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Little Lulu, etc., why would you buy anything else for Junior? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

SeanK: And Dell was right! They outsold the superheroes by a wide margin throughout the '50s and into the '60s. Let's face it, if you're a parent in 1955, and your choices include Donald Duck, Bugs Bunny, Little Lulu, etc., why would you buy anything else for Junior? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't Garth, Bugs Bunny is really violent. If Elmer Fud is in the book with him forget it.

my favorite CCA story.

Me, I've always thought it funny that upon its inception, CCA absolutely banned from comic books the use of the word "FLICK." Seems with hand-lettering, they were worried about bleed-through between the L and the I, turning that innocent 5-letter word into a 4-letter one. Believe later there was a revenge of sorts when an underground comix appeared with the proud title of Flick Comics (Comicwiz/Dadaist?)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm, "Flick" forum profanity masking opportunity? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Believe later there was a revenge of sorts when an underground comix appeared with the proud title of Flick Comics

893whatthe.gif

Darn, yet another book to add to my want list frown.gif

Truth be told Zonker, I cannot recall if I've seen one myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if one existed.... Although I don't really see an underground comix publisher having any reservations about using a "U" in the title to get their message across.

CCA absolutely banned from comic books the use of the word "FLICK."

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure, this comix exists. I vaguely remember picking up a copy at a local shop, and the basis of one of the stories in the book was how the CCA banned the work "FLICK." But now I can't remember where I put the thing.... 893frustrated.gif

Thanks for sharing that tidbit of history. thumbsup2.gif

I don't Garth, Bugs Bunny is really violent. If Elmer Fud is in the book with him forget it.

In Toronto, a fellow by the name of Reg Hart has a fantastic collection of REALLY OLD (I would guess some of the stuff dates back to the 50's) Warner Bros cartoons. I'm pretty certain that he picked up the reels even before a number of old looney tunes cartoons (like Speedy Gonzales) got pulled in the age of political correctness.

Reg Hart runs the show at the Cineforum which is on Bathurst (south of College) in an old Victorian home converted into a movie theatre. I believe its called Sex and Violence: Looney Tunes in the Ways You've Never Seen Before.

If anyone ever gets a chance, GO! You will be amazed at the stuff Warner Bros produced back then.

One of the films features Bugs. He finds himself in Vietnam in the middle of the war. I can't say that types of things that were coming out of Bugs mouth, but lets just say that it was in bad taste, and Warner Bros would find themselves in some serious hot water if this kind of material would air in todays age of political correctness.